The things we hear returns

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Law5, Mar 17, 2014.

1. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    U13G on Saturday on a wet, muddy field. Fairly early on:

Player: "Don't listen to the parents!"
    Me: "That's some good advice."

GroveWanderer, dadman, Gary V and 2 others repped this.
  2. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good advice at any age and any conditions!

dadman and voiceoflg repped this.
  3. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Adult league last night. About ready to blow the whistle and white player asks his buddy what kind of game he can expect out of me. Buddy replies: “Don’t talk back to him and watch it. He is a stickler for the Rules.”

Mission accomplished.

Bio-Hazard, rh89, dadman and 3 others repped this.
  4. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Oh, sorry. Her back was to the field and the ball was in front of her.

It was way in. She had her arms about a 2 feet in front of her.

He knew it was in.

dadman repped this.
  5. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    First post season tournament for HS this week. Two fairly low seeded girls teams but the game ends up better than expected. Very few chippy fouls, but a couple pushes and a kick from behind are called. As the parents seem to feel each foul is causing their team to lose the game the shrieks from parents are intensifying even though players are quite calm.

Finally on a throw in the middle of the field a defender is riding the back of the attacking receiving player fairly aggressively to keep her from making a turn. The smaller receiving player goes down from the pressure from her back, a reasonable foul (and was given).

But from behind me (as AR) I hear a LOUD shriek from a woman at the very top row "THAT'S A RED CARD!"

You would have thought it was an ankle breaking double footed tackle by her response, but no, just a little push in the back on an inbound throw-in in midfield.

I will admit to laughing loud enough to probably be heard from those close by.

IASocFan, Doug the Ref and dadman repped this.
  6. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had two roars from parents for a DOGSO...er, I mean "last man" at U13 for fouls that occurred right in front of me as the AR. Both times, were close to 30 yards from goal and the player's last touch was towards the corner flag.

7. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    "Hands!!"

HS BJV
    Under pressure, Defender releases a pass to the keeper about 30 yards backward. As the ball is nearing the keeper, an Attacking player yells, "Hands!!' The meaning is You can use your hands, trying to entice the keeper to pick the ball up. I was AR on this end. The CR did not notice the misconduct. and the play continued without incident. Of course, had the keeper picked the ball up, I would have intervened...

Just another thing to add to the list of Leave it!!, Mine!! and Hah!! as verbal misconduct.

dadman repped this.
  8. MNpenguin

MNpenguin Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, But, But . . . It was a foul from behind. That has to be a RED Card! :rolleyes:o_O:whistling:

9. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    "Leave it" and "Mine" are always misconduct?

10. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the stands last night for once, sons team had a non conf game against a small Christian school before the playoff games start on Thursday. Christian school is not very strong and has some girls mixed in to make a full team. Son's team is up 3-1 in the first half. Of course all the parents know I am also a ref so whenever they yell something, they look at me to see if they were right. (annoying, but part of the job is trying to educate the masses)

Son's team crosses the ball in, defender plays the ball off his foot that bounces towards the keeper that makes a pretty good dive to pick it up. Many parents Yell "Pass back!!" as I shake my head. One of the parents asks me if I would've called that. I told him that it has to be a deliberate pass to the keeper, and does he think that the defender TRIED to almost score on his keeper down 3-1.

"Oh" is the typical reply back...

IASocFan, Law5, dadman and 1 other person repped this.
  11. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Of course. Don't you know that the rules say you have to put a name on it?!? (Oh, wait, that's one of those weird myths that keeps cropping up . . ).

More seriously, I don't think @jayhonk was suggesting that they were always, or even usually, misconduct. They are, of course, only misconduct when uttered in an unsporting way to trick an opponent into thinking the speaker is a teammate.

12. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    B19. Defender attempts to clear ball, which slams into arm of attacker three feet away. Defenders turn to AR (me) "Hands! C'mo, didn't you see that!?!" Me: "That was NOT deliberate." Defenders smile.

dadman repped this.
  13. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    The first time I heard this myth was from the sister and mother of my son's teammate, while waiting near me through the practice-ending scrimmage. One player shouted "My ball!" as he ran full-tilt to a loose ball and the sister said "Don't say that during a game - you'll get a yellow card", backed up by the mom saying "Amanda got one for that last weekend."

I didn't argue, but it is one of those questions I ask referees when we are having friendly conversations. A surprising number (not zero) agree with sis and mom.

dadman repped this.
  14. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    So you're the one that keeps reinforcing it .... :devilish:

This is one thing we DON'T get from England. Not that they don't think you "have to put a name on it". They just don't think it's a caution - play should be stopped and restart with an IFK.

15. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are they stopping play for? If for verbally distracting then the LOTG state the player must be cautioned - one of a few instances where the laws clearly state must.

16. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I'm not sure "must" in the LOTG generally means what "must" means in English . . .

Simply put, they are MSU. Apparently the myth about "putting a name on it" is even more pervasive in England, such that referees at lower levels ref to that myth and aware an IFK--despite there being no possible basis in law for it. (If pressed, I suspect some would assert that it is a subset of impeding.)

17. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Law 12 "There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour including if a player:.....verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart."

So, who of us has actually given a caution for this? I have to admit that I have not. In those very rare situations in which someone yells "mine" that may not be the player who is actually about to play the ball and is not on the same team as the player who is about to play the ball, I've never actually been able to identify who it was who yelled.

18. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :raises hand: I did so my first time ever weekend before last, kid right in the center circle screams right in an opponents ear, almost head butted him it was so close and very loud. Whistle, YC. The coach for the team I called it against coach yells at the kid "What was that!? Get back and defend, that's good refereeing" as the kid started to complain.

I am not sure what else must means. In my opinion if you stop the game for one of the items listed in Law 12 you are expected to give a YC. If you stop for something else, or determine that it was something else then I agree - no caution needed. I have found prior to the event above that a reminder to the person (or if you are not sure who did it but but you did hear it a reminder in general) will stop further occurrences without a card but I do not stop the game.

dadman repped this.
  19. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I agree there is no basis for stopping the game other than to give a caution. But it is abundantly clear that referees do not stop play and caution every time something on that list occurs. Nor are they really expected to. That's what I meant about "must." There is a whole lot of judgment that is still involved.

20. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    I've only cautioned a coach.

REC league U11, yelling "pass it, pass it!"

To get an opposing player to pass to one who is offside.

I let play continue for a moment until attacking player lost the ball, then peepity peep peep!

YC "knock that nonsense off."

dadman repped this.
  21. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to hear a story about a referee on this forum who gave a caution for that.
    U11 rec. All about fun, sportsmanship, and teamwork...

dadman and Spencedawgmillionaire repped this.
  22. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is something that, once I can identify the player, handle with a verbal warning first. If the action continues, then next comes the yellow card.

Kind of the same way I deal with language when it is a little to loud, but not necessarily directed at anyone. A quick fly by with "Hey, I know you are frustrated. Next time pick a different word, or lower the volume. If not, I will have to deal with it."

IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  23. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Me, too. Once. Last year. Attacker yells "Leave it!", defender leaves it and it goes through to the attacker, who is on the wing about 14 yards from goal. I *had* to stop play. I cautioned the attacker.

HS, so I'm supposed to announce the reason for the card. I head over to the attacker's coach.
    Coach: "What happened. Why is that a card?"
    Me: "Look coach, turn it around. Would you want the other team to be able to do that to you?"
    Coach: "Um, no. Good point. Jimmy, go report into the game at left wing."

Bubba Atlanta and dadman repped this.
  24. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have. Adult league, GK goes up in the air to catch a very high (almost straight up) header. Offensive player goes running straight up to him, arms waving and screaming "AHHHHHH". Whistle and here's your card.
    Me: "You cant do that. Its unsporting behavior."
    Player: "I have done it plenty and never been told I couldn't."
    Me: "Well, now you know."
    Player: "Thats f-ing BS."
    Me: "And here's the other color card."

That was in my season a while back where I gave like 56 cards in 26 games. I think I gave a card for just about every form of misconduct and foul in the book besides spitting that season

Bubba Atlanta, IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  25. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I view "must" in this context as a British English version of "well, you really ought to, you know." So, in American English, "you should give a caution for this behavior, unless you see some good reason not to do so."