The things we hear returns

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Law5, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Speaking of which, what are some techniques/tools I might have used to help the (otherwise very effective) young center get to that point, or at least not to permit the coach to rant on like he did? As AR1, I stood shoulder to shoulder with him and weathered the blast, weighing in with "we've heard you coach, that's enough" etc., and counseled him on it at the half and after the game. (He got it.)

What I wanted to do but didn't -- not wanting to wholly undercut his authority in front of the coaches -- was turn to him in the moment and say "That's more than enough. Use your card." (All the while wishing it was a dual rather than a diagonal, in which case the whole diatribe never would have got off the ground ....)

2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Some things just take experience -- sounds like you did what you could in the context and he'll be better prepared next time.

BTFOOM, dadman and Law5 repped this.
  3. MNpenguin

MNpenguin Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An option I have used is, during that situation, to face the referee and surreptitiously tap the shirt pocket and hope they see it and get the strong hint.

4. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Yeah. At that point I would have had to interpose myself between him and the coaches with my face to him and my back to them to pull that off ... awkward at best.

5. MNpenguin

MNpenguin Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you don't have to get between them, but rather form a triangle of the three of you so they can see your "signal" hint while still supporting them.

6. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Ah. Yep. Maybe. Good thought. Thanks.

7. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    I personally wouldn't have any problem with the coach knowing that I'm campaigning to get him a card to shut his pie hole. If nothing else, he knows what we're going to talk about at half time. If the CR isn't going to support me at that point, we've got other problems.

I had a Boys HS D2 semi final. Home team coach is a College D1 ref. He's riding the CR and me like rented mules. I cannot get the CR to card him. The coach even remarks to me "He's not going to support you, is he?"

At the half, the ref crew got together and discussed. I and the other AR let the CR know that we needed a caution for the coach or his staff the next time they got out of hand.

Sure enough, something happens, the ref comes over to card the coach. I point to an assistant and say "Please get him, too". Center at least does card the assistant as well. The Assistant coach says "What for?". His head coach says "Sit down and shut up."

The rest of the game, they'd send one coach at a time up to give instructions. The couple of times they wanted to complain about a call, they sent the one assistant coach that hadn't been carded, and he kept things blessedly short.

Much more enjoyable second half.

8. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Watching the first half of a U14B game, mainly to see how much I can see on a full size field post surgery. I can now see the numbers on the players all the way across the field!

Both teams doing a good bit of pushing and the CR admonishes both. Later a full two-handed shove in the back causes a red player to earn a yellow card. Later still, red midfielder dribbling down the spectator sideline gets shoved two-handed not once, but twice, but keeps control of the ball. Red fans screaming for a foul but the CR says "play on". I say to one next to me that the red player still has possession of the ball. She said "so?" Midfielder passes to a forward who crosses to another and scores. The defense was in disarray. I told the red fans "that is why a foul wasn't called. If it had, the defense would have had time to get back and get in a better position." The lady next to me said "He still should have blown the whistle and called a foul."

:rolleyes:

I left at halftime. I tried teaching Sunday School to fourth-graders once. I didn't feel like educating parents about soccer.

Law5, dadman, IASocFan and 1 other person repped this.
  9. Louisvillereferee

Real Madrid
    United States
    Apr 11, 2017
    You don't card coaches anyway, send them to the parking lot or at least far away from the field

10. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    You do under HS rules. It's one of the few things I like better about that rule set.

BTFOOM, IASocFan and voiceoflg repped this.
  11. wh1s+1eR

wh1s+1eR Member

Apr 23, 2017
    #2586 wh1s+1eR, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    We always say that.
    Here's Nine, and that's Point One Five. Wait for my whistle.
    On forum, people are from everywhere, yes? Is everyone turning metric now?
    This thread is hilarious, although still dont know who is serious and who not.

A few years ago, I was flag duty and in competition league that had many english coaches. One comment loudly, that's not 10, tell him Lino. I say it never was 10, it always is (a Gary V mentioned) 9 metres and 15 C M. I look at him while saying (dead ball situation), we exchange smiles. That coach now no problem. It is more than 3 years now.

Law5 and dadman repped this.
  12. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is more of a: the things I say story.

Yesterday I was working our local men's league and at one point I call a PK. My AR (highly opinionated) is not convinced but it's not his call to make. Some defenders go talk to him and exchange words, then they come to me and tell me that the AR doesn't think it was a foul. I turn to the defenders and say. "That guy? he doesn't know shit.". and they bust out laughing. The PK was saved and I do a fly by the defending captain and say "Let me guess, ball don't lie?" with a smile on my face. He pets me on my back and we get back to the game.

A bit of context. This mostly Latino league has quite a few local referees that only work this league and are know for better or for worse. This particular referee is known for guessing instead of being in the right spot and making the right calls. I have a good relationship with both teams so I can get away with some of the stuff that I say.

Law5 and wh1s+1eR repped this.
  13. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Spectator 1: "[Spectator 2], I tried a cannoli! I didn't like it."
    Spectator 2: "You didn't like it! Where did you go?"
    Spectator 1: "I went to a bakery like you said, Carlos' Bakery in [suburb]."
    Spectator 2: "You can't get a cannoli from 'Carlos'!"
    I really wanted to turn around and say, "You wouldn't get a tamale from Luigi."

dadman and voiceoflg repped this.
  14. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    High level U16 match...crafty center midfielder is playing thru all kinds of contact as she drives to the left of the penalty area. Ball goes out for a throw.

Me: 24, you okay playing thru that! (It was early)
    Her: If I fall down, then you can call it.

Later, she scored the winning goal from about 30 yards out. A ridiculous shot.

Did I mention it rained for all 4 matches and was about 50 degrees? Did I tell you I somehow took my large black garbage bag out of my bag before leaving?

dadman, IASocFan and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  15. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an AR why would you even admit to the players that you don't agree with the call. That's something that I would talk about with the CR after the game or at halftime, but to openly disagree is unethical.

BTFOOM repped this.
  16. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
  17. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
  18. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When asked about a puzzling call, I always say, "he has different angle than we do! I don't know!" True, ethical, and not throwing the CR under the bus.

Kit repped this.
  19. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    I have GOT to stretch more before games.

SccrDon, dadman and Law5 repped this.
  20. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Agree. Or, "I was looking at the offsides line" (or something else legitimate).

I had this on a PK this past weekend, I was AR and as was trotting back up the line after the goal was scored, the offending team's bench was in my ear that the kicking team entered the box early. "Didn't you see that?!?!" "Nope. I am looking down the goal line making sure the keeper doesn't move early."

dadman repped this.
  21. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Or "No, you were up on the line screaming and blocked my view." :whistling:

dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  22. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Had something similar happen a few weeks back...
    I call offside on a player and the AR signalled nothing, eye contact, I shake my head "yes" at him, he shrugs his shoulders (wish he hadn't) and the coach explodes over it.

Coach gripes: Why didn't AR signal it? Why is he over here shrugging at you?

I merely stated "it's offside because I called her offside, he didn't see it the same way, she's offside."

At half AR explains he thought a deflection played her onside. I disagreed, told him, if the sideline says one word to you, signal me and I'll deal with it.

I think the best way to deal with it so far, for me, is to explain "I called it because I saw it from the other side/differently." Hard to sell if you're 20 yards behind the play, but if you're right on top of it, nobody can complain.

IASocFan repped this.
  23. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    In my reasonably recent memory, every time I've been tempted to blow for offside when the flag stayed down I didn't, and every time I've been glad of that when I discussed it with the AR afterwards.

seattlebeach, ArgylleRef and Law5 repped this.
  24. wh1s+1eR

wh1s+1eR Member

Apr 23, 2017

But you also hear what you say, right? So people here will permit that.

Or I will also have to change my posting.

tomek75 repped this.
  25. wh1s+1eR

wh1s+1eR Member

Apr 23, 2017
    One of the technical staff said to me when I was assistant, the latter part - Lino, you are blocking my view.

I had not many minutes ago told him to not be jumping around when main coach give instructions, and also to stay within his technical area. His response was "What if I dont?" Remember, only one instruction each time, not two, not all. Page 7 in rules. So when he comment blocking view, I do not totally ignore him, I tell him with a smile, You could tell your player to move. And anytime, I can arrange for you to get better view, from up there. (moving my head toward stadium."

He smile too, and life is good again.

On higher level of interaction, this is passing the blame - You are blocking my view.
    For me, I pass back. Banter, no worry, but now I also establish case building. When time come for calling referee to sent him stadium way, he cannot complain too much, right?

dadman, Bubba Atlanta and chaoslord08 repped this.