The things we hear returns - 2019, 20 and beyond edition

Discussion in 'Referee' started by djmtxref, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Adult co-ed game. I call the "captains" for the toss. I had decided to use my New Zealand coin, "Lizzie is the heads, the kiwi is no tails." One of the captains was actually from New Zealand. He thanked me for using that coin and wanted to check it out. "Is that a florin?" "I got it when my daughter spent a semester at Otago." "Did you like the country?" "We didn't go visit while she was there." "Oh, you should have." Got the game off to a very friendly start.

Doug the Ref, MJ91, dadman and 1 other person repped this.
  2. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    Now you guys are just being mean. It was a really dark blue..................

dadman repped this.
  3. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    Just had back-to-back U8 games... and well... U8 as a solo can be tough at times.

I had U8G and that was laid back until it wasn't. About middle of the way during the 3rd QTR, I tweet after subs go on/off and hear, in unison, "Ref! Stop the game, STOP THE GAME!!"

I look over to the action and I see a gaggle of red players on one blue player like 15v1. Somehow, someway (and through fault of my own for not checking), the red team while switching mistook a whistle for just play-on and too many players were on the field.

But... I will say that some refs won't even get my attention to do subs and if the player is close by, they'll just quietly switch. It's rec-league match, but still.

Overall, U8G went well, to the point where the coach's wife coming up to shake my hand "It's always a pleasure when you ref our games." Always nice to hear that.

But U8 boys as solo? That's a fun one. Especially if you're like me, a newbie in first year still learning the ropes. :) There were 2 instances were I may have called it wrong (goalkick when it should have been corner) . In 1 return, I heard "that should have been a corner...?"

Not too pleased with myself in the 2nd game but I keep telling myself "that's why they have asst refs... need to work on positioning, you're not perfect... only your 1st year..."

Anyway, watching many U8 games... they can really offers some zany goals.

heynowref, IASocFan, MJ91 and 3 others repped this.
  4. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    U12B game. Center does DA, ECNL and high school playoff games. I'm AR1 and have done a few NPL and a handful of SCCL games. Home team is attacking my way and I look at 2LD expecting a through ball. I do not see what happened near the center circle. Coach behind me is calling for a foul. CR is maybe ten yards away at most. Coach keeps calling for me to raise the flag for a foul. I tell him I didn't see it and even if I did, the center is a lot closer and saw it better than I could. Coach said "But you could raise your flag and overrule him!"

The "I unfriend you" commercial where the woman says "That's not how it works" popped in my head and I tried not to laugh.

IASocFan, Law5, MJ91 and 2 others repped this.
  5. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    When a coach asks for a foul from me as AR 1, my standard response is “sorry, coach, I didn’t see it. I was watching the line.”

dadman, Kit, IASocFan and 5 others repped this.
  6. SparkeyG

SparkeyG Member

Feb 25, 2002
    Mokena, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was AR1 on a O40 match between two ethnic, eastern European teams. They spoke their mother tongue and I think that either they all share the same name or I learned a new polish curse word. ;-)

dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  7. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Similar experience with a Bosnian team. I now have one word of Serbo-Croatian, which is pronounced "brow," but it means "good." At least that's what the team leader was yelling at his teammates.

dadman, IASocFan and SparkeyG repped this.
  8. oldmanref

oldmanref New Member

madrid
    Mexico
    Apr 1, 2019
    I guess file this under stuff you read:

https://abc11.com/raleigh-man-charged-with-dwi-after-driving-onto-in-use-soccer-field/5303530/

9. keeper dad

keeper dad Member

Jun 24, 2011
    That link is very timely. Any time I am selling or training people on personal umbrella liability I use an example of "if you were to lose control and drive off the road and into a soccer field, running over 15 kids, how much insurance do you think you would need?" I now have a real world story to point to in my training session tomorrow morning.

IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  10. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    jnielsen and dadman repped this.
  12. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    This was posted on the forum previously as it is from March as you can see from the timestamp on the tweet.

13. refinDC

refinDC Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Men's league: "I don't know why you like reffing this league, but we're glad when you do"

jnielsen, MJ91, voiceoflg and 8 others repped this.
  14. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was working President's Cup finals the weekend and Sunday afternoon the fields were starting to turn over to the local adult league. Naturally the discussion in the ref area turned from discussion of the sketchy youth play to sketchy adult league play we have all seen, and someone said something I will keep in my pocket from now on. The comment one guy said he made to a player after one particularly egregious challenge was "Hey buddy. Do you have to go to work in the morning? Yeah, well the guy you just put on the ground does too."

SkiRacer, MJ91, dadman and 4 others repped this.
  15. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Adult co-ed 3rd division. When I go to check in the white team, the manager is fumbling with the roster and cards. He says, "I'm sorry I don't have it all ready for you." I told him, "Well, I know your team name." One of the other players asks him, "What IS our team name?" "Chaos."

Kempa, swoot, MrPerfectNot and 6 others repped this.
  16. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    This is a good one. Last game of a long weekend at a college showcase. Very good teams. White sticks a leg out and trips blue. White says, “I didn’t foul her, she tripped over my leg!”

Referee (me): thanks. That’s the definition of a foul.

IASocFan, Law5, dadman and 1 other person repped this.
  17. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    U18 2nd tier championship game at a Memorial Day Tourney.

Coach mutters: “You guys are f****** terrible.”

His team won by the way.

18. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    My hope is he took no further part in that match.

swoot repped this.
  19. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And from the lack of anything else in your post, I can only assume that the coach was not dismissed?

20. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    On my way to the car tonight, I walk past a group of the losing parents, who don’t notice me. I overhear one say. “He called everything in the first half, but the let everything go in the second”.

I called 2 fouls in the first half and 8 in the second half.

IASocFan, Law5, YoungRef87 and 5 others repped this.
  21. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Is it possible the 1st 2 were against their team and the next 8 against the opponents? :eek:

Rufusabc repped this.
  22. Houston Ref

Houston Ref Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Co-ed over 30 league. Five weeks ago I was CR in a game that had one controversial call. A player who didn't like my call told me on the way off the field that, "You are the WORST referee, EVER!"

One week later, after a game with no controversial calls, several players complimented me on the game, with one telling me, "BEST officiated game, EVER!"

Beat that improvement, fellow referees! ;)

appwrangler, MJ91, IASocFan and 11 others repped this.
  23. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    6-4 foul count. 6 against the winners.

24. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Hah...see...they were right. Call it both ways!! :mad:

dadman and Rufusabc repped this.
  25. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    He wasn’t. I told the center and other AR, but they agreed that since it didn’t disrupt the game, a send-off wasn’t necessary.