The things we hear returns - 2019, 20 and beyond edition

Discussion in 'Referee' started by djmtxref, Jan 12, 2019.

1. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I’ve always told players and coaches when they don’t agree with a call I’m making “that I have to make calls you are not going to agree with”.

jnielsen, IASocFan, jayhonk and 2 others repped this.
  2. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Tonight as AR2 at halftime of a U15 boys premier game, from the CR who was letting everything go: "It's a man's game". Not what I wanted to hear. I should have followed my instincts and run away right there. Game ended with 4 yellows and 1 red and lots of upset folks. Nice way to start the season. It can only get better right?

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the snow finally melt to allow you guys to play in Minnesota? :)

4. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    It's pretty much gone now, you might find a pile still hiding somewhere that sees no sunlight. It rained on us tonight for a bit with temps in the 60s. Pretty comfortable really.

OTOH the forecast here for Saturday is a rain/snow mix.

IASocFan repped this.
  5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The number of games I had in the 40s with rain in NC this season made me feel like I was back in MN for the spring season.

6. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I’m in Milwaukee to celebrate my Dad’s 70th birthday. Saturday I will be reminded why I live in Alabama.

dadman and Dayton Ref repped this.
  7. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Wow...you were doing matches in the 40's. I was still a kid then. :p

Rufusabc, voiceoflg, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  8. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I was doing a men's O-50 2nd division game yesterday. I whistle up a player for offside who was a step too fast chasing a through ball. The passer says "Don't you think I looked to see if he was offside first?" "Yeah, and while you were looking, he ran off." "You aren't supposed to know that."

We also had a discussion during check in centering around the idea that "the old bald guy" as a descriptor for one of the players out warming up didn't really narrow things down very much.

voiceoflg, dadman, IASocFan and 2 others repped this.
  9. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    I'm AR2, pretty even semi-skilled 9v9 league match, arms and slight pushing-off starting to increase...

CR whistles two opponents going at it, I watch him closely and successfully decipher what he's doing as he's having words with the two players.

Meanwhile, an ever-so-helpful parent about 10 yds from me...

"Well, ok Ref, just make sure you call that both ways. ... What's he doing? ... [looks towards me] Who was that on?"
    "He called it both ways sir. Just like you requested." [keeps straight face]

"Huh? Who's ball is it?"
    "He called simultaneous pushing fouls, so there will be a drop ball restart. Both teams will have a chance for possession."

"Really? I've never heard of that. How do you know that?"
    [Points to badge and smiles.]

"I guess we have adults today that know what they're doing."
    [Smiles]

A few parents that know the three of us let out a chuckle... CR & AR1 are coaches that were just recently certified... it's CR's first 9v9 match with the whistle.

jnielsen, roby, DefRef and 5 others repped this.
  10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Hmm. But that’s not really protocol anymore. We’re supposed to sort out which foul was worse.

11. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    I know, but he did just certify and it was his first U12 CR assignment... At least he recognized he had a situation escalating and attempted to deal with it. We did have a post-game chat on the topic.

But, given how many times we hear "Call it both ways", I found my once-in-a-career opportunity to respond that the CR literally did call it both ways with one call was a bit too entertaining to pass up...

jnielsen, Doug the Ref, DefRef and 6 others repped this.
  12. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    USL Pro game, foul called against the visiting team. Their coach yells "Call it BOTH ways!" I look up at the Jumbotron and the foul count was 6 to 6. With some people, it's just an automatic response when they can't argue that it really wasn't a foul, but it was against them, so they have to say something.

MJ91 repped this.
  13. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Here’s a good one from a low level U13G game. I’m AR2. CR whistles for handball

From behind me, “That’s never a handball ref! It came off her ELBOW!”

I couldn’t contain my smirk as I quickly moved down the line and away from the guy. I was about to start laughing and needed to get out of there.

dadman and MJ91 repped this.
  14. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never thought “call it both ways” had anything to do with evening the number of call for each team. Rather, similar contact be called equally for both teams.

15. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    It's both, so the referee has two different ways of getting it wrong to the partisan eyes.

YoungRef87, roby, dadman and 12 others repped this.
  16. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One time, I was doing a rec indoor soccer game. There was a foul committed 5 seconds after the kick off, and one coach yelled, "Call it both ways!" My response was, "Give me a chance."

YoungRef87, MJ91, dadman and 3 others repped this.
  17. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    An example of why I have never thought "call it both ways" means anything more than "I didn't like that call against my team."

jnielsen, roby, Kit and 6 others repped this.
  18. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    First adult co-ed game of the season. 5th division (out of 7.) Two guys chasing the ball towards the corner, nobody else within 20 yards of them. Minor bump, not a foul, causes one guy to fall down. (there was a lot of no contact falling down in this game, as well as several stepping on the ball falling down incidents.) The ball is slowly rolling towards the touch line, but the bumper doesn't go after it. Instead, he goes over to shake the hand of the bumpee, completely ignoring the ball. Players on both teams are laughing and the captain of one team says, "Can't you guys wait to high five each other until after the game?"

White team scores the first goal and the green team goalkeeper is embarrassed by the goal. He picks the ball out of the net and brings it up for the kickoff. My spidy sense was now on full alert about whether he was going to do something stupid with the opponents. No. He was just going to take the kickoff.

YoungRef87, MJ91, dadman and 1 other person repped this.
  19. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    Last Sunday - yet another rainy day - 4 premier games on turf.

Last game - first boys game - U15 and I'm the CR. Wow, energy is easily double of any of the earlier games and much faster. Started out tired, but quickly got energized and enjoying myself.

Blue team is much better, but committing lots of aggressive fouls and I'm calling them. Nothing card worthy - pushes before high ball lands, going up for header with hands on shoulders, quick shirt tugs, etc... And they are up 4-0 and white team does not have a shot yet.

Half time comes and get together with ARs and the one I don't know compliments me on a well called half. I'm feeling good, not dragging like usual after a full day of games.

2nd half starts and I call 2 quick fouls on black. Coach blares out "ah c'mon ref, call it both ways, arghhh, YOU'RE THE WORST EVER" (in that ubiquitous English accent). I could not help myself, just laughed and said, "sure, coach, sure". Game went on without further incident.

In hindsight, I know I should probably have "done something", but it was just so out of the blue and just flat out wrong that it was more funny than anything else.

YoungRef87, IASocFan, dadman and 3 others repped this.
  20. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    U9 boys tournament match. One little guy is absolutely full of piss in vinegar, but is playing soccer and it's kind of hilarious watching him go 200MPH when everyone else is still in second gear.

Parent: Honey, you have to mark that kid and beat him to the ball"
    Kid: I can't, he's, like 7 feet tall! (Opposing player is maybe 4" taller)
    Parent: He's not 7' tall!
    Kid: Yeah, well to ME he is!

YoungRef87, IASocFan, dadman and 4 others repped this.
  21. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bonus points for using the ' and " appropriately for feet and inch measurements. Cuz when you get it wrong....

dadman and Spencedawgmillionaire repped this.
  22. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    You did do something, and sounds like it worked. Doing something does not always mean being harsh. (Indeed, as I think about it, laughing at some of the whining players last night would have been a good strategy for me.)

dadman, MJ91 and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  23. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last night state cup play-in game U13B. Red vs Blue. Red is clearly a more physical and better skilled team. At one point a Red player trips an opponent by the halfway line right on the parents touch line. I call the foul and the kid goes, "But the ran into my leg?" to which I replied "And your leg magically appeared right in front of his path". Parents get a kick out of that one.

YoungRef87, MJ91 and dadman repped this.
  24. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    It's obvious you were on a different field/game for the second half and the coach of black was taking out his frustrations of his previous official.

Bubba Atlanta and dadman repped this.
  25. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Nah, he just forgot to change his name to @ColorBlindRef.
    :)

sam_gordon repped this.