The things we hear returns - 2019, 20 and beyond edition

Discussion in 'Referee' started by djmtxref, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "You guys should stick to the [fields where lower level MBB games are played]."
    Background, game 1 ended up being a lopsided affair after one team got a DOGSO-F red card early in the second half then proceeded to bitch at the referee after every decision. The losing team ended up with 4 YC (3 for dissent) and a RC.
    My center only made it to 20 minutes before AR2 and I heard thunder. I hit my whistle and said to clear the field at which point every player said something along the lines of, "Its not thunder, it is lightning!" We got a phone determined that it was 9.5 miles away, confirmed with the league that it is under 10 miles, double checked with the radar and saw 6.8 miles. "It is now under 7, game is over!"

As the crew was changing at our cars, this guy, who hadn't left is car at any point, pulls up, rolls down his window, and tells us how bad we all are. As we were changing, we debated if he had stayed past the first game and didn't like that one or if he was there for the second game and thought we were wimps for calling the game for thunder while in the relative safety of car.

Part II

Goalkeeper from one team was saying, even before the game, "The radar doesn't look good, we should just go home. [...] I have a massive hangover from last night." "[Raised eyebrow]?" "I went to Texas Tech so I was partying." "I totally get that and congratulations."

Law5, dadman and voiceoflg repped this.
  2. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    U13G First Div. (although the level of play is way down from 1st Div. a couple of years ago, with DA and NPSL, I guess)

GK: "Coach, my shoe is untied!"
    Coach to Asst. Coach: "Go around behind the goal and tie her shoe when you get a chance."
    AR1 (Me): "You can't do that. She has to get a teammate to do it."
    Coach (utterly incredulous): "What!? These are 12 year old girls. I can't do that.??"
    Coach (engaging Asst. Coach): "Can you believe what he is saying. I have been <something> for 36 years. I've never heard anything like that!"
    Coach then goes on to inform the opposing coach of this astonishing prohibition. Thankfully, he never directly addresses me again, since my next response was going to be "You're kidding, right?"
    GK gets a defender to tie her shoe, without much trouble.

MJ91, dadman and voiceoflg repped this.
  3. Rocinante

Rocinante Member

Oct 9, 2018
    You know it's first division and not rec because they asked the coach to tie their shoes instead of the referee. ;)

Law5, dadman, YoungRef87 and 2 others repped this.
  4. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is your backpedaling instructional video. You're welcome! :)

https://imgur.com/r/gif/Oe1CTWL

MJ91, tomek75, IASocFan and 1 other person repped this.
  5. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    That's pretty much how I do it, but I never cheat and look back.

6. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I don't have the knees...nor the vertebrae to do that.

MJ91 and RefIADad repped this.
  7. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    I think this is a time to exercise Law 18. Depends on the nature of the game and participants, of course.

Also, not really sure what relation NPSL would have to the quality of the U13G league.

jasonakramer repped this.
  8. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    I don't know from initials...
    I think the quality drop is because the soccer boom ended a few years ago.
    But this league used to be seriously top quality, now they got Div. 1 --out of 9 -- teams that can't string two passes together.

But in regard to running out on the field and tying the goalie's shoes...?
    U8, U9, U10 Sure.
    U11, U12 Maybe.
    U13 Nope.
    If you are playing on the big field, we are playing big girl soccer.

dadman and voiceoflg repped this.
  9. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think he meant NPL which is a youth league from NPSL which is of course an adult league.

10. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    #160 Bubba Atlanta, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Coach entering the field of play, yes, agreed on the U13 Nope (although not necessarily on the Sure and Maybe at the lower levels).

But ... "Go around behind the goal and tie her shoe when you get a chance" ... I don't think I would choose to pick a fight on that one, especially as AR. If you feel you absolutely must say something, "Don't go on the field, and don't have her leave the field" might suffice.

MJ91, tomek75, Geko and 2 others repped this.
  11. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    HS varsity boys, I'm AR-1, local rivalry, good level of play, all club players, hard fought, well played game, 0-0 until 25 seconds left when the center awards a PK to the visitors, which they bury, and the game ends 1-0. Afterwards home coach says to the center, "That was a good call. Not many would have made it."

Maybe this one should have gone under Games That Make You Not Want to Quit.

Then again, AR-2 would have put it in the other thread. Turns out he endured unmitigated grief from the stands for the entire second half.

Law5, MJ91, Rocinante and 4 others repped this.
  12. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Coach: "She's standing in front of the goalkeeper. She has to be offsides!"
    This was after a corner kick ended up near the penalty spot, an attacker took a shot right at another attacker with the keeper behind her. The attacker redirected it to the side and in the goal. Meanwhile there was still a defender standing on the post.
    This team is something like pre DA. The club has fielded girls DA teams at U17 and U13 this year, but don't count to any standings. I have a feeling that they are in for a shock that probably won't get better next year. Their 13s are getting .549 points per game and 17s are a dismal .1875 which would be second from the bottom for all of DA

MJ91, YoungRef87 and IASocFan repped this.
  13. wguynes

wguynes Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    I had to read that twice to get the point.
    Two opponents closer to the goal line than either attacker.
    All the team statistics kind of obfuscated things. :)

14. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    CR on Rec 9v9 co-ed U12/13. With the mixed bag of lower skills & athleticism, during check-in I usually make a few brief procedural & safety points including challenges/contact on GK in possession/reaching for the ball... "if in doubt, pull up and don't risk hurting the goalkeeper."

A very small-statured girl - evidently the home team's "Mighty Mouse" - folds her arms and ever so charmingly says, "Well, I might have trouble with that one..." then cutely continues, "... what happens if I don't?"

I just smile and pull a card out of each pocket and in a warm soft voice reply, "Well, I do have these to deal with certain kinds of problems..."

"OOOooohh....", her eyes get big and body bends backwards like I'm holding a pair of baby tarantulas... "I think I'll be able to do it then!" "Ok, thank you!"

But of course, some of the boys are fascinated... "Are those plastic?", "I didn't know you had those!", "Cool!", "How many times have you used them?!?", "Can I hold one?", etc., etc., etc., ...

I looked at the coach who's shaking his head, "Sorry, Coach. I'll give you a few to get 'em refocused". He laughs with opens arms, "Welcome to my world..."

DaBurg, Law5, IASocFan and 3 others repped this.
  15. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    MS-aged Rec, first with the out-of-town visitors. I've heard head coach is good, assistant is nice but often "politely" question calls... As CR I heard nothing until after the game...

"Sir, I have a question for you..." (ugh, this must be the guy...) "On that high kick..."
    "Pardon, what high kick?"

"The high kick before their goal with about XX left in the half... I was wondering why you decided not to call it?"
    "Well, Coach, I don't recall it, so either it was not dangerous play from my viewpoint or I simply missed it. :)"

After a minute of his polite sharing of other knowledge, I ask, "Coach, if you have an eye for it, how about helping out with the referee shortage in your area?" ;)
    Of course hands go up, "Oh, no! Nooo way! I just wanted to make you aware of the high kick." :rolleyes:

I raised one eyebrow like Mr. Spock, "I see...... Have a safe drive home, I've got another kickoff in a few minutes..."
    He departs, "Okay, thank you!"
    o_O

jnielsen, Kempa, IASocFan and 3 others repped this.
  16. SparkeyG

SparkeyG Member

Feb 25, 2002
    Mokena, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last night at a well fought U13 match, I heard "¡vamos equipo, vamos! " over and over and over for 10 mins straight. I haven't had a game with such a dedicated supporters group.

dadman repped this.
  17. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    Doesn't that actually translate to 'the referee needs glasses"?

dadman, seattlebeach, RefIADad and 2 others repped this.
  18. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Not sure to put this here or start a new thread "Myths we perpetuate."

U16G rec, I'm AR2. A foul against green in green's attacking half. Blue sets a wall a good 13 yards back. Green shows no attempt at a quick kick. CR tweets his whistle to make sure no one starts until he blows the whistle. Then, without anyone asking, he steps off ten yards. He then invites Blue to step up to where he was. The girls looked confused, shrugged their shoulders, and stepped up a few yards. A parent asked me if I have ever seen that and I admitted "Never." This was the same CR that previously tried to call a PK on a deliberate pass to the keeper.

dadman, IASocFan, MJ91 and 2 others repped this.
  19. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I worked with that guy a few years ago and saw him set a wall at ten feet. :(

dadman, roby, IASocFan and 1 other person repped this.
  20. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #170 RefIADad, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    I know this is normally a thread for those "WTF" sayings we hear, but I heard one last night that was actually a constructive comment from an assistant coach.

I was an AR for a big-school conference game last night. I had worked for one of the teams earlier in the week as the center, and the assistant coach complimented me on my work as the center during a short injury break. (surprising since his team lost in that game, but I do think it shows that once the heat of competition is done that there are some rational coaches out there!!). He then said something that stuck with me - "You did a very good job talking to the players during the course of the game. It seems like that as long as the boys know you're out there and knowing that you are seeing things, they will go ahead and just play."

Did the players always agree with my calls? Of course not. But I did notice that as long as I was talking through some items with players during the course of the game that they at least respected that I was willing to hear their concerns.

jnielsen, YoungRef87, voiceoflg and 7 others repped this.
  21. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just be careful, talking to players is a double-edged sword. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it has the opposite effect. Especially with girls!

YoungRef87, dadman, roby and 2 others repped this.
  22. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    I have to imagine he meant talking as in "no foul there boys, I saw the same thing you did", "no handball, nope, nope", etc. Not, "how was your date last night", or "good shot, much better than than green guy's shank". I have found there cannot be enough of the first talking by a referee, and I think that is what RefADad meant

voiceoflg, dadman, roby and 1 other person repped this.
  23. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    FWIW, that's how I read it too.

voiceoflg and dadman repped this.
  24. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    So you're saying I shouldn't have started off with the guys last night with "So what do y'all think of the Mueller report?"

Actually, after the Senior Night festivities between the boys and girls games, I started off with handing the ball to the home center forward for the kickoff and saying my usual "Do something good with it." "I will." "Are you a senior?" "Yes sir." "Congratulations." "Thanks!" and a big grin.

25. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly what I meant. I'm not trying to be social. I'm trying to let the players know that I'm seeing things on the field.

YoungRef87, dadman, MJ91 and 2 others repped this.