The things we hear returns - 2019, 20 and beyond edition

Discussion in 'Referee' started by djmtxref, Jan 12, 2019.

1. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I refereed nine games the last two days. All girls games. One coach said, "I've coached boys and girls 20 years. I'd much rather coach girls. Boys are stupid."

dadman repped this.
  2. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Of course they are. It's why we're able to have wars.

SccrDon, Rufusabc and dadman repped this.
  3. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    It took him 20 years to figure that out?
    Back in the '70s, the feminists said that "men suffer from testosterone poisoning." I always thought that was a bunch of garbage, until I started refereeing high school boys' soccer.

dadman, IASocFan, Kit and 4 others repped this.
  4. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I always thought it was a bunch of garbage until mine started going down. I haven't blown the horn at anybody in years. (Well, mostly. I still make an exception when somebody blocks the intersection at a stoplight ...)

Geko repped this.
  5. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As an AR this weekend I called offside. The dads behind me say, "Ahh! A step off, dang." The moms 5-10 yards upfield yell, "It's okay! You were on!" :thumbsdown:

YoungRef87, dadman, IASocFan and 3 others repped this.
  6. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand the "unlucky", "you're fine, it's a bad call" shouts. What will make you better as a player, a coach telling you to pay more attention or someone telling you to do whatever you want because referees are evil and wrong? Instead of yelling "unlucky" when you shank a shot or give up a foul, why not give helpful instruction?

The coach in me just can't stand the "unlucky" culture.

7. swoot

swoot Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Unlucky" means they drew a good referee who will actually be in the correct position and will call the foul. ;-)

dadman, IASocFan, voiceoflg and 2 others repped this.
  8. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What did I here last weekend? Polish, lots of Polish. Coach’s eyes literally bulging out of head at an 8 YEAR OLD KEEPER. Game ended 7-7, and I almost tossed him for his comments towards me. Probably should’ve tossed him. If I spoke Polish he probably wouldn’t have made it 15 minutes (indoor games are 43 minutes running countdown). Definitely won’t make that mistake next time.

dadman, MrPerfectNot and Law5 repped this.
  9. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    I always thought it was "unlucky" that the run and pass didn't connect on time, on side. They were successful in being able to see the play and pass, but were unlucky to not pull it off. Unlucky, to me, says keep trying, you'll get it right, hopefully next time.

jnielsen, dadman, Count Chocula and 5 others repped this.
  10. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yelling "unlucky" at a shanked shot is completely different from yelling it at a foul. With the crap grass fields an untimely bounce can cause a wayward shot. That's the definition of "unlucky".

dadman, voiceoflg, seattlebeach and 3 others repped this.
  11. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There are some cases where the ball doesn't move in an expected manner. However, and I may be wrong, I think @Geko is referring more to the general faultless culture that pervades children today.
    In my example, "It's not your fault the referee got it wrong." vs "Jane, that pass has to happen sooner" or "Suzie, you have to hold your run a bit more."
    In the first, the kid doesn't need to, as my wife says, "Fix your problem!" The second and third requires ownership of the result and a change in action instead of doing the same thing again.

dadman, Count Chocula and Geko repped this.
  12. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had a coach in a HS boys game say "Keep doing what your doing Joe" to his player after I called him for a foul. Even though I should NOT have, I said, "Yea, and if you do, I will call that foul as well." Loud enough for both coaches and the player to hear. Telling you players to do something I just SHOWED them was wrong really grinds my gears...

13. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    I think you were fine to say something in that case

dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  14. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I once had a U12 girls game last year where a defender did a slide tackle, got 100% ball first, but then lifted her leg as the attacker came by and caught her just below the knee. I called the foul but the coach told her "I want you to do that 1,000% percent of the time. No, make it 10,000% of the time. You got all ball and that is how you do it." I said to the girl, but loud enough for the coach to hear "Indeed, but keep your leg down so you don't take out your opponent's knee." Having a coach tell his player it is OK "10,000% of the time" it is OK to make contact near an opponent's knee made me grind my teeth.

dadman, Count Chocula and IASocFan repped this.
  15. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I've told him a million times not to exaggerate.

Kit, dadman, Ickshter and 5 others repped this.
  16. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    I forget what illegal thing the coach yelled for the player to do, but I turned to the player and said, "We both know that's not a good idea, right?"

17. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    IMHO that comment can come up in 2 ways. The first is as suggested, just an passive aggressive way to argue the call. The second is when the foul was simply a bit careless--the general challenge by the player was right, but just a miss in the execution. In those cases (which are are fewer than the first), the coach is trying to get the player to not stop challenging and not even disagreeing with the call itself.

IASocFan, dadman, stanger and 1 other person repped this.
  18. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I hear a comment like that, my first thought is that the coach is trying to take a subtle jab at me as an official and questioning my judgement. It's really simple, if I called it a foul once, and you encourage your player to continue to play in the same manner, then don't be surprised when I call the same foul again.

19. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why I did state that I should NOT have. ;)

In a situation where I am not familiar with teams or coaches I just file it away and continue on. Since it was a HS game with the same 8 coaches I have 10 games a season (20 if they coach both boys and girls) for the past 15 years, I felt i could get away with it. But you are correct in that if you aren't 100% sure, just maybe give a look and play on.

IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  20. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    GK takes a IFK from inside the PA 5 yards to a defender inside the PA. I whistle, from the opposite end of a dual for the retake (don't get me started on my partner). From behind me I hear a coach or parent say, "It was a free kick." I could tell that the players thought I was crazy too, so I announced to the field, "Anything that starts in the penalty area has to leave the penalty area."
    After half time, a parent comes to the edge of the stands and says, "Hey, you were right. [story about ref who got it wrong] I thought, this guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about, so I looked it up on my phone. Thanks for clarifying."
    Another group of satisfied customers and JV players educated.

RespectTheGame, Geko, IASocFan and 2 others repped this.
  21. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    You can always cover both possibilities. After the coach says "Keep doing what you're doing Joe" you can add "without the foul, of course!"

IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  22. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Recently posted in the P&CE forum. I'm maybe somewhat pretty sure they were just having a laugh! :rolleyes:

KCFutbol said:
    Um, 150% on a 27" monitor. :eek:
    I'm essentially blind in one eye and have crap vision in the "good" one.

song219 said:
    Shouldn't you be in the ref forum?

KensingtonSC said:
    You know, that's incredibly insulting.
    He said he still had one good eye. Once that's gone, then he can frequent the ref forum.

I said:
    All these posts have been duly reported here and the Ref forum! :mad:

Geko and IASocFan repped this.
  23. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    And that's expected to change in about 3 weeks' time... so you'll get to teach them anew! :)

24. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Ha...as you well know the Ref forum is the last place you want to visit if you want info about match situations and how they should be managed. That's what the Fan forums are for! :p

25. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    I'm not sure if you're trying to make fun of the folks above for discussing the topic. If a coach yells to his player to keep fouling, there is something wrong. Almost sounds like a liability if that player then hurts someone.