The things we hear returns - 2019, 20 and beyond edition

Discussion in 'Referee' started by djmtxref, Jan 12, 2019.

1. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I see some referees take caffeine and preworkout and crash about halfway thru a match.
    I only asked about the application Bc it was my understanding it took a while for that stuff to take effect. So at halftime would be a waste for the game.

2. Charron

Charron Member

Plymouth Argyle
    United States
    Apr 2, 2019
    I've never done pre-workout, but I pretty routinely take an electrolyte pill before games that has caffeine in it and I've never felt a crash, granted it doesn't have the sugar that preworkout has.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  3. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I’ve taken pre-workout and tried shopping in target and felt like I was walking on ice.
    It was an incredible rush of energy (granted I don’t have a large caffeine intake anymore). By the time I hit the gym I was crashing and felt jittery and anxious

4. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    If he's smoking it, it's having an effect lol. Edibles have to digest.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  5. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was a 4th official for a college playoff game last night. The coach for the lower seeded team was complaining about every call and non-call that was made. He complained so much that it became like the Boy-Who-Cried-Wolf; I didn’t know when to take him seriously. However, here are two of my favorites that I remember him yelling.

One of his players had a tendency to collapse and scream in pain every time an opponent walked near him. He probably deserved a caution for diving. But the center didn’t give him one. He later told me that if the player wanted to roll around on the ground, he was going to let him but also let play continue. However, late in the first half, that player was actually tripped and went down screaming. The center stopped play and immediately called the trainers on. The coach of the lower seeded didn’t want to go on because he wanted to see if the player was fine before having to sub him out. I informed him the ref had already called on the trainer so he had to go. The coach’s response was, “The ref’s not a trained medical professional. How does he know if the player is really hurt.” I told the center about that in our post game. His response was, “Yes, I am not a medical professional. That’s why I called the trainers in!”

Near the end of the game, the higher seed was up 3-0. Every time they got possession, they took the ball into the corner and held it there while the other team tried to get it. It’s a pretty standard tactic. The lower seed yell, “They are going to do that for the rest of the game and you’re just going to let them do that!”

jayhonk and dadman repped this.
  6. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Yeah, and it’s also one of the ugliest tactics in the game today. I’d love to figure out a way to ban it.

SccrDon repped this.
  7. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    I actually had this happen in my first adult amateur league game ever and I was like "Seriously?"

I get why and I get how it's a useful tactic... but... you know.

8. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    A five second possession rule like basketball?

U12 boys game yesterday. One player goes up for a header and the opponent pushes in the back. I call the foul. Later the same player who pushed before gets pushed as he starts his dribble near the PA. Parent yells "You ain't calling that push, are you? ARE YOU?!" I wait to see what happens and the pushed player shoots and scores from just inside the PA. I say "no sir, I'm allowing the goal. I could disallow the goal and call that push." Well, I said it in my head. But I thought it loudly.

dadman, Law5, jasonakramer and 4 others repped this.
  9. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    "Coach, when you complain about everything, it's the same as not complaining about anything."

I actually said that once, and it actually worked. For a few minutes.

SccrDon, dadman, Kit and 5 others repped this.
  10. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    U10 girls rec All-Star tournament. Not the most soccer-literate crowd -- for some reason, a lot of coaches have their keepers getting rid of the ball as soon as possible, so all the attackers who haven't made it all the way back to the buildout line just sprint in and take the ball. Fun, sweet people, though.

Best exchange ...

COACH: "Back up!"

PLAYER: "What did he say?"

TEAMMATE: "He said to back up."

PLAYER: "I don't know what that means!"

dadman, voiceoflg, IASocFan and 2 others repped this.
  11. NOVA Ref

NOVA Ref New Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Rec All-Star Tournament (U13 Girls). The keeper made a not-so-great punt after the coach was yelling at her to hurry up. After the not-so-good punt, the coach yelled at her again. The young girl looks over at him and yells (and I mean loud) "If you want me to take my time, don't tell me to hurry up." She shut him right up. It was great. : )

SccrDon, dadman, Beau Dure and 7 others repped this.
  12. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Our high school state championships on Saturday. One of my friends is assessing the final game, largest classification girls championship. He brought along the 16 year old German exchange student who is living with them this semester. As we're sitting in the assessor's booth, the kid asks me what my role is here. I told him that I'm something like the General Manager of the yellow team. He then turns to my friend and says "And you're the assassin." We both started laughing. It was an opportunity to improve his English vocabulary.

MNpenguin, dadman, gaolin and 2 others repped this.
  13. JeffG

JeffG Member

Mar 9, 2005
    MN, USA
    I had a similar experience as AR1 at a first-round college playoff game two weeks ago. For the first 15 minutes or so, I tried to offer explanations of what the referee saw (or might have seen). He was not mollified, nor did he stop whining. I decided to ignore him. By the middle of the second half, he finally figured out that he wasn't going to get a response from me so, as I'm moving toward the halfway line (and him) he says "Aren't you going to answer me? Maybe I should just give up and stop talking to you!" To which I replied "That would be a good idea, coach. Just stop complaining."

I'm starting to take advantage of the perks of being old and crotchety. But, like Bubba, the silence only lasted a few minutes. The Referee cautioned him shortly thereafter.

dadman repped this.
  14. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "You can't swear at us! I'm going to report you!" - From a MBB player while I was on the line. If you're wondering what I said, it was, "The hell are you doing?!"

"The hell" they were doing was playing a quick kick after an opponent was red-carded and still standing there on the field 2 yards from the ball. Then the teammate that had the ball after the 'quick restart' almost got whacked for his troubles.

dadman repped this.
  15. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As much as some players complain, I might as well print cards to hand to players for out adult league with the league contact info on it. Save them the trouble of looking it up.

We have some players that have been known to call the League president during a game to complain about refs and cards..

16. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Calling the league president in the middle of a match seems like dissent to me. After all the LOTG read the following:

Law 5 section 2, "The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play, including whether or not a goal is scored and the result of the match, are final. The decisions of the referee, and all other match officials, must always be respected."

dadman repped this.
  17. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, but I'm reffing a game being played in front of me, not asking who a substitute is calling during the game.

dadman repped this.
  18. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    As I've probably posted previously, we had a junior high game this year, a dual, during which the two referees got to arguing with each other. One left the field and called the assignor, wanting her to over rule his dual partner on a goal kick/corner kick decision. She told him to go home. As I like to put it, the assignor red carded the referee.

SccrDon, MrPerfectNot, dadman and 8 others repped this.
  19. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that. But if someone came up to me and said that they had just called the league president and the correct call should have been XXX, I would probably be showing that person a yellow colored card.

20. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Ha...did a HSBV dueldual where I was R2. Was overruled on a corner/goal kick call. I was 5' away and he was 60 yds. He was also a Police Chief and twice as big as I was. :mad:

dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  21. JeffG

JeffG Member

Mar 9, 2005
    MN, USA
    And, that's when you found out how to add a Partner block in Arbiter, right?

tomek75, dadman, 65GT350 and 1 other person repped this.
  22. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Yeah...I did that as soon as I got home! :whistling:

[​IMG]

dadman, Kempa, IASocFan and 2 others repped this.
  23. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    And showed him 5.3.1.k The officials shall "not set aside or question decisions made by the other referee(s) within the limits of his/her respective outlined duties."

24. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I fought the law and the law won! :(

Ps...I wanted to shoot the sheriff. :coffee:

SccrDon, MrPerfectNot, dadman and 4 others repped this.
  25. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I've had two instances where this came up:

1. Last year, a center who wasn't particularly good marched off the distance for a penalty kick (yes, the field had no spot). 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... OK, here you go. I had to do a stage whisper to get the other two. The aggrieved team still used that slip-up against him to complain bitterly about the PK call. (I frankly had no idea what he thought he saw.)

2. A couple of weeks ago, a really good center had a situation that he and I hadn't yet encountered -- the drop ball in the area back to the keeper after an injury stoppage. He was going to drop it to one team, but he asked me if I'd seen a change in possession, and I reminded him of the new Law.