The things we hear returns - 2019, 20 and beyond edition

Discussion in 'Referee' started by djmtxref, Jan 12, 2019.

1. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While this might seem like a good idea, I feel like "cheating downfield" can become a bad habit and therefore have a negative affect on your offside positioning. Instead of cheating, just work a little harder to anticipate and read the play. Besides, no matter how much you "cheat", sometimes you just can't get there. Stay with your offside line. As an AR, offside is your first priority.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  2. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, When you have been at this long enough and maybe seen certain teams long enough and have been there long enough that you are now OLD, it has it's merits. After watching a defensive line for about 20 minutes, I think I understand what they are going to do. If they are going to hold the line and trap, I am on the line. If they are running back to cover and if the attacking player is 5 -10 yards in front of the 2LD, I feel pretty confident I can lean more towards the GL to get a better look at those long shots. Even though I am in shape (round IS a shape) I like a more gradual run up and my hamstrings like that better then the torque involved getting my body from a stop to a full sprint in one bound.

DefRef, dadman, IASocFan and 2 others repped this.
  3. wguynes

wguynes Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    ptref elaborates eloquently how one should be communicating to new referees.
    Unfortunately, they have also mistaken me for one of those new referees and I shan't be lectured further about it.

There are exceptions to many processes, subject to many factors, age, skill level, conditions, method of play, presence of VAR to help with goals, etc.
    New referees need to learn the basics.
    Unfortunately absolutism sometimes creeps in with instructors and assessors. A referee who misjudges and gets bit by cheating will be held responsible, the assessor will surely see to that.

dadman repped this.
  4. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Of course it can be a bad habit--most useful tools can if they are used improperly or too often. Like others have posted, I would never remotely suggest this as a tool to anyone reasonably fresh to refereeing. And personally, I rarely do it. But there are times when it is clear that there isn't going to be an OS call to make, but there is a reasonable chance of a goal line call. On those, I think "cheating" is fine--it is anticipating the play and recognizing that not even the fastest of us can sprint faster than a shot. But you have to be sure about the lack of an upcoming OS call.

dadman, voiceoflg and MJ91 repped this.
  5. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    They have a 6 division women's league thats sanctioned??? wild to me. I know their are women's leagues in my area but at most they have like an: open, O30's, and 040's. I think almost all of them are unaffiliated too.

6. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Seven divisions, actually. This fall, they converted from Open, O-30 and "Masters" to a 'skill level' system, so you and your team decide what level you want to play. I think they are going to use promotion and relegation. In reality, the old O-30 was actually all O-40 and "Masters" was almost all O-50. 50 teams. Long, long time USSF affiliated.
    Sundays, 10, 12 or 2, solo, largely self assign. I think I called three fouls yesterday. Fun, easy games, with no parents yelling at you, as long as the referee knows that he's just there to facilitate them playing.

dadman, MJ91, YoungRef87 and 2 others repped this.
  7. FourDGlory

FourDGlory New Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2018
    On Sunday I was doing a "cash on the field" EDP B15 game.
    The manager of the home team asked if I could provide a receipt for the cash.
    He said his club requires receipts for bookkeeping.
    I think my facial expression told him the answer was a hard "NO".

8. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016
    I have done these for cash games before...but never from scratch. The club that requires them always provides them already filled out for me to sign. I simply write in my name and sign/date. They have the game details, amount and "Referee Fee" listed as the reason. I don't have a problem doing it for them if they require it for their bookkeeping.

But I don't think I wouldn't be doing it from scratch for somebody.

9. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Wow. They really have it all in PNW. My locale they have a lot of adult indoor and coed indoor. But the women honestly don’t fill out numbers like that. Or I am just not that in the loop Bc those games don’t appeal to me

In the more densely populated metro they have that. Do they have trouble covering it?

Cash games... my favourite!

10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    "Goal kicks aren't supposed to be an adventure at this age!"

G16 coach . . . and they sure were an adventure last night . . .

MJ91, YoungRef87, dadman and 3 others repped this.
  11. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    For clubs that need this, I have seen them present a form that you sign saying you got paid. Others will have you sign the envelope that they had the cash in. As long as they provide the paper, I will sign it.

12. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    At least in my area, there have been a handful of fraud arrests involving youth clubs. One infamous one involved a local LL baseball club who made it to the LLWS to the tune of over $118,000 pilfered. So, if signing something that prevents fraud, I’m all for it. The amount of money that goes through some of these organizations is quite a lot, and the oversight and auditing is never enough.

YoungRef87, voiceoflg, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  13. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    GV season opening game between 2 low level teams. Not great soccer, but evenly matched.

Visiting teams have apparently been heavily coached not to swear. Midfielder with ball gets banged from behind while passing to teammate upfield. Foul was committed, but pass was successful and I played advantage.

Girl yells..."play the ....(pause).....ball.....PINEAPPLE!!!"

jnielsen, YoungRef87, dadman and 4 others repped this.
  14. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Soccer mom in the parking lot: "Good game umpire." "Hey thanks. But we're called referees. Umpires are that other ball game." "Yeah whatever. You got the point." "Yup."

15. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    U14B, I'm AR2. Lots of fouls but the CR's cards were apparently glued to his pocket. Visitors get two yellows and a straight red, home gets none. But there were easily a few on both sides that could have gotten yellows. Visitors win 3-2.

Final whistle and a visiting parent yells "It was 11 against 15 and we still won."

They had 10 on the field, and we didn't have a fourth official.

dadman and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  16. robssecondjob

robssecondjob Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    After I made a full field sprint to chase down a counter attack off a corner (defender was closing and I was sure there was going to be contact. It ended up being a clean tackle) an assistant coach says something to the effect of "I think the ref is going to need oxygen". That got a smile for me until the second assistant coach says "if he was a better ref he wouldn't have to run".

As I was walking over for a chat the head coach jumps in and tell his assistant to shut up and sit down. With the following "You would get winded after blowing the damn whistle".

jnielsen, Kempa, SccrDon and 14 others repped this.
  17. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Wow I've heard lots of ignorant comments but nothing quite that stupid.

YoungRef87 and frankieboylampard repped this.
  18. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The assistant is not only a players coaches but also a referee coach and was talking about robs positioning and anticipation for the next phase of play! duh.

robssecondjob repped this.
  19. uws22

uws22 Member

Celtic
    Sep 8, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    JUCO game last night, decently skilled and competitive. Away team had a lapse in the first half where three straight defenders just flailed a trail leg at the dribbling attacker as he went by and took a shot on goal. Away coach yells out "See?! That's what's going to happen! You're not on the swim team!"

jnielsen, dadman, Law5 and 1 other person repped this.
  20. swoot

swoot Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HSBV dual, gold home player has his arm wrapped around an attacker trying to dribble upfield. I blow the whistle for the foul. The player asks what was the foul and I tell him holding. He says, "How can it be holding when my fist was closed?"

It must be the same as it can't be a foul if you get the ball.:rolleyes:

dadman repped this.
  21. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I've been called "line judge" many times before. Never an umpire though.

22. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    In the few games I've done, it is nice when they add "Mr."

So, I've gotten "Mr. AR." Which was nice.

dadman repped this.
  23. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Well, I've been called worse.

Hmm, come to think of it, I've even been called "worst" a time or two.

dadman, Barciur and MJ91 repped this.
  24. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    How about "lino?" I don't even mind that one.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  25. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Obviously they hadn't met me.

dadman and IASocFan repped this.