The things we hear returns - 2018 edition

Discussion in 'Referee' started by wh1s+1eR, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Oh, it's definitely a put down. "Thanks for coming out."

2. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    "You know, you don't sweat much for a fat guy."

Rufusabc, roby, dadman and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    "Well, you're welcome!"
    or
    "Thanks for having me!"

Depending on how the "Thanks" was offered. Both said with a smile, or course.

dadman repped this.
  4. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    As someone said, "You get so much farther with a gun and a smile than you do with just a gun." :)

dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  5. SCV-Ref

SCV-Ref Member

Spurs
    Australia
    Feb 22, 2018
    Hmm..I politely disagree that it was incorrect....even by the letter of the law.
    It falls into the same category as too many players on the field.
    In such a scenario, the caution is for "Entering the field of play without permission". This is the case even if there has been many restarts since the cautionable offence happens. IE: Player enters the field. Play happens maybe for many minutes with several restarts, THEN the referee becomes aware and issues the caution.
    In my scenario, there is no difference. Once I became aware, I issued the caution.

I could take it further. Perhaps the referee only becomes aware that a player is not wearing shin guards several minutes into the match. Same thing.

So in summary, I did not make up my own rules. I applied the Laws of the Game as they stand, upheld the spirit of the game and succeeded with effective game management.

65GT350 and IASocFan repped this.
  6. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Defender trips opponent dribbling ball, opponent stumbles and loses control. I blow for the foul.

Incredulous defender: "What was that for?!"
    "Tripping," I reply.
    "But he didn't fall down!"

I wasn't aware that was a requirement.... :rolleyes:

dadman and voiceoflg repped this.
  7. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    After whistling for a handling in the PA a defender passed by to tell me, "Handling in the penalty area has always been an indirect kick." I almost had to roll up my jaw as it hit the floor.

8. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously ref. It's only "intentional handball" that's direct!

dadman, IASocFan and Law5 repped this.
  9. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    There are those I encourage to become refs, and those I block in Arbiter before they ever take the test.

10. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Between the girls and boys games tonight we headed down to the restrooms by the baseball field. The baseball parents were working some brats on a big oil drum grill.

"Man those smell good."
    "Have some."
    "Better not. We just finished the girls game but now we have to go back and do the boys."
    "Did our girls win?"
    "No sorry, they lost 2 to 1."
    "Then this is not the referee food station."

Kempa, Noadvantageref, roby and 12 others repped this.
  11. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why the foul is called for tripping or attempting to trip an opponent.

12. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure if this goes under here or the "Build Outlines For Fun and Profit," but here it is:

Every year, our local adult league asks our local association to send someone to explain the new law changes to them. We usually send our instructor. At our last association meeting, our instructor said that he had to go to the next league meeting and explain the buildout line to them (that they don't need to use).

MrPerfectNot and dadman repped this.
  13. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Member

Jun 15, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "You can't call him Offside, he was going for the ball!"

Thanks, Coach.

dadman, YoungRef87 and MrPerfectNot repped this.
  14. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    A couple weeks ago I had a first. I was working a development Academy game when I sent a player off for a second caution. As he was leaving the field of play, he turned to me "hey referee…" and makes a gesture of his thumb flicking off of the bottom of his chin. I included it in the report but what a dunce. I guess he didn't feel like playing for the next couple games......

dadman, Law5, Cornbred Ref and 4 others repped this.
  15. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    If you don’t mind, what age?

16. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sounds like someone's been reading Shakespeare in school.

17. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Nah I don't U18/19.

Right?!!! I was thinking the same thing.

"Do you bite your thumb at us good sir?" "Why I do bite my thumb at a capulet!"

dadman, IASocFan, YoungRef87 and 4 others repped this.
  18. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    Just read an email from my assignor. He said that literally half of our registered referees are not doing games. :eek:

19. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    At the beginning of April I spoke to a pretty big local assignor who assigns like some 7000 games a year. He was telling me in a good year he uses around 45% of his referee population at least 3x. Funny bc I haven't done any games for him yet. But he assigned me this weekend.

I know all his referees are USSF certified for the current year (he won't use non-certified guys) but half of them (like me don't work hardly enough for him lol).

20. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    U9 game, solo. A couple gems. Green coach sent a player to be a captain because he was the birthday boy. I asked him when his birthday was and he said Friday. I said mine was Wednesday. I asked how old he was and he said he turned 10. He said "I won't ask how old you are, but I know you are WAY more than 10." I think he had a bit too much tone in that "WAY." :p

As I was getting my watches, whistles, etc out of the bag, a white player saw me get my red card out of the wallet and put it in my back pocket. He said "You have a red card for these games?" I said "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." He said "That's smart." :thumbsup:

Kempa, jayhonk, Law5 and 8 others repped this.
  21. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    U14B game. Player on green slams his shoulder into the back of player on white. I blow the whistle for the foul.
    Parent: "Oh come on! That was shoulder to shoulder!"

RespectTheGame, IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  22. uws22

uws22 Member

Celtic
    Sep 8, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Working MRL weekend with same crew all day. We're at halftime of the last of three games today and a mom from the previous is cutting through the space between the fields to get to the next row. She stops to say what a great job we did and thanked us for coming. As she was leaving she says "by the way, some of those other moms over there wanted to know if you guys had made a referee calendar yet, because they wanted one if you had." She definitely wasn't talking about me, but we made the center from the last game blush good and red.

Kempa, refinDC, RespectTheGame and 8 others repped this.
  23. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got positive comments on my sprinting ability on the line. Glad to know I can still keep up with 15 year old boys. It starts to get murky after that.

RespectTheGame, dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  24. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Had my first sarcastic slow clap ever! I figured I was due. End of a contentious varsity boys game, cautioned a player from each team due to them being unsporting to each other. One goes off quietly, the other takes a couple of steps towards me and claps and says “good job, ref. You’re really great.” One of the more satisfying send offs of the season.

25. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Member

Jun 15, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sub coming in: "What am I???"
    Captain: "... human?"

Law5, dadman, voiceoflg and 1 other person repped this.