The things we hear returns - 2018 edition

Discussion in 'Referee' started by wh1s+1eR, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Mi3ke

Mi3ke Member

Oct 18, 2011
    New Mexico
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many stripes can the laces have?o_O

Cheers, Mi3ke

roby, voiceoflg and dadman repped this.
  2. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the stripe doesn't match the sock?

voiceoflg and JeffG repped this.
  3. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's something I've never heard before:

I don't know how common this is, but in my AYSO area, we usually line the kids up at the center circle to check equipment. Some referees give a little speech. I generally don't. Today at my u12 game, I said, "Ok. There's nothing for me to say because you all know how to play soccer." One of the coaches with a smile on his face responded, "You shouldn't say that. You haven't seen my girls try to play soccer yet."

dadman, YoungRef87 and Law5 repped this.
  4. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two more Regional HS G final matches on Saturday. Dodging thunderstorms all day. First game was moved from 5PM to 10AM to try and get it in before the rain. that was a D1 final that was a fun game, good pace, I could tell where the play was going to go, stuff like that. Home team has one of the better girls in the state on their team. They win 3-0. No rain.

Next match is a D4 Regional final @ 1PM. I am AR2 on that one. Much more difficult to follow play. visiting team must've got stuck in the bus because 2 minutes in they were down. 2-0. We get another 10 minutes into the game when we see lightning. Everybody off the field as a storm rolls through. According to mt Reff watch app for my garmin, we had 52 minutes of added time in the first half. Funny that the watch worked perfectly and ended right on time even after the 52 minutes.. Visiting team does better after the delay and put one in before the 1st half ends.

Here is a play that I want some feedback on: About in the 70th minute of the game, visiting player is about 30 yards away from goal. Defender challenges for the ball and the home player goes down (we all know the attacker, she is known for going down like a feather). The play happens between the CR and myself, I saw the attacker drag her back foot hoping for contact (which I didn't see any) Then CR must've seen exactly what I saw, because he just yells "get up" as the attacker is on the ground and the defender is running up the field with the ball. Attacker gets up with arms in the air looking down the CR and he does a good job of ignoring her, but she was on him for the rest of the game as well as the coach and fans were not happy with the "non" call either. After the match I asked him if he saw the same thing as I did and he did, he said he knew it wasn't a foul so he just let it go. I thought he should of blown the whistle and given the YC for the simulation (i.e. unsporting for HS) then he wouldn't of had to deal with all the arguments because everyone who wasn't paying that close of attention thought you just let a trip slide. So, as an AR, should I have raised my flag for a simulation foul? I feel that is forcing his hand a bit. Thought he did a great job overall, but didn't want him to put him on the spot. Would you pop that flag?? Home team ends up winning 3-1 on a goal late in the 2nd half.

dadman repped this.
  5. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    No. He saw it and ruled. You are looking back on the play AFTER he got grief for the “non-call”. Who knows? Maybe the card would have made it worse?

dadman, seattlebeach and cleansheetbsc repped this.
  6. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Absolutely not.

7. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Since he saw it, there's essentially no chance that you can offer input which would be helpful. Since he communicated his non-call by saying "get up," I think the issue here is the cluelessness of those in attendance.

dadman and YoungRef87 repped this.
  8. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    This may be true, a yellow would let everyone know he saw it. Only thing is you better be 100% sure there was a dive, which is not quite the same as being 100% sure there was no foul.

9. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, that is why I didn't pop the flag. He took the instruction after the match and said he should've issued the card. I am glad I was correct in not forcing his hand.

Oh, the funny part of the "things I heard" part. So the fans are sitting right behind me during the game. I see two high school age girls from the visiting team sitting together and they are next to a home team family that has a high school boy in their crowd. He is overly vocal about the decisions of the CR against the home team. I look over after he g'fawd over a foul against his squad. It seemed like he was trying to impress the visiting team girls on the sideline with his vast officiating knowledge. I could see the girls roll their eyes after one louder comment. Anyway, late in the game visiting team has a promising attack, player is taken out from behind, clearly tactical and it was also her 2nd foul within 2 minutes that she got a talking to by the CR anyway. CR gives her the YC, and the kid gets VERY loud! "No WAY that was a YC! You can't be serious!!" I am at midfield right next to him. I say "Quiet down, it was a tactical foul and a YC.", he says, more quietly this time, that he officiates and he wouldn't card for that. Girls, roll eyes again... About 10 minutes later, visiting team has a GK, they have been doing "short" kicks all game, this time a player goes inside the PA and touches it before it leaves. CR whistles and the set up to retake the kick. Kid goes, "That should be a kick for us! They touched it before it left the "box"!!"

I am standing there again and say a bit louder because it seems the home parents are listening to this kid, I say: "It is NOT a proper restart because the ball did not leave the PA, since it was not proper, the restart is another GK". Then a little more quietly to the kid. " You should probably just focus on cheering on your team because I don't think your other comments are impressing anyone." The girls give a giggle and mouth a "thank you" to me. Kid is no problem for the rest of the game.

dadman repped this.
  10. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    That happened to work well for you this time, but other-than-friendly conversations with folks in the stands are generally not a good bet.

rh89, dadman, YoungRef87 and 3 others repped this.
  11. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, I know. these are D4 parents who mostly just cheer "boot it" type things. most of the time I just give information out and they thank me for the lessons. It is all about tone. and trying to be helpful.

It was funny, there was this one play where the ball was heading to a player and this woman was cheering thinking she was going to kick the ball. The ball was coming in from the players side and the player did a perfect step over where she feigned hitting the ball left (it was coming from the left) but instead stepped over and then went right with the ball. Completely juked out the defender and the parent was all sad thinking she missed hitting the ball to the left. I got a good chuckle and just whispered to her "I think she meant to do that". She just went "Oh"...

Doug the Ref, dadman and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  12. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    I was doing a HS GV game last year and working as part of 2 man ref crew with the rules interpreter for our part of the state. It's a 5-0 blowout that could have been 20-0 if winning team does not take foot off the gas.

Losing team defender is trying to corral a bouncing ball in the PA. No opposing player is within 50 feet of her. She wildly attempts to kick it and misses, spins around and her arm grazes the ball.

Mr Interpreter whistles for handling in the PA and awards the PK. I am stunned.

I asked him after the game why he called that. I say - Not deliberate. Did not affect play. Games does not need it, etc.. He says - "we don't get to decide when we enforce the rules".

13. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Sounds like you need a new rules interpreter. :(

IASocFan, SparkeyG, Geko and 3 others repped this.
  14. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    sigh............he's been doing it for a long time and I think we will be stuck with him for awhile longer. Perfect example of the good old boys club.

RespectTheGame, Bubba Atlanta and Law5 repped this.
  15. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    As Groucho said in a telegram (hence the “all caps):

PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER".

Geko repped this.
  16. lou czar

lou czar Member

Sep 26, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So tournament volunteering and complete one match and find out I am needed as AR on another 16B and it is ready to start when I get there. Take my spot and a minute in the team on my sideline gets a counter attack and I have a jog up as their defense pushes out. I hear "Yeah, go sexy LOU" (but with my actual first name) directly behind me. I confirm that they are looking at their player, and since the ball is still on the other half and it is my first trip to center. Loud enough for the touchline to hear, "Hi, coach sorry I just got here I am Lou." Got to introduce myself, get a laugh, and start what turned out to be a fun match on a light note.

dadman repped this.
  17. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “Ref, are you calling offside on the white kid or the black kid?”
    “The white kid”
    “Oh, good call then”

dadman, rh89, jayhonk and 1 other person repped this.
  18. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And odd one recently. Was doing a U14 Boys Travel (but not Premier, but above Town Rec - not a lot though o_O) Div 2. Each team had a couple decent players, but not really all that good. About half way through the 2nd half I had one kid standing near me ask "Hey Ref, do you do World Cup and Olympic games too?" :cautious: :thumbsdown: I think I gave him a 'are you effing with me' look at first, but he seemed to really be honestly asking. I said "ah no, no, I'm too old, I can't keep up with them anymore" (as if I ever could). Then I thought, hmmm, maybe I should take that as a compliment??? :rolleyes: :cool:

IASocFan, dadman, rh89 and 4 others repped this.
  19. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    I'm on the mailing list for a home brewing supply store. This morning I got an email where the subject line started with "Better than socks...". Did I immediately think of Father's Day sales? Of course not. o_O

dadman, voiceoflg, Law5 and 2 others repped this.
  20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    "You're the funniest ref we've had."

U-14 boys. I've found my audience.

SparkeyG, IASocFan, dadman and 5 others repped this.
  21. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, otherwise that would be racist. [/sarcasm]

dadman repped this.
  22. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    I'd gladly do U14 games all year - either gender. In my experience the biggest 'gap' between age groups in terms of how difficult they are to referee is U14 boys to U15 boys.

23. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    No argument here. by 9th grade, they are really testing the 'adultness'

Law5 repped this.
  24. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Well then, you can take ALL my U14 games. That's my least favorite age:
    Mouthiness is at its peak IMO.
    Physical disparity is also at its peak.
    Parents haven't settled down yet, from their nadir at U13.
    By U15, reactions are more predictable and play is more uniform, and parents know what they are getting.

25. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Funny that's how I would describe U15 where I am. Must be a local thing.

Most parents around here are too worn out from the U9-U12 years to yell much. :)

dadman repped this.