The things we hear returns - 2018 edition

Discussion in 'Referee' started by wh1s+1eR, Jan 9, 2018.

1. robssecondjob

robssecondjob Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Day after the prom late morning girls HS match (awesome scheduling guys!).

Alpha striker looks like death during check-in. As we are lining up for kickoff I checked with her to make she was okay to play, she responds, "I feel awful but I still plan on running you into the ground today".

She had a hat trick on what felt like about a million 80 yard counter-attacks.

In the handshake line she comes up to me says with a big smile on her face, "Thank you sir I got through the game focusing on making you run".

Kempa, Law5, SouthernYank and 13 others repped this.
  2. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    This is a double or triple dip.

"That doesn't matter. I'm an instructor."

Decent level U14B. Blasted ball richochets off knee and hits hand and falls back into play. CR elects not to blow the whistle, to the displeasure of one of the coaches. "Hey call that hand ball. It was right in front of you!" Centers ignores; play continues. Coach continues.

Me (AR1): No handling there, coach. Not deliberate."
    "That doesn't matter. I'm an intsructor."
    Me: Wut.
    Other coach: "Yeah. Unless it falls to his feet and is an advantage."
    Me, Out load to Coach2: "Don't be provocative".
    I thought Coach2 was pulling Coach1's chain, riffing on common misconceptions regarding 'Handball'.

Apparently, I was a victim of something called Clark's Law: Any sufficiently advanced cluelessness is indistinguishable from malice. It turns out that Coach2 was serious. I learn this as five minutes later, Coach1 and Coach 2 are chatting together, reviewing the elements of Handball with all the sophistication of two U10 soccer moms. Luckily play took me away from this glorious exchange before my head exploded.

The story gets worse at the end of the game, when Coach2 comes up tocompliment the ref crew. (We had done a two game set with him at the helm of two different teams. No issues.) He says he appreciates our knowledge and the hustle we put in, since he is the director of the whole club. (!) Seriously. You are the head of a whole (medium sized) soccer club and you have no clue about the Laws of the Game?!

Our ref work, clearly, will never be done.

dadman, IASocFan, YoungRef87 and 2 others repped this.
  3. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    Maybe that club is an all-volunteer club like AYSO? Our last commissioner of our AYSO region has been around soccer for years and didn't know all the laws either. And simple ones like throw in to a keeper, or which fouls were direct or indirect free kicks. But, he put in tons of hours getting over 500 kids playing soccer each year, so...

DefRef repped this.
  4. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Handling is probably one of the most inconsistent things coaches see called so I'll never be surprised that they carry misconceptions about it.

Rufusabc, Cornbred Ref and tomek75 repped this.
  5. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    When I got my D level coaching license, the curriculum included one hour on the Laws. A coach taught that section. He appeared wearing a referee uniform and started by asking "How do you like my clown suit?" We just played soccer and occasionally, very occasionally, we would discuss whether what we'd just done was a foul or not. We always decided that the answer was no. And most youth coaches don't have a D license, much less anything higher.

6. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what would happen if for the next time I taught the AYSO Referee Class, I wore a tracksuit, whistle around my neck, and held a clipboard and called it my "clown suit?"

7. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Baseball hat, don't forget the baseball hat

Kit and dadman repped this.
  8. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    And be sure to look like Rodney Dangerfield.

dadman repped this.
  9. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I saw a video on Twitter that reminded me of something I saw a few week ago. Not so much a "things we hear" but a "things we see."

U12 girls, I'm CR. Best player on the pitch, red team. She gets tripped inside the PA, stumbles, regains her balance, then shoots and scores. After the ball goes in the net, she glares at me. And I mean a death stare. I guess she wanted me to call the foul. I started to ask her if she wanted me to disallow the goal and let her take a PK, but I figured discretion was the better part of valor.

rh89, dadman, Kempa and 4 others repped this.
  10. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Meh, I just had a CR tell me that at halftime of a HS GV game on Monday. After he called a "handball" on a girl who had her back to the ball was running away following a player, the ball hit the back of her naturally positioned arm and fell to her feet. He asked at halftime what he missed and I brought up that call. I said it wasn't deliberate and her arm was in a natural position. He said, "yea, but it was an advantage that it dropped to her feet. I said there is nothing in the laws that use "creates an advantage" as criteria for making a call. He just smirked, called 5 handling calls that game. I agreed with 2 of them. Just kept quiet and knew this is the fuel that coaches use to burn up on the sidelines.

dadman repped this.
  11. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are the referees that, if they say anything in response, it's usually something like "Listen here, I've been refereeing a long time, so I know what I'm doing."

dadman and frankieboylampard repped this.
  12. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate when referees say that! It's one of my pet peeves. Personally, I have been a referee for 19 years, but I am still learning from the game. Last night, both my ARs were brand new, and I still asked at halftime and at the end of the game if there was anything that I missed or anything that I could do better. They both said, "No" though.

dadman and voiceoflg repped this.
  13. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Apparently there is nothing more to learn.

You can now become "one of those" refs. :D

Geko and dadman repped this.
  14. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good attitude on your part - realistically, they probably won't have a lot to say unless (a) it's something egregious and/or (b) they have a little experience and know you - but it is important you ask.

I can tell you're an intelligent, thinking referee - because of the club you support.

roby, Kit and dadman repped this.
  15. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    I generally ask this a little more directly. As in "what did I miss?" rather than "did I miss anything?". Slightly more likely to get a response from newer referees, in my experience.

65GT350, Kit, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  16. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FTFY

roby, Geko, IASocFan and 2 others repped this.
  17. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    “USE YOUR EYES”- U17 captain

I was AR1. Called the center ref over and told him to give said player a yellow.

On another game, I thought I heard a player mutter “F*** you” after I made a throw in decision against his tram. However, I was not 100% positive, so I let it be.

18. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    U12B. I'm AR2. Blue player fouls an orange player. CR blows the whistle and signals for the foul but an Orange parent is still going on about the foul. Blue parent said "He called the foul. What else do you want the ref to do? Handcuff him?"

19. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Here’s a new variation of an old canard....

I’m reffing in a tournament yesterday and we are discussing some HS vs. USSF things during a break. I was only half paying attention when he said “It’s a state rule.” I hadn’t heard the rule part of the discussion until much later.....

And here it is...I was the referee and he was AR1. He had had a quick flag most of the day, but I was maybe 25 feet from him when he waggled. It was at the halfway line. It was an innocent whistle in a 4-0 game. His flag work left me guessing which way the foul was supposed to go. So, since I was THAT CLOSE to him, I asked. “Against RED, its for kicking the ball while on the ground.” That was the fictitious state rule.

IASocFan, dadman and roby repped this.
  20. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I’m just back from doing a set of ECNL matches. This is currently considered the top tier of girls soccer in the country (until the DA for Girls takes shape).

I only bring that up because there was a coach today who claimed it couldn’t be handling “because she only used one hand!”.

dadman and MrPerfectNot repped this.
  21. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA/Bolivia ref -- I mean the shoes are predominantly black I guess. :)

[​IMG]

22. me116

me116 Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Trust me... worse has been done
    IMG_20180414_205056395_BURST000_COVER_TOP (1).jpg

23. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't see a problem with either shoes

24. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I would use black laces, but that's a personal preference.

25. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Really?
    Are we there?