The Terrorism thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by YankBastard, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This isn't the first time I've heard it, sadly. "Central America" is essentially a sociopolitical term, intended to separate White USA and Canada from the brown countries north of the Panama Canal.

Skandal!!! repped this.
  2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I've certainly heard that usage; but not one for "North America" that stops the continent before the Colombian border. Three regions yes, but three continents, no.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Might be a Clemson fan. They're the flagship program of that state, and have the same mentality- they're SEC in every way but official membership.

Anyhoo, most SEC fans start out the season as a fan of the school they wish they'd been able to get into. It's not until that program is eliminated from SEC title competition that he dons the Confederate Grey thong/romper and starts cheering for the likely conference champion.

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No, I totally missed that point. Was dealing only with "Central".

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    @Gamecock14

:whistling:

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  6. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Eh. People only say SEC because they finally have something to stick to those in the North.

The ACC should have been Maryland, Virginia, UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, NC State, U South Carolina, and Clemson like it was in the 50s. The old Southern Conference circa 1921 was an ACC/SEC combo.

Everyone tries to tip toe around this but the reason we can't have stuff the way it was is because of Notre Dame, specifically their football. It's the reason for the entire conference shifting after everything pretty much settled. I actively root against them. I also root against Michigan and Ohio State because no one clings on to history pre-integration than they do.

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I know one Southern Conference school wanted in the ACC from the start...

8. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Weren't they and West Virginia / Marshall almost interchangeable at that point?

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Did they want in?

Gamecock14 repped this.
  10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It speaks volumes about them that they still hold on to old Civil War butthurt. Besides, "they" don't have anything to stick to anyone except what ESPN led them to think they have. The people who 1) live in the northeastern United States and 2) give a true shit about school football have figured that out already. In essence: it requires the Ivy grads and Big East grads to still care, decades after they all pretty much de-emphasized the sport (or never played well enough to matter).

My HS closed up after its 2016 graduation. I don't cheer for the other city schools in state competitions, unless they happen to be playing against private schools. I don't support the school that was built and given a different name than the old one.

Every SEC program clings to pre-integration history more than Michigan and tOSU. ever heard the last strains of Florida's fight song? Been to an Ole Miss game to see student dressed up as a redneck officer mascot? Heard of Bama Bangs? Some programs, like Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Kentucky, Arkansas, TAMU and Vanderbilt, have precious little else to claim, some not even a conference title. Georgia has only one post-desegregation natty. Tennessee has only one. LSU, only two. Auburn, one.

Clemson is a football program in a basketball conference. So, for that matter, is FSU. Notre Dame isn't responsible for that. Notre Dame isn't responsible for Fielding Yost's rabid bigotry (they'd have been done joined the Big Ten otherwise).

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I kept hearing the MJ Walker commitment was between UCLA and Virginia Tech.

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Apparently he's now chosen FSU. Maybe not good enough for Kentucky?
    Probably a good call- he'll get playing time and be seen.

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, if the white house leaks are to be believed, England authorities knew about the guy fascination for ISIS, but dude still had rights, is not like the police can arrest everybody that gives a like to an ISIS video (at least not yet).

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You give white people (in the USA/Canada) entirely too much credit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Republic_of_Central_America

15. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Its being reported that he traveled to Libya and Syria to train at terror camps, that should warrant an arrest or at least surveillance.

16. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    From what I've read he should have been surveilled at least, but there was a former chief constable of Greater Manchester Police on the radio today talking about how it takes around 30 officers to carry out 24 hour surveillance on a single person.

Teresa May cut police forces significantly a few years ago, and has this to say about the pushback from the police against cuts as the time, when they said there was a chance that police cuts would lead to paramilitary style policing:

And this is the scene at Downing Street in recent hours:

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely surveillance and yes, if they have proof that he had been to a training camp, detention should have happened.

18. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    Unfortunately, it is too late... Britain, France, Belgium have so many potential terrorism suspects, that it is simply impossible to detain, yet even daily survey, them all. The ones that warrant more surveillance will get it, but some sympathizers are assumed to be of "lesser" concern - in this case cops made a mistake, but in fact European security agencies foil many terrorist plots every year. However, the threat will be ever-growing and expenses associated with policing will paramount. France is already under a permanent "special situation", with troops on the streets for the last two years, Britain may be heading the same way.

19. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    French PM was saying in October 2016 that in France alone they have 15 K potential sympathizers under surveillance, better or worse one. Can you imagine police resources needed to accommodate surveillance on such scale? Obviously, they won't be able to stop everybody...

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I asked a co-worker who is a Civil War reenactor if he could imagine if the US surveilled and eventually interned all Confederate sympathizers. I took his silence as his understanding my point.

21. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    On the other hand, Berlin attacker has also been "well known to the police"...

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Can the rest of us claim their property and businesses while they're "away"? I always wanted 900,000 Skoal-stained Alabama jerseys, a well and a gun shop...

song219 repped this.
  23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Bia Bia Bia Bia

24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    LOOOOOOOooooooo

25. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Corbyn's speech from today on the terrorism and the failure of the "war on terror". Says what very few are willing to admit.

Dr. Wankler repped this.