The Teams Not Lucky Enough to be in Scotland thread

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by YankHibee, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    That was a pretty unbelievable save. The instinct, the reaction, the athleticism and the technique to get it actually over the bar. I don't think I've seen many saves better by any keeper.

2. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
  3. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Let's be honest. He was not at the time. But I don't think it helps he was Scottish. Rangers fans always give the Scottish players the hardest time. I think getting away from the pressure and enjoying his football has been the making of him. I think Rangers should have some deals with championship players where we can send some of our youngsters on load for a year. It really could be the making of some of them. Especially defenders I reckon.

4. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    I agree, but it didn't help him being played out wide, as well as not getting a run in the team.

In his first full season being played in his proper position (central midfielder) he scored something like 15 goals.

5. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I understand the frustration but do you ever remember him playing as well as he is now with us. Being out of position and the pressure got to him. He's a fan and I reckon he was trying too hard. We'd take him back in a second now. Maybe a loan in the championship when he first broke into the team would have been the making of him for us.

6. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    I really reckon he could have if he had been given a run in the team.

Obviously that's difficult at an environment like the OF, where fans expect instant results, but I think a lack of patience with young players is one of Rangers and Celtic fans' biggest shortcomings.

7. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Totally agree. If for example when PLG was in charge and they had come out with a statement that said he had a 3 year plan to introduce his way of playing and play youngsters etc and it would take time. I would have been happy with that. Many fans would not be but I think we have been short sighted.

8. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    He's been linked to Liverpool as well. WOW. That would be some move for him.

9. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    As big a club as Liverpool is does it really have the correct environment for a player to continue to improve and flourish at this minute in time?

I think he'd be best served at a club like Sunderland. But the best move for me would see him make a switch to La Liga. I think Spain would suit him far better and help him improve no end which would only be good for the national team as well.

10. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Totally agree! This would be the best move for him.

11. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Not so much a team but more to do with Team Sky...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9373280.stm

Sky have sacked football presenter Andy Gray with immediate effect.

The pundit had already been disciplined for sexist comments made about female referee Sian Massey before Saturday's match between Wolves and Liverpool.

The 55-year-old and colleague Richard Keys were stood down for Monday's match between Bolton and Chelsea.

And on Tuesday, Sky said they terminated Gray's contract "in response to new evidence of unacceptable and offensive behaviour".

One sexist comment too far for Gray it would seem.

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Fair play to Sky for their equality in the workplace. Andy Gray clearly wasn't pretty enough so he had to go.

13. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Hell mend him for daring to take on another part of their evil empire. I reckon he's had his card marked since then.

14. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    Apparently Gray was about to sue NOTW for an unrelated matter, and now all of a sudden SKY find a convenient excuse to sack him. Coincidentally, both are owned by a certain media magnate...

15. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Yep. I thought I'd covered that in the post above. ;)

I see that Keys has now resigned from his position. I wonder if Keys had been suing a certain newspaper if any incriminating evidence would have suddenly appeared in the public domain which would have caused him to be dismissed immediately...

16. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    My remark was more explicit;)

I think Andy Gray had been pulled up a number of times for making inappropriate comments toward women - Keys hadn't.

I do think Gray was/is a bit of a blowhard, but he didn't deserve to lose his job over it.

17. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Aye. But if Keys had any legal action impending against Murdoch then I'm sure we would have heard about previous indiscretions from Keys as well.

I can take or leave Gray when he's on the TV. And at the end of the day what he said and did was totally wrong but it's fairly evident that he's been done up like a kipper for having the audacity to challenge Murdoch. National radio stations are using terms such as 'bully' to describe Gray and how he abused his position.

They want to be looking a bit higher up the tree.

18. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
  19. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    With Torres always likely to move to Chelski in this window Liverpool had to go attention grabbing just to appease the fans I think.

The cash they're getting from Chelski will cover Carroll and most of Suarez's fee as well. And at the end of the day, both are young strikers with big upsides. There'll be plenty of sell on value in both.

But I agree with you that the Premiership has gone mad. Mind you, it was always going to be the case when Villa paid £24mill for Bent.

20. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12355022

Broadcasters cannot stop customers using cheaper foreign satellite TV equipment to watch Premier League football, an EU legal adviser has said.

A non-binding opinion from advocate Juliane Kokott of the European Court of Justice said a block breached EU laws.

Although Advocate General Kokott's opinion is not binding, judges usually follow the guidance from the advocate.

If they do, selling sport, movies, or any other content, on an exclusive territory-by-territory basis within the EU may no longer be possible.

"The exclusivity agreement relating to transmission of football matches are contrary to European Union law," she said in her opinion.

"(The) exclusivity rights in question have the effect of partitioning the internal market into quite separate national markets, something which constitutes a serious impairment of the freedom to provide services."

Another step closer to ending the money fuelled Sky revolution in the premiership.

The Premier League's current deal with Sky is worth nearly £2bn - money the league argues is invested in maintaining the quality of the product.

Industry experts say satellite companies face having to reform - leading possibly to the creation of just a handful of pan-European broadcasters.

It was pressure from Brussels which forced the Premier League to offer its live matches to more then one broadcaster, rather then just renew the exclusive deals it traditionally had with Sky.

Packages were consequently taken up by Setanta, and when they went bust, by ESPN.

If the landlady wins on this then the bubble will burst big time in the premiership. The financial fallout from a heavily reduced TV deal will be catastrophic for a lot of teams.