The Teams Not Lucky Enough to be in Scotland thread

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by YankHibee, Jul 7, 2009.

1. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Another gubbing for Ipswich and the question has to be asked. How long before Keane gets the bullet? Or, will he walk first...?

Also worth debating, who's worse as a manger - Roy Keane or John Barnes? Although Barnes managed a point at last today.

2. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009

Keane by a country mile.

I know Barnes is always going to be judged on his spell at Celtic alone, but really, mud sticks.... I think I could have done a better job at Sellick than he did.

3. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I think it's too hard to call. Barnes is a complete disaster area as a manager. Tranmere are now finding this out to their cost but Keane can't be far behind. I'm just glad we never made a move for him. Not only will your team lose, and lose big at that, but he'll also throw your club massively into debt while doing so.

4. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    John Barnes sacked by Tranmere.

Really...?

Surely not...

5. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Just finished watching the big one, Uruguay - Argentina. Taking into account the considerable quality of the players on show I have to say that was the worst match I've watched so far this season.

6. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I'm glad I didn't watch then. I really wanted to see Argentina crash out. I usually like them as a team, but I've thought they're due a crashing to earth.

7. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Villarreal's wretched start in Spain continues. This time they lost 2-1 away to Xerez. But that's not all. Apparently there was a huge barney in the dressing rooms after the final whistle and the security personnel had to intervene.

The ref wrote in his report that he was in his dressing room and heard outside “a tumult of players, backroom staff and police” involved in an altercation. He went outside to see what was going on but could not reach any conclusion as to how it started and who was responsible.

8. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Lyon and Marseille had a bit of a shoot-out tonight didn't they? 5-5 with four of the goals being scored in the last 10mins. Who says French football is boring...

Did anyone watch any Premiership football this weekend? I know our own domestic game is in a poor state and people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones but, I've found quite a few of the live games I've watched in the Premiership to be pretty bland this season as well. La Liga matches have generally been of a higher quality.

I just wonder if the quality is dropping in the majority of countries at domestic level. I think the CL has been good this season. Haven't seen as much of the Europa league apart from our disastrous campaign but it seems to be at a reasonable standard as well. But is the domestic game on a downturn in general throughout Europe?

9. luciusmagister

luciusmagister New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven
    I started the morning about 530 a.m. watching Celtic. I then saw Werder Bremen v. BVB, and I just capped it with Olympique Lyonnais v. Olympique de Marseille. I caught segments of the EPL, La Liga, and the Portuguese game. To me the EPL is like a broadsword and Ligue 1 is like the rapier and dagger. Both can be effective but which would you rather watch?

I don't really want to talk about the SPL that I saw this morning but to say that I should have stayed in bed.

10. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I watched the Chelsea Man U game in the pub. Man U were pretty good but lets just say it did not exactly glued to the TV. I was more interested in chatting. Saying that I don['t have any involvement. I just don't care that much.

11. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I watched the Egypt-Algeria game and it didn't disappoint. Egypt needed to win by three goals to qualify for the World Cup at the expense of Algeria. Unless... Egypt won 2-0 and it would then go to a one match play-off in Sudan on Wednesday.

With 94mins on the clock Egypt were winning 1-0 and looked to be out of time but Aboutrika rose highest and headed in a left wing cross in the 95min.

And Egypt almost scored a third two mins later but it ended 2-0.

I'll hopefully be able to watch the game on Wednesday as I'm sure it's going to be a cracker.

12. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Thierry Henry cheats Ireland out of a place at the World Cup in S.Africa.

I can't wait to hear his explanation... :rolleyes:

13. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
  14. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    :)

Yep. I'm gutted because secretly I'm a closet Ireland fan because I support Celtic... :rolleyes:

15. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Not suggesting that at all. I'm just happy and want to spread the joy.

My flatmate's Irosh and the longer the game went on, I actually started wanting Ireland to win, they were brilliant. Then McGeady came on and I came to my senses.

16. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Redtop headline tomorrow -

The Hand Of Frog

17. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    Obviously UEFA want the bigger teams through, and will make sure that happens through very favourable refereeing, and changing the seeding at the last minute to give the biggest teams the easiest draws.

Watching that game was deja vu for Scotland fans who were cheated out of going to Euro 2008. I feel for Ireland as it's a situation us Scots are all too familiar with.

UEFA "Fair play"?? My erse.

18. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It was pretty shocking. I wanted Ireland to win but when I see McGeady I can't help be glad he's not going to the world cup.

The press are going way way over the top now though.

19. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I saw one which was, "Hand Gaul". Not too bad.

20. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  21. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Just finished watching the Blackpool-Preston match. An entertaining local derby. Especially in the first half when both goals were scored. And fine goals they were too. Including a peach of a free kick from Ross Wallace.

Plenty of other Scots on show. Charlie Adam, now captaining Blackpool had a decent game. As did Stephen Crainey and Calum Davidson. Barry Bannan came on as a sub for Blackpool. First time I've seen the young lad. Made quite an impression on me. He was tricky and direct and had a good eye for a pass. Almost swung the match Blackpool's way after his introduction.

All in all an enjoyable 90mins. Far more so than the awful Merseyside derby on Sunday.

22. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  23. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    oh dear.

24. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Shame for the fans when clubs overextend themselves like this.

25. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    No offence to Portsmouth as I have nothing against them but... good! I'm glad!

I look forward to seeing how Sky will try to positively spin this.

I mean, a team playing in the greatest, most superduper league in the whole wide world, in any sport, ever... and one of it's member clubs is being declared bankrupt.

Tut tut. This wont sit well with Mr Murdoch at all.