The Stephen King discussion thread

Discussion in 'Books' started by Uppa 90, Feb 4, 2010.

1. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Ashland, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got The Wind Through The Keyhole almost a year ago, and I still haven't cracked it open. After the way the Tower saga ended, I'm almost turned off. Anyone else?

2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    First episode went well I thought. Good effects on the Dome coming down and peoples reactions. The cast of characters seems to be very good....especially the red head!
    I'll stay with it and see where it goes and especially how they end it....but then they're talking of maybe extending it. That may be a king sized mistake, he didn't seem to know when to stop.
    Beginning---Middle---and the End..!

Probably the King book I most enjoyed was called "On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft"
    'He' should re-read it..!

[​IMG]

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was actually going to post this. Instead, I'll just second the recommendation. He calls it a "Memoir of the writing craft," as opposed to a how-to, which is what makes it interesting. I'm still not a big fan of the horror genre, but thanks to King I went on to read a bunch of novels by Somerset Maugham, which were pretty good ( as is Maugham's own memoir on the writing craft, The Summing Up. So I'll always give King credit as a defender of popular fiction.

4. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    It was a really good insight on how the system works for writers. It was a testament to him that he kept going after having so many rejections. That 6inch nail on the wall with all the rejections slips stuck up on it. Seems just as he was about to get a real "Day Job" His luck changed with "Carrie"

5. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway

For me, King could have just extended the Dark Tower series into oblivion and I would have bought every last one of them. It was never about the end, it was about the adventure of getting to the tower.
    I don't know how he could have come up with an end to that series which would have been completely satisfying.

As for The Wind Through the Keyhole, I guess I haven't picked it up because it would feel a little weird going backwards into a storyline that was already concluded. Also, Under The Dome irritated me so much that I've steered clear of King the past couple of years.

6. TightAngelicWingback

Sep 16, 2013
    Astride a hawk contorting, and its wings too..
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Samoa
    'The Stand', extended version, exactly as King likes it, remains my favorite King novel and one the most enjoyable novels I have ever read.

'The Running Man' is another King favorite.

But circa 2009 I became sick of King. Consequently, I have yet to read 'Under the Dome' or his JFK one..

When I was but a little boy, R.L. Stine captivated me with his 'Goosebumps'; in my early pubescence, Pike wowed me with his, 'Last Vampire' and 'Remember Me' series.. 'Remember Me' was the first book that really moved me powerfully.

I have been reading Erotica since I was nine.

7. G-boot

G-boot Member

Manchester United
    Nov 6, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like horror in general. I don't get scared by entertainment or don't enjoy being scared. Some do. Some use it as a mental safe distance to rehearse death. That said, I enjoy Stephen King because he is a good storyteller, a writer's writer. He can make me care about scary scenarios for reasons other than being scared.

The only thing I don't like about him as a writer is that when he was coming up in the bookselling world critics gave him shit for not being literary enough, and now he does that in interviews about other writers, saying they are not quality in the literary sense. I thought his experience with those critics would stop him from doing the same thing. Now that he's accepted, he seems to relish in saying things like the Twilight author is no JK Rowling. Still a master though.

8. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Not a horror fan or even a SK fan but I ended up reading both JFK and Under The Dome and have to say I really enjoyed both a lot.

9. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finished the Dark Tower series on Friday, 25 years after reading the first two. An old girlfriend's mom bought me the first two books for a gift. The huge gaps between a couple of the books in the series (3-4 and 4-5, I think) almost did me in. I started the final three books last year after re-reading the first four.

10. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Time to resurrect "Steven King" With his new book "Mr Mercedes"

[​IMG]

If you're looking for an actual resurrection or walls running with blood and pulsating, or perhaps getting the evil eye from a malevolent crow. You'll be disappointed.
    This is Steven King as a crime novelist without the supernatural.

So says my Seattle Sunday Times this morning. Doesn't mean it's not bloody or horrific. I'm quote intrigued and have it on my list. Oh, and with just 400 pages, it doesn't weigh 50pounds.

11. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    "Under the Dome" is being pushed on the TV for the second series. I'm going to pass on it. They're going round and around going nowhere and getting sillier each time.

13. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The family has been watching it and I've been forced to provide commentary. My distaste hasn't abated, despite the fact that the plot bears little resemblance to the book. Lots of Lost vibes going on, which for me isn't a positive.

usscouse repped this.
  14. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Maybe he is making the point that in a closed and to some extent controlled society, it is essential to mock the brutally abysmal and the essentially silly - that this is a primer in the nature of survival?

I haven't read the thing, but I could see why an author might want to do that as open counterpoint to the main structure of the narrative, in a novel like that.

15. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    its all of that but King just doesn't know when...or how to end.

16. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I found myself watching "Children of the Damned" the other night. Don't ask :) Christopher Reeves and Kirstie Allie. It's probably the 3rd or 4th remake from a book I read in the 50's. one of my first scifi books called "The Midwich Cuckoo's" that was the first "Dome" story I read....and the best.

17. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #67 Iceblink, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

New book of stories comes out the first week of November, I believe [edit: November 3]. From the cover, it looks like he might be doing something scary.

By the way, if you haven't discovered Mark Laflamme yet, you should. He's another Maine writer, and some of his stuff is quite cool. He has a book of stories called Box of Lies, and I've enjoyed it quite a bit. Some horror, some science fiction. Varied and enjoyable.

[​IMG]

18. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He really doesn't know. Any of his books. Most of the endings suck. He should spend a lot of time reading the last two chapters of each book in the Harry Potter series. Rowling, on the other hand, knows how to end a book.

19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm semi-skimming an earlier King non-fiction collection that predates the above-mentioned On Writing

[​IMG]

Secret Windows: Essays and Fiction on the Craft of Writing
    , the most interesting essay being the 160 page essay "On Horror Fiction," reprinted from Danse Macabre I don't know much about the genre, but should I make an entry, this seems to be a good place to start drawing up reading lists.

20. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I remember when I read "It". I felt trounced, in the sense that he had gotten me to waste that vast amount of time for no real payoff............

His weak endings are, I feel, a consequence of writing too fast. An ending to a novel needs the time to congeal somewhere between the mind and the fingertips......

21. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I've read about half of Steven King's other fiction, but I never could get into that Dark Tower nonsense..... gave up after 100 pages of boredom many many years ago... my brother loved it though, so I'm guessing there's some worth in it.

22. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Gunslinger is a book that needs to be gotten through in order to get to the good stuff.
    I read an article not that long ago called something like "The case for not reading the gunslinger." Something like that... the writer said that you should just go find a summary, read that, and start with the drawing of the three.

23. Joey Vimsante The Poet

Aberdeen FC
    Scotland
    Nov 4, 2023
    Stephen King is one of the most famous writers of the last 100 years.