The state of Hungarian soccer...

Discussion in 'Central & Eastern Europe' started by goindownsouth, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Todorov

Todorov New Member

May 22, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It wasn't just "unfair", it was a plain cheat. The hungarians lost because of some "vitamin C" injected into the german players legs and a friendly linesman that ruled out Puskás' third goal.

As for the topic, I'm hopeful of the next generation of hungarian players. Some serious base work needs to be done in order for the NT and the clubs to compete at a more serious level but the quality is there. Perhaps in 4 or 5 years we'll see hungarian football back at the European stage. Honvéd, Ferencváros, Debrecen, Ujpest, MTK and even Videoton are all clubs that, given the right management and investment, can produce good results.

I don't know the reality of the sport in the country personally, but I assume it's pretty bad. I've only been to Budapest once but as long as football still gets the young generations excited, good talents will continue to appear. It's only on an organizational level that things need drastic change, I reckon.

If Greece could do it, to some extent, so can Hungary.

I'll be rooting for them.

2. NY Hoop

NY Hoop Member

Shamrock Rovers
    Jun 3, 2003
    Dublin
    Club:
    Shamrock Rovers
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    My club Shamrock Rovers played Honved in September 1985 in the old European Cup in the Vasas Stadium.

I have read in the press here that the Nep Stadium was under renovation at that time. When did Honved move to the stadium they are currently using?

Thanks

KOH

3. sanyi

sanyi Member

Aug 9, 2003
    KÜLFÖLD
    in 1938

4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Conn
    @david_conn

Hungary must play next 3 matches with no fans (one match suspended), for the homophobic banners displayed by their black T-shirted ultras at the Euros.