The stadium thread

Discussion in 'Germany' started by F96, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kaiserslautern's stadium does not have naming rights.

2. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Oh but you will soon :D

3. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Btw what is it with FC st.Pauli playing their first home game in Denmark next season :confused:

Its a great ground but not the most southernly Superliga club and St.Pauli arent exactly Juventus or a Premier League club.

4. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96

It's not confirmed at all. I doubt Danish police would look forward to this.
    Pauli has to play the first game of the season away from home after a linesman was struck by a beer.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cduwbW3-ZbU"]YouTube - FC St. Pauli - Schalke 04 Bierbecherwurf Spielabbruch (Beer cups litter Match Abandoned)[/ame]

There are not that many options. Maybe Lübeck.

5. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I'd say either Lübeck or Kiel - the DFB won't allow more than 13k or so people in attendance anyway, so Kiel having a capacity of 12k isn't that tragic (Kiel's stadium has been renovated very recently, not sure about Lübeck).

6. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Why not do the obvious? Play in Hamburg at HSV's arena? :confused:

7. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Not allowed, the match must take place at least 50 km far from Hamburg.

8. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    You have a park, no stadium. :D ;)

That is right. How could I forget the traditional Fritz-Walter-Stadion. :(

9. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    This obvious issue aside - the stadium would also be way too big (not to mention it being the stadium of their rivals and all). With the attendance being capped at 1/5th of Volkspark's capacity it's really not worth it to play in a huge but empty stadium. Better to make the best out of it and give the fans outside of the city a "home" match (there's likely a fan or two of St. Pauli in SH).

But yeah, might still have been an option if it had been allowed.

10. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I thought they'd go to Hanover or Bremen before knowing of the capacity cap. Kassel certainly could draw quite a number of fans as well, or the Arminia stadium in Hanover.

11. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Volksbank stadion might be far too big for St.Pauli...... but is that a problem? OK it would be if they played there week in week out, but this is one time. I totally fail to see the business in playing outside Hamburg. Hamburg is their home and HSV might be their rivals, but tody their biggest rivals are rather Hansa Rostock so........ but ok then theres the 50km thing..........

12. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    The bigger the stadium, the higher the costs. Selling out as 13k seasts stadium will (all things even) be more profitable than having 13k people in a 60k seats stadium. Atmosphere will also be better.

And I don't know about St. Pauli specifically, but generally fans don't like to play in a rival's stadium. I'd always prefer a neutral ground if given the chance (though Lübeck and St. Pauli aren't on friendly terms either - but not comparable to HSV or Rostock).

"Volksbankstadion" (aka Bornheimer Hang) might be the right size, actually :D.

13. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville

Here is a definition to ponder...
    punishment
    —noun
    1. a penalty or sanction given for any offence

What's the sanction if they play in Hamburg?

14. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Spot on.......

15. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    OK rent would be higher??? But if I was a Pauli director and I looked at my Risc analysis it would say chance to get people in would be better in Volksbank. The basic problem is Denmark or Lübeck would be Factor X.

That was not the point. I am questioning that somebody can say HSV's ground is too big.

16. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan

Well, as was said - the attendance is capped at way below Volkspark's capacity.

If they played there they'd have to pay more (for energy, security etc. in the larger stadium), and the atmosphere would be crap, as the stadium is guaranteed to be 3/4th empty.

In Lübeck or Kiel they'd still sell all tickets, the atmosphere would be better and the costs are lower. Now, for a single game the cost issue isn't that big of a factor. And if they were allowed to they might still have chosen VP for logistic reasons. But it's just that there are also arguments why playing elsewhere in a smaller stadium (including exposing possible new fans to the club) can make sense.

17. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    What I am really trying to say is that doing a game outside their usual business area is really risky since its unaccountable until its done, while doing a match in Vollksbank would be expensive but accountable before the match.

18. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They are only allowed to let a low 5-digit number into the game, regardless of where they play, so why would you rent a big stadium for that? If you throw a party, and you are legally only allowed to let 50 friends in, would you rent a place for 250? Plus, Pauli are probably the fourth most-appealing club Germany-wide, behind Bayern, Gladbach and Dortmund.

19. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    They would sell out in Kiel or Lübeck, guaranteed. Especially Lübeck is less than an hour away from Hamburg - you'd get enough St. Pauli fans to travel to the game from Hamburg. Than there are the St. Pauli fans from Schleswig-Holstein, plus guest fans and finally whatever seat wasn't sold already will be taken by locals curious to see a St. Pauli game.

If they had to try to sell 20 or 30k tickets, yeah, this could be more difficult. But 13k? And in a stadium easily reached from Hamburg? No problem. And I don't think there's a big chance they'll play in Denmark - I'm not even sure if it would be alllowed to host a BL game outside of Germany.

20. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why don't they just make them play in their own stadium behind closed doors?

21. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    St. Pauli appealed the original sentence and it got reduced from a match behind closed doors to the current one.

22. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
  23. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hope they improve the area around it for game day.

The current stadium is basically in a city park.

At least it was on my last trip there.

24. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI4NennOW3g"]YouTube - ‪Coface Arena Eröffnung 03.07.2011 Das Finale [1] [HD]‬‏[/ame][​IMG]

25. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    looks like Mainz was celebrating the 4th of July ;)