The Spurs News Wire

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The Double, May 18, 2010.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    is it profit, though, or just revenues? presuming it's the latter, it won't be accounting for the fact that we'll still be paying for the stadium for a while, which will definitely qualify as an excuse, should Levy keep the wallet closed for players.

That Levy didn't move some players on and bring in others - as Poch presumably wished - was, in hindsight, obviously the wrong move, and there's nothing to keep folks from criticizing him for that. But I'm far less comfortable slating him about spending, in general. Levy/ENIC have always seemed to plow the money back into the club, be it the training facilities, the stadium, or players/staff. Once we've cleared a lot of (what I presume is fairly enormous) debt, that statement will probably, I would think, be closer to true.

electrickeeper repped this.
  3. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Wanyama has been transferred to Montreal of MLS. I would wish him well, but Montreal are managed by Thierry Henry.

Interestingly, 4 players who were the cornerstones of our strongest teams have all been moved on, but not where you would have expected:
    Eriksen to Inter
    Dembele to China
    Rose to Newcastle
    Wanyama to Montreal

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, that team was very well rounded and also in a unique situation. Kane was new and relative unknown, and likable. Eriksen was new to the team, making his first move to a big league with something to prove. Wanyama was following his manager (and pre-injury), and Dembele was in the prime of his career. Vert and then Alde had also been brought in at their primes, and Dier was playing with something to prove. Dele was also emerging and like Kane, a relative unknown, and playing with excitement. Son was also brought in, though not a good as he is today. It is a bit weird to say, but in those days, really the weakest player was Walker with his tendency to get injured/red cards.

5. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No quotes, so this is pure speculation and drama.

7. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    No quotes, but it honestly wouldn’t surprise me. Kane is entering the prime of his career and while the moves Levy makes might well be the correct ones long-term, they are frequently in direct opposition to winning something.

soccernutter repped this.
  8. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    That's what football's all about.

9. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Portuguese authorities are investigating super agent Jose Mendes and Gestifute, the agency that represents Jose Mourinho, for income tax evasion.

10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    PL suspended until April, the best way for us to avoid defeat.

soccernutter repped this.
  11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May not be the best way to get a new manager.

12. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Barca could be in for Ndombele.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-...nited-lead-for-sancho-over-liverpoolbarcelona

Didn't see that coming, though it makes perfect sense. Mourinho advertises his inability to work with certain (often very good) players, and folks sniff an opportunity. This kind of thing is part of the nightmare scenario that everyone knew would eventually come. I think most folks hoped it might be further down the line, though.

Levy doesn't typically dick around when he sees things aren't working. I wonder how long before he comes to the inevitable conclusion?

13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    The conclusion is it will cost Levy the GDP of a small country to dump Mourinho. So he stay, unfortunately.

14. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    It cost us a fair f*cking bit to sack Poch, but Levy does what Levy wants. When he knows Mourinho's not the one, he'll be gone, too.

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to note that it is ridiculous that Kane is being rumored to be bid upon. I'm not irritated that there might or might not be a bid, or that he might or might not be sold (last I saw was for 200mil in what ever currency). I'm pissed that that number if being thrown around like it is nothing, when millions of people are suddenly losing their jobs, people around the world are dying, and there is little anybody can safely do about either. If you have 200 mil to purchase a single player, how about paying all those low wage workers struggling to pay rent or find child care.

Same goes for the 70mil possible purchase of Sane.

********ing ridiculous.

Deep Pal, Golara and BalanceUT repped this.
  16. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I've said for years that Levy is really good with pounds and pence, but not so good with people. this is a situation tailor made for him to, if he's not careful, come off really bad. there is, due to the sensibilities that 'nutter is alluding to, almost an inverse correlation between what will be good for the club's player-related financial capabilities and what's good for 'the rest' of the Tottenham community. I suppose it could be considered a can't win situation, but i'd think it more of walking a tightrope, where he has to manage the club's finances as effectively as possible, whilst taking 'the rest' and their perceptions into consideration in a very real and meaningful way. it'd be a tough job for the most politically adept. it'll be a massive ask of Daniel Levy.

BalanceUT repped this.
  17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not really ranting on Levy. If he takes the money, great, but he better pay the staff he furloughed. I'm more talking about the silly money being thrown around when the entire world is in crisis. Yes, I know, First World and all, but that these rumors can even be printed really shows a lack of concern for the rest of the society.

Deep Pal and BalanceUT repped this.
  18. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    You know what they say - "Some people think soccer is a matter of life and death. But it's more important than that."

Deep Pal and soccernutter repped this.
  19. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most righteous thing I've ever read on these forums. Seriously. What the world is going through puts it all in perspective.

Deep Pal and electrickeeper repped this.
  20. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    oh, I know. I'm just saying that within the context of the dynamics to which you've referred, Levy could have difficulties. He's got to deal with the club's finances - it's his job - and the figures therein are in the tens-of-millions (at least). but if he does it too well, or without weighing, shall we say, 'human' considerations … let's just say there are lots of folks like yourself - that is, not at all comfortable with the football world squabbling about millions when others can't earn a dime.

Deep Pal and electrickeeper repped this.
  21. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i don't know if this can be counted as Spurs 'news' or not, but I don't know where else to put it …

Poch all but comes out and says that he wants, at some point, to come back.

Since the League shut down so many weeks ago, I haven't really given much thought to footy/Spurs, and when I have, it hasn't been pleasant thinking. This, though, makes me happy. I mean, it's not as though it's going to happen anytime soon - or quite possibly ever, at all. It's like finding out from a friend of a friend that your ex- (whom you never really go over) is still in love with you.

hmmm … that analogy's kinda creepy. Let's just go back to it makes me happy.

Deep Pal and IvanIV repped this.
  22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amusing that about a week ago, I saw a couple of articles suggesting both that the transfer fees being suggested were impossible and irresponsible as well as the suggestion that there will be some lower fees and free transfers.

23. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice.

Also, he's saying "club", not "clap". Took me a few seconds to figure that out.

24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, no fans next season?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52529679

Lots of interesting data, but one thing that is missing is that Spurs have not been playing at the NWHL for a full season, so it really is difficult to see how much the stadium will make on average for the season entire.

It is nice to see Spurs have money in the safe, but that makes me wonder why they furloughed staff. It actually makes me mad.

I'm also sure Levy is not excited about playing behind closed doors with the loan payments he needs to make.

IvanIV repped this.
  25. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Who knows what things will look like by August/Sept, but if the NFL stuff doesn't come off, that'll be still more anticipated revenue streams not coming through.

IvanIV and soccernutter repped this.