The Spreadsheet of Spreadsheets

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    If you maintain a spreadsheet somewhere that you think others might benefit from, here's a thread where you can tell us what it is, what it does, and where to find it.

As a bonus, I'll do the dorkiest thing possible and collect links to them in their very ... own ... spreadsheet! It's here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rcTGVB1AtEWIoEOAP2MSxrEtvQepqtMtkS1zpywxK5s/edit?usp=sharing

To make this useful, in addition to a link, please include some information about what you track, how often you update it, and whether you'd like help -- this might be a good way to get that extra bit of labor you needed to finish something time-consuming, as well as suggestions about how best to answer questions you might have.

Reminder: Don't share the edit link if you don't want strangers to make changes, and don't accept requests to edit from people you don't know or trust.

I'll add any useful information to the sheet above. Suggestions welcome, of course.

[​IMG]

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    One thing I'll add -- if anybody's just sitting around with nothing to do, and wanting to do something instead of just sitting around with nothing to do, and who isn't these days: I'd be glad to hand over my dormant foreign YNT tracker and U18/19 callup trackers. The first one, in particular, seems worthwhile.

ShaftBrewer repped this.
  3. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love this idea, Dave!

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  4. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something I've been working on lately has been making a self-updating spreadsheet that reflects the players' stats so it doesn't need updating. I used Excel code but it's so time-consuming to input the formula and players for the pool. Does anyone have any ideas to spread up the process?

5. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Footsatt, you may want to post your excellent 2022 player pool sheet here.

Eleven Bravo and LandonDonovan2018 repped this.
  6. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea what your technical prowess is but I have a python script that scrapes any league I tell it to and it organizes the data in a nice database for me. Then all I have to do is run it to update it and copy and paste SQL code I have to figure out common questions like player minutes and stuff like that.

7. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  9. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    #9 Mahtzo1, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    I made a spreadsheet tracking the U-20 eligible minutes. (I know that isn't unique). It includes 2016 and 2017 minutes if applicable and sets a "breakthrough" limit at 1200 minutes (approx the number that the typical top 13 squad player averages in an MLS season) unless already met in a previous year. It also attempts to measure progress by indicating whether or not the player has increased his playing time vs the previous year by a minimum of 500 minutes (arbitrarily chosen...it seemed like a good minimum number). If a player has not yet "broken through", it indicates the number of minutes needed and also the number of minutes needed to meet the +500 minute improvement goal. In addition, it sums up the total minutes each player accumulates as a U-20 MLS player. (all data is only from regular season, no open cup etc)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/104JO_gUu8eAwjpAP9vfYvzuvkIoGjCCxu5V8aoWVx0U/edit#gid=0

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Thanks for this. I'll add to the list, but it's not currently viewable without permission. I believe you can change that in the settings by making sure that when you hit the Share button, you pick "Anyone with the link can view."

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  11. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Thanks Dave,
    I just adjusted the share settings but am new to this. If someone could access and let me know that the link is now visible I would appreciate it. If anyone wants editing rights, just let me know.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Seems to work for me. Thanks.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  13. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys, is anyone keeping track of U-17 MNT call-ups at all?

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    TheFalseNine repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Also updated the Foreign YNT callup sheet to "Dormant." Help Wanted!

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I've finished filling out the U17 sheet so it's current (for this cycle) and includes the last one. I don't intend to take it past this cycle in either direction, since I mainly was curious about comparing the pre-and post-Bradenton pools. Consider it up for grabs if you want to take it on -- let me know.

Or, if you already have one that does the job and you're keeping current, please share it and I'll add!

17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I updated my "MNT Callups by YOB" sheet with (what I hope are) all of Sarachan's callups.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17xb1g8Jd2bWrXU4g3fXX1aC4A3EQcKYir1ZtHXXGoT8/edit?usp=sharing

At present, he's called up more 95s (10) than any other year, followed by 97s (9) and 93s/94s (7 each).

Add: As always, if you are tracking something that you think would be worth sharing, or would like help with, mention it here and we'll try to find you help. Also happy to help if you have an idea or question about something you'd like to examine.

TheFalseNine and Winoman repped this.
  18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I'll also just add that I recently updated my "MLS Total Points Available" tracker, which measures the percentage of total points (3 points per game played multiplied by total games) taken by the league's best and worst teams. Obviously, this is not YNT related but mentioning because why not.

This year's NYRB had the second best TPA% of all time, trailing only the '98 Galaxy (adjusted for shootouts, so that all SOs were counted as ties using the current system).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sn-t6FExw6rCrJSyKirzebUL-49zxdTrUI7HT2MvR6o/edit?usp=sharing

The Quakes were bad this season, but there have been worse teams.

19. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Added! See your entry here under "All-Time MLS HG Signings":

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rcTGVB1AtEWIoEOAP2MSxrEtvQepqtMtkS1zpywxK5s/edit?usp=sharing

And let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to add to any of the boxes.

21. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Hopefully, I've fixed that.

23. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Maybe this is worth a sticky, especially as more people are contributing their own work here? (Please tell me if you have something to add!) It isn't all that frequently updated but is hopefully useful resource material, plus it gives us a chance to crowdsource/work together.

25. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good idea, Dave. It's been stickied.