The Sports Gene (book)

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Mirzam, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Mirzam

Mirzam Member

Jan 21, 2010
    @Dick's
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://thesportsgene.com/

This looks like an interesting read.

“In The Sports Gene David Epstein blows up the notion that 10,000 hours is all that is required for dominance in a sport and reveals the true complexity behind excellence.”
    —DARYL MOREY, Houston Rockets general manager; cofounder of the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

2. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I've been looking forward to this book for weeks. I've read 10% of it, according to my Kindle. Fascinating stuff.

And yes, I think it will have some lessons for us in youth soccer.

3. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I guess I never thought of it that way, that 10,000 hours = excellence. I do think the opposite, that the 10,000 hours is a bare minimum and there are many other parts of being excellent at an endeavor.

SuperChivo and mckersive repped this.
  4. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that Morely quote is what you get if you hear about the 10,000 hour concept third-hand without actually reading the book in which it was discussed. The main point of the 10,000 hour argument (from what I remember) was to point out genes, money and other helpful circumstances were not the only things that mattered. It was that you needed those unique circumstances as well as spending time (i.e., 10,000 hours) honing your craft.

5. CoachingNoob

CoachingNoob Member

Apr 4, 2013
    He probably didn't read this book either...

From Daniel Coyle blog and the author of the book:

mckersive repped this.
  6. David Epstein

David Epstein New Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Hey everyone--I just came across this post and wanted to let you all know: I'm the author of The Sports Gene, and I'm doing an AMA on reddit Monday night at 7:00pm ET. I would love to answer any and all questions about my book or the genetics of athleticism there if you can make it.

7. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Good luck in your new job, David!

(And take my advice -- stay out of any BigSoccer thread that mentions promotion and relegation.)

8. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder had some interesting ideas on what makes certain athletes superior to others.

My own feelings about it is besides putting the work in those 10 thousand hours you have to have the "Heart" of a winner. You have to want to be the best or want something so bad. That you are willing to do what ever it takes to get there or die trying.

That is why some players who do not have the perfect body type for a particular sport can still rise above that and still become a star.

bajanyankee repped this.
  9. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    You have to read this book.