The Sporting Fans Only Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by Força Sporting, Nov 3, 2005.

1. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's funny actually. People bitch and whine about firing Marco Silva and all he ever won was a Taca de Portugal. Under the same logic, can't we say that Silva's short time with the team was an absolute failure as well?

IDK, we all know the league is corrupt as sh*t and I firmly believe JJ is responsible for pissing away the league. But I'd say winning the Taca da Liga and Taca da Portugal would be a successful season. I just don't want it to save JJ's career at SCP. He's proven that he's man incapable of learning from his mistakes.

AlexJones19 repped this.
  2. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I agree with Alex, disappointing? Sure. Failure? I don't think that's fair. Porto is on pace for 88 points to take the league this year. Based on spending and all that my expectation was obviously the league, but I wouldn't have expected 90 points to win it. My number was 86, which may not even end up being enough.

When you factor in how little seperation there has been between Sporting and Porto throughout all competitions I think it just adds to the not failure line of thinking. We hung around with a team on pace for 88 points all year. Would be a sweet consolation to take them for Supertaca.

Still soccer to be played though. None of this is set in stone. We could potentially not even break 80 points if we choke down the line here. And we haven't won the taca yet.

3. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    2nd also means Europa League at the least next year, and given the circumstances around the coefficient rankings, that would be a success in itself

4. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Marco was given 1 year and was fired for a made up excuse because BdC is a child and wanted to get one over benfica.

You're right though, he didn't win the league so his time here was a failure. But he wasn't given a real chance to build on anything.

5. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
  6. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    And he also got canned from Watford for being a dumbass. Hasn't found a job since.

heavy1981 repped this.
  7. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    lol you're reaching dog

8. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Am I? Dude was out telling his own players he was leaving to Everton.

9. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Am I? Dude was out telling his own players he was leaving to Everton.

10. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I
    I'm sure he regrets turning down Porto Job. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Silva is sh!t!!!! He's Domingos Pacienca 2.0.

11. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Yeah, I mean you also said many times that benfica wouldn't drop any points the rest of the league and they've since lost two games.

Domingos has failed everywhere except braga. Silva broke records at Olympiakos, turned Estoril around, won a shitty trophy at this broken club, brought Watford out of relegation zone, and plays attractive, attacking soccer. He hasn't yet been at any club and performed terribly. Domingos performs terribly at every club. I guess we'll have to see how he does at Leicester or Everton next. You know, clubs and leagues that would never offer a job to either Domingos or JJ.

AlexJones19 repped this.
  12. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yea little early to say he's Domingos. But I'll put my money on him being the next Domingos.

Btw, winning a title with Olympiakos means jack shit. We all know that.

heavy1981 repped this.
  13. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    One of those times I was happy I was wrong.

Dude, Anyone wins at Olympiakos. They've been champions in Greece 17 times since 2000.

Plays attractive attacking soccer? Really? How did he do at Hull city? Ever since he left Estroil, he hasn't stayed at a club for more than 1 year. Maybe he should go coach Estroil next year in the 2nd division.

Are you really a Sporting fan ? You're always negative when it comes to SCP. JJ, BDC, broken club, etc... What gives?

SCP_16 repped this.
  14. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Love SCP21 and his ability to keep it real. I didn't think anyone could be more negative than me. Then I met this dude lol.

15. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I’d actually say he’s just extremely realistic, there are far far more negative supporters.. I wouldn’t say he is at all.

Erm yes he did perform attractive attacking football at hull, they were guaranteed relegation before he came and he gave them even more than a fighting’s chance, they were in the top half of the form table from the time he took over the job

SCP21 repped this.
  16. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So where's he at now?

17. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Probably Everton or Leicester soon. Or Benfica. I mean its fine if you want to keep lying to yourself and say he's the next Domingos, but he's already done way more than Domingos has. I don't get the comparison at all.

Notice how I never said anything about winning at Olympiakos. I said breaking records at Olympiakos. Not everyone does that. Jardim didn't do that.

I don't think I'm negative, I think I'm realistic. Where as you and Heavy blame benfica, porto, benfica, the refs, benfica, pdc, benfica, and every single other team in the league (all owned by benfica apparently) for every loss, foul, whatever that happens to this team, I like to look in to whats going on inside. I don't think benfica has some wizard forcing the players to play badly or JJ to make stupid subs. You are flat out delusional if you think this club isn't broken. Theres no question that it is. No question at all. Only a broken club with a broken president does what BdC did. Only a broken club has their players rally on social media against a president like a ********ing #metoo moment. That doesn't happen at a healthy club. It just doesn't. I don't think being a fan means pretending that everything is fine when it clearly is not.

My issue with BdC has been the same since day one, and it's the same issue I have with most SCP supporters, he hates benfica more than he loves Sporting. Its childish and embarrassing.

My issue with JJ is that he was given three years, paid more than all the managers in this league combined, and didn't win the league. It was worth a shot, but it didn't work. Time to move on.

AlexJones19 and natenate101 repped this.
  18. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm fact, I'm on record to say JJ is a ********ing clown and should've been fired awhile ago. I started the "Fire JJ thread. I've commented on how embarrassing this club is. That being said, constantly shitting on our roster when we probably have the most talented group we've had in years gets old. Literally every player.

As far as Silva. He's been fired for 4 months and still no job. Everton decided to stick with Sam Allardyce. He made it known he wanted to leave for Everton and showed no loyalty and got sacked. I think he's a great coach but in no way am I going to proclaim he's anything more than a decent manager. I still think, in hindsight, firing him and hiring JJ was a colossal mistake. But let's be honest all Sporting fans favored hiring JJ at the time. We were fooled.

I do agree that is time to move on.

19. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I dont shit on literally every player. In fact ive been pretty open about how much I love Rui. I never shit on Bruno Fernandes or William or Gelson. I dont shit on players give it their all for the club.

Ocasionally do on Dost cause to me its very frustrating watching players not get involved, but like i always say he does put em away at least. There are a lot of players that i dont think are either good enough or worthy tho, you are right about that.

SCP_16 repped this.
  20. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Where do I start....

Listen, I understand some of your points and logic. I don't agree with some of them, but I understand.

Regarding the Domingos reference, my point I was trying to make is Marco Silva is a small club coach who can't cement himself anywhere. maybe he'll do it at benfica, but we all know anyone can do it there.

I don't think this club is a broken as you say, far from it to be honest. This club needs unity and all the garbage needs to be filtered out. BDC isn't perfect, but he's by far one of the best presidents we've had in a long time.

Regarding the whole thing with the players, there's a lot more that's going to come out in the future and we'll see who was within reason when the dust settles. BDC and Coentrao seem to be a great terms. It's looking like William and Patricio are being the shit disturbers, but tha's what it seems like. Like I said, I'd love to hear the entire story one day and make a judgment call than.

Regarding the whole "blame Benfica" thing, well how can you argue? The writing's on the wall. With some much corruption evidence and ongoing match fixing investigations ongoing, how do you not blame them for anyone not winning besides them? They control everything. Everything from the FPF and Judicial system right down to the different news papers.
    Here's BDC investing in a good coach, spending money on good players (Dost, Fernandes, Acuna, etc) and we still can't win nothing? Teams like Estroil, Martitimo, Setubal play their hearts out against us but when they play benfica they let balls through, score own goals, etc... Is that all a coincidence ?
    Let's be realistic, Benfica shouldn't even be in the conversation of a title this year and they are.
    Against Chaves refs allowed them to play until 96th minute until they scored and won 1-0. Against Rio Ave Refs allowed them to play until 96th minute and tie the game. Against Boavista. Benfica lost but game went to 97 minues. Against maritimo Game went to 96 minutes in a 1-1 tie. Against Belennse, Benfica tied it in the 97th minute. Against Feirense, benfica penalty at 98 minute mark, Against Moreirense, Benfica penalty at 98 minute mark. Against Brage, penalty at 95th minute mark. Against Setubal, Penalty at 93rd minute mark.

How many points does this all add up to? No other team gets this treatment. Benfica has over 400 fouls committed this season (almost double of sporting and Porto) and yet only 1PK against and 1 red card against.

There's so much evidence that they should've been in 2nd division ages ago, yet nothing happens.

You talk about being a realist, lets be a realist. These are stats that impact the game and lean heavily to one side.

The Portuguese papers all report the good of Benfica. Promoting their young kids, Benfica's accomplishments. With Porto and Sporting it's always the negative. Most recent is cover pages of papers publishing the true values of our debt reduction and BDC must explain.

You ever see a paper publishing stories on Benfica's and LFV's 600 Million debt? nope. But, when LFV said a few weeks ago he was going to reduce their debt by 200 million, it made headline news.

This is the type of crap true fans fail to see and it's the sad reality we live in as a SCP fan.

Marco Silva will probably go to Benfica and win a title or have a stellar season and Rui Victoria will leave benfica and not win anything relevant.

We need to be united on all fronts and support our president cause he's doing a great job. He's not perfect, don't get me wrong, but we're not going to find a president that gives every ounce of energy to trying to make things right.

As for JJ, I don't love him. Never said I did, but I do like him and thing he's a good coach. I don't think he's leaving and will play out the final year of his contract.

We're all entitled to our own views and opinions, and this is mine.

Peace out!

AlexJones19, vilafria and SCP_16 repped this.
  21. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    18-19 pre-season

Eis o calendário:

Dia 7 de Julho – Adversário a designar
    Dia 10 de Julho - Adversário a designar (Suíça)
    Dia 12 de Julho – Sporting – FC Nantes (Suíça)
    Dia 14 de Julho – Sporting – OGC Nice (Suíça)
    Dia 16 de Julho – Sporting – PSV Eindhoven (Suíça)
    Dia 21 de Julho (Jogo de Apresentação aos Sócios) – Adversário a designar (Estádio José Alvalade)
    Dia 25 de Julho – Sporting – Sporting da Covilhã (Estádio Aurélio Pereira, Academia)
    Dia 28 de Julho (Troféu 5 Violinos) – Sporting – Ol. Marselha (Estádio José Alvalade)
    Dia 3 de Agosto – Brighton & Holve Albion – Sporting (Brighton)

OndaVerde repped this.
  22. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    As much of a shitstorm the last few months have been, i'm actually quite excited for next season:

GK: Viviano, Salin
    RB - Gaspar, Ristovski
    CB- Matheiu, Coates, Marcelo, Pinto, Duarte
    LB- Lumour, Coentrao(?)
    CDM - Palhinha, Misic, Paulista
    CM - Geraldes, Bruno F, Wendel, Gauld, Cesar
    RW - Mane, Gelson (possibly)
    Striker - Montero
    LW - Raphinha, Matheus Pereira, Acuna

That's genuinely not a bad squad, with an emphasis on some of our promising talents who i really want to see kick on this season. There's still question marks over Podence, Leao, Gelson in particular but imo the only positions we desperately need to strengthen are left back, Striker and Defensive midfield

23. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    With the loaned players coming back that JJ refused to play, we can still have a competitive squad definitely. Geraldes and Matheus deserve a chance and have quality. Raphinha had a great season for Guimaraes.

AlexJones19 repped this.
  24. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    If we're being honest, its a worse squad than Braga. That midfield is soft as baby shit. LB is a mystery. CB pairing is overly reliant on an old and injury prone Mathieu who has no real competent back up. Unbelievably Petrovic is probably in the lead for starting CDM. If Gelson doesn't come back we need a rw. Mane is decent but he's more Yannick than Gelson. And Montero. Dude's not good enough to make it here on the Vancouver squad. Serious striker reinforcement needed.

TBH the only positions I think we're good at are RB (looking its best in years), and LW. CM too if Bruno Fernandes stays.

SCP_16 and OndaVerde repped this.
  25. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    We need to thin the squad definitely. Also need to know what kind of tactics Peseiro uses, we're basing things on JJ's 4-4-2 and Peseiro might change things up. Personally a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 would make more sense.