The Sky isn't Falling

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by RoyalYank, Oct 11, 2017.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But look at all the savings in money we won't have to give players and staff for bonuses!

2. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    It affects future and potential sponsorship deals. Companies bank on the world cup being where they're going to really get their $'s worth in advertising. If they're now worried about US making world cups, they're not going to shell out what they would have.

Pride and image are part of it, but there are absolutely real and tangible setbacks as a result of last night. They're going to feel the effects of this years down the road.

Semblance17, juveeer, owian and 2 others repped this.
  3. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Some yes, but I believe it is less than you are arguing. Look at Netherland history, do you see any major value diminished due to not going to WC?

You still have the regional comp. Now if "If they're now worried about US making world cups, they're not going to shell out what they would have." this could have real impact but I doubt and the regional comp will help alleviate these feelings

4. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    You asked what we really lost other than pride and image and insinuated there wasn't much of anything. I gave an example.

The dutch are also a poor comparison to the US. Soccer is already at a fever pitch in the Netherlands and it will continue to be so regardless of 2018. The world cup can be of tremendous importance for the growth of the game in this country.

Hexa repped this.
  5. RoyalYank

RoyalYank Member

DCUnited
    United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Alexandria, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha! the age we live in is one where Panama and Honduras are good...and The Dutch and Argentina and Mexico may go down....(and the USA)

6. RoyalYank

RoyalYank Member

DCUnited
    United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Alexandria, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what? Arena blamed himself didn't he? Hasn't he? #theAnti-Klinsmann

7. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mahtzo1 and kitzbuel repped this.
  8. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Actually I think there will be changes.

There was a lot of money invested in the US making the world cup. The most powerful people on this planet are very upset....not because they care about soccer but because they care about money and (more importantly) power. They will create all the accountability needed. Make the fans unhappy and small changes can happen. Make the money people unhappy and large changes will occur. The changes will be made behind the scenes (I am sure changes are already in progress) because that is how money works. The results may or may not be what the typical soccer fan wants.

9. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    You must know that this is a myth right? FIFA did not and will not lose $$$ because US didn't qualify. WC is a global event and even in the US do you really think Telemundo coverage will sufer one bit because the US is out?

who is upset that the US didn't make the WC? FIFA? WC sponsors? who?

FOX lost $$ and so did the USSF and MLS. You may argue that Russia might lost a bit also because americans spend a lot but it is not like there will be empty statiuns and unbooked hotel rooms...

US isn't that important in this game... No country alone would make FIFA lose money simply by not showing up

2in10 repped this.
  10. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    the US is a huge market and Americans love spectacles. I don't think that the US missing out matters in the least to the rest of the world (fans) and world viewership but the global conglomerates like the US money. the US market may or may not be small compared to the rest of the world but it is certainly not insignificant. Sponsorship and TV money in the US is very important to the companies that were counting on the US to be in the world cup. The world cup will probably still get high numbers in the US but the US being out of it will definitely hurt the sponsors in the US market. the difference will not be so much in the soccer fan but the US fan that watches any spectacle....olympics, world cup, winter olympics.....

As for who? I would guess anyone that was planning to show the world cup in the US and any sponsors that wanted to sell anything to the US market.

http://www.adweek.com/tv-video/fox-...he-2018-world-cup-without-the-u-s-team-in-it/

11. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    We need to break down and analyse your point. I think you are mixing up US internal market with World market and doesn't have a clear picture of who will lose money because the US is out. Let's see:

"the US is a huge market and Americans love spectacles." Fact, agree 100%

"I don't think that the US missing out matters in the least to the rest of the world (fans) and world viewership" we can agree here also

"but the global conglomerates like the US money. the US market may or may not be small compared to the rest of the world but it is certainly not insignificant. Sponsorship and TV money in the US is very important to the companies that were counting on the US to be in the world cup." what?

Sponsorship and TV money - You do realize that Fifa already sold FOX the TV rights for the 2018 and 2022 WCs (english and spanish). So Fifa is just fine and so is Telemundo (spanish rights). Fox as I said made a bad, bad investment they can hope US does better in 2022...

Sponsorship -

You do realize that the TV adds you watch during the WC are local adds. I don't need to tell you that soccer and the WC aren't the most popular sport/spectacles in the US of A. If global conglomerates want to market their product to the American (english speaking public) they have NFL, NBA, NHL, Baseball. Also, Keep in mind that none of these conglomerates spent a dime, at this point, on adds or TV time on FOX.

Maybe you mean FIFA sponsors, take a look on who they are. Some have no presence in the US at all (vivo, Gaspron), others are global brand that values the WC due to its global reach http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/partners/index.html

I believe you are thinking about the companies that sponsors the US mens NT? http://www.ussoccer.com/about/sponsors they will suffer a set back, but this types of NT sponsors usually have some payment tied to performance. I don't know the length or any details on these to try to make a guess. Some of these companies sponsors more than one team (nike) or the whole event (Budweiser, Coca-cola). I can say USSF and MLS got hurt

In conclusion,
    FIFA did not lose any $$$, Russia might lose a bit if American spend on average more money than European. Russia will be a summer road trip for Europeans... The only people loosing money is FOX, US NT sponsors, USSF. Well actually the same for netherland and Chile (if someone did a FOX like deal in those countries) and those NT sponsors (nike and puma I think) Not having these teams in 2018 does not affect the WC or FIFA at all. (Just like if Brazil or Argentina or Germany or France didn't qualify)

I think if this was the Brazilian Cup the travel impact would be higher (Brazil is far from Europe) and Americans came in force.

I found this article on the subject - http://www.foxbusiness.com/features...rld-cup-elimination-deals-setback-to-fox.html -

12. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    As far as FIFA not losing money, you may be technically correct but I would be surprised if those at FIFA are particularly happy about the US not being in. I was never arguing fifa will be pressured to change or fifa will lose money...didn't even occur to me because I considered the topic to be mainly US based. My statement about lost revenues referred to the revenues that could be expected to be lost by companies advertising in the US market (and would also include fox. While it may be true that the some of the advertising is regional, much would be national and I would guess that at least some of the corporations will be upset that they are losing out. You can downplay it as FOX, US NT sponsors but those are exactly the groups that are likely to put pressure on the USSF. The USSF, meanwhile, will be sensitive to their needs because they want the money from those groups. As far as my statement about "the most powerful people on this planet"...maybe to some degree that is hyperbole but the largest conglomerates all do significant business in the US and some will definitely lose money. When they do, they won't be shy about trying to influence the USSF so that US soccer will become a better investment for the future.

13. Olo2317

Olo2317 Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    challenge: latino street kids would beat and humilate usmnt players in street soccer !

14. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope.

It'd be more like the "Scallenge" a couple of years ago. Bench player and NBA roster-filler Brian Scalabrine going 1-on-1 with local basketball players. Beats them off the court. Which makes sense. He's a professional basketball player against a random guy in the street.

"Latino street kids" is the soccer equivalent of gym randoms. Sure, they pull Elastico's when playing other non-professionals, but against people whose job it is to play soccer? Not going to happen.

Losing to TnT because of poor roster selection, tactics, and a lack of game-changing talent, does not mean that your average Joe is better.

WrmBrnr, napper and Elninho repped this.
  15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bruce Arena for President! :whistling:

Olo2317 repped this.
  16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Keep Obama out of this. :p:D

17. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've seen that over and over again.

Back the early days of MLS when it was much weaker than today, Matt McKeon, a low-skill defensive midfielder in MLS, was known to go play pickup games in parks during the offseason and dribble everyone at will.

Some time around 2004 or 2005, Seth Stammler, also a defensive midfielder in MLS, played a single game for an amateur team in New York as a sort of publicity stunt. He played defensive midfield in that game, and mostly sat back and defended -- but four times in the game his team fell behind, and four times he dribbled 60-70 yards to score within two minutes after his team conceded a goal.

For that matter... there's even a big gap between the bottom end of college soccer and the random guy in the street. I know this because I played on a terrible D3 college team that won an average of 1-2 games a year. Since we were in the LA area, where there was a ton of street soccer going on, some of us went to play those "Latino street kids" when we were out of season. And even our goalkeepers looked like Ronaldinho playing against them. Keep in mind this was players from the very bottom end of college soccer -- who are still easily in the top 10% of American amateur players.

I'm not going to rule out the possibility that some of those street players might have professional-level technical ability. But you can't tell in that context, because every decent player can pull a whole range of impressive-looking moves when playing against virtually nonexistent defense.

juveeer, superdave and TOAzer repped this.
  18. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Sky isn't Falling? Then why does it keep clobbering me on the noggin?

19. RoyalYank

RoyalYank Member

DCUnited
    United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Alexandria, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    google 'anecdotal fallacy'?

20. RoyalYank

RoyalYank Member

DCUnited
    United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Alexandria, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PS: I was boycotting Russia 2018 anyway. If we have to miss a world cup than Russia 2018 is the one to miss. Qatar 2022 is #2.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Boycotting Russia and Qatar seems like the decent thing to do.

If we don't get hosting rights for 2026, let's boycott that one too.

MK3owner repped this.
  22. Californian81

Californian81 Member

Chivas
    Mexico
    Oct 26, 2017
    Title is puzzling. What can be worse than missing the world cup? Short of the federation closing it's doors and MLS folding, nothing.

It's the worst thing that can happen to your team. It's rock bottom.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  23. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I believe the OP was a joke. Although "sky is falling" depends on one's view. Some people are giving up on U.S. soccer and/or denouncing every aspect of it. In reality the U.S. is not the first decent CONCACAF team to struggle in the hex.

24. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Sky done fell!

TOAzer, Suyuntuy and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  25. RoyalYank

RoyalYank Member

DCUnited
    United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Alexandria, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OP is in earnest. The sky isn't falling. We have great young talent, MLS, economic control of CONCACAF, and great influence at FIFA. That said, if Allerdyce or some other euro genius is hired coach, I will become chicken little in chief.