The Sky isn't Falling

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by RoyalYank, Oct 11, 2017.

1. RoyalYank

RoyalYank Member

DCUnited
    United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Alexandria, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Bruce Arena...nothing needs to change

kennytt and TheKraken repped this.
  2. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bit early for mainlining tequila I'd say.

3. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. The sky is not falling. It is in a million little pieces after crashing down last night.

4. WhyMe

WhyMe Member

Nov 7, 2015
    NYC
    To miss the World Cup in the piss poor CONCACAF Region you have to go full retard and make hundreds of errors along the way. I don't want to hear but the other countries got better, no. USA with all the resources and pool should never miss the World Cup in CONCACAF.

5. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    That was Panama breaking the glass ceiling.

7. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Ok, I will bite. just don't bite my head off

So you missed a world cup, what is the real damage here? Seriously what did you lost?

Well,

1- Pride and a biased view of your team (every fan thinks their team is better/stronger than reality) is damaged. But this is a good thing, Some part of your fandom ("US will dominate soccer", "if the best athletes...", "FIFA just lost a ton of $$") is tiresome...

Brazil lost 7x1 in 2014 and lost the 1950 final to Uruguay. Neither Netherland nor Chile is going to Russia. No one think these teams are a joke because of that.

2- MLS - the ability to attract bigger tv deals and foreign player took a small hit, but nothing dramatic

3- Fair weather fans - you do not need those

4- US Soccer in general - This a good thing you can re-boot the whole program

5- Soccer trolls got feed - But even if you made the semifinals in Russia the Trolls will always be there

So really, besides YOUR biased image of your team and pride what did you really lost?

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After last night?

No, it's late for mainlining it.

russ repped this.
  9. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously this is a complete and total C*** F**** with S*** B***** and C**** on top. This is horrible terrible and not something I expected to see in the near future. BUT if it had to happen this was the best time to happen. Soccer in the US in every way is as strong as it has ever been. Unlike '98 or '02 this won't be a fatal blow to the sport here. And if anything it will filter out fans who just follow the US because they get to chant USA-USA every four years and the ones that are willing to put up with rough times. Still sucks though.

But one thing is we do need a SERIOUS review of our development. Maybe the review decides we doing things right and need more time fine. But we seriously need to look in the mirror. The current crop of players simply isn't good enough.

Honore de Ballsac, kennytt and Hexa repped this.
  10. kitzbuel

kitzbuel New Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What did we lose? Going to the World Cup. The whole point of World Cup Qualification is to go to the World Cup.

11. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    OK, but come 2022 no one will care. It is not like US will stop playing soccer or that all your achievement to this point is no longer valid. It is your pride and image that is hurt that's all.

Brazil survived the 7x1... you will too

kennytt and 2in10 repped this.
  12. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing is going to change or improve though. Nobody cares and nobody is accountable. That's just the age we live in.

13. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    #13 stucknutah, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    ...I will join in on the bite...

For all of Klinsman's failings (inability to coach tactics being the primary one) he did force US Soccer to look more seriously at the organization and emphasis of this nation's youth programs. It was the failings of these programs from years ago (as exemplified by 2 straight missed Olympics) that created the dearth of talent at key ages. Without going in to great detail, it appears that the focus on player development by the combination of US Soccer, MLS squads and local clubs is already paying and will continue to pay dividends going forward. (See U20s, U17s). (We could arguably throw American football's massive concussion / long term brain damage problem into the plus category for US soccer as well. )

Frankly, with better talent, you will see better results. With the youth development in better shape and the huge population the US should not miss future World Cups. (In contrast, the Netherlands is small population-wise...if they don't have special players come through consistently, they don't have the depth to qualify consistently in a more competitive Europe.)

The next step is the obvious one. Change the leadership so everyone knows, in this results-oriented business, that winning matters. Bruce is obviously gone (I would assume voluntarily). So in Sunil. (I would unfortunately assume NOT voluntarily.)

Get new leadership to hire the next head coach. Let the coach drop the older dead weight and work with the real talent at the U21 and lower levels and get this squad ready to compete for WC2022. Allow the coach to find a style that matches the talent.

If there was not real talent at the younger ages, I would agree that the sky IS falling and that the fix would be delayed by 10 years. As it is, this could be the much needed blip that pushes US Soccer forward.

Monarch Bay Beachbum, jessyca and Hexa repped this.
  14. TheKraken

TheKraken Member

United States
    Jun 21, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love how he went into the post-game presser and just blamed the players. Classic Bruce.

juveeer repped this.
  15. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not making the World Cup? Sky already fell, dude.

Alexisonfire repped this.
  16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he didn't.

Reyna's work on setting standards for academies and a grading system predated Jurgen.

Also, Sunil's position is elected. From the way you wrote about him, I'm not sure you know that. It wasn't clear.

Elninho and russ repped this.
  17. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    Indicative of his whole career. He NEVER takes the blame for anything.

juveeer repped this.
  18. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010

This presupposes that we somehow can't be left behind in a changing world. It's nothing but arrogance and magical thinking. It's this same thinking that led to coalworkers in WV siding with Trump and the same thinking that led USSF to go back to Bruce. We need to adapt, not shell up or go backward and pretend we aren't running hard enough. This has nothing to do with running hard and everything to do with Omar, MB and other goobers being the guys we have to rely on in a must draw match. Bruce killed us by thinking TnT would bunker counter and we would score first and then not adjusting.

The game has changed and we are entitled to NOTHING in this sport because we are USA. Seems CONCACAF really has gotten more competitive in recent times and MLS plays a big role in that. The question I have is what has the league done for us?

19. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    i do. He could resign or announce that he will not seek re-election. My assumption is that he will do neither and he will need to be voted out.

20. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Are you an American? If not, has your home country qualified for the World Cup? The World Cup is one of the best times to be an American soccer fan; the sport gets its day in the sun, the bars are packed with people decked out in red, white, and blue, and you feel like you're a part of something much bigger than yourself. I've watched so many games by myself in qualifying or the Gold Cup, and I love the idea of being with a crowd of people who, even if just for a few weeks, care as much as I do. It's irreplaceable, and it hurts that this summer it won't be an option.

Soccer isn't going away in the USA, and I have no doubt that our 2022 team will be much stronger for the loss here. That doesn't mean that missing out on the experience of the World Cup is any less disappointing.

21. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    For one, the federation just lost a ton of money in world cup payouts, value in exposure/growth, and potential sponsors.

Money is massively important in the growth of the team, and we just missed the bus on an expected windfall.

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The way I see it I did not expect this team to do anything in Russia anyway.

I have been saying for many months that teams would take advantage of our back line and old Keepers and we would be lucky to get out of the Groups stage (if we had qualified). Also, We never do well in Europe.

Would going 3 and out in Russia have made this team any better? No.
    In some ways it could have fed the disease if we would have had a couple of positive results and peoiple would think we are okay.

Now they can have a sense of reality at the federation top and start trying to figure a new direction a year in advance without having to suffer in Russia.

russ repped this.
  23. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem was the windfall was expected instead being worked for.

24. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    #24 Hexa, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    No, I'm not an American and yes we qualified. My post was for the "sky is falling" feel. Disappointing is not the same as the Sky is falling. You can still enjoy the WC and adopt a team

Financial setback will be more severe for MLS IMHO, but not break the league. US Soccer won't get the WC payout but this doesn't mean that some project (development) will have to be cancelled; Sponsor deals are in place already... It won't affect US Soccer deal value unless you miss the next Cup also (not likely). I still think your reactions are about pride and the image you had of your NT...

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  25. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The sky fell hard af

Android Cat repped this.