The Silverbacks and support

Discussion in 'Terminus Legion' started by ATLfirefan, Jul 28, 2011.

1. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm relatively new to this particular section of the forums, but I have a question:

How many of you are actively supporting the Atlanta Silverbacks?

This is a soccer team already in the Atlanta area and I think if we as Atlanta soccer fans/supporters want to bring a higher level of pro soccer to the city, we should show up to what we already have.

The team needs your support, the sport needs your support. Are you support them both?

2. westau

westau Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at a game about a month ago and had a good time. We were going to go to another game but the schedule worked out that I was already going out of town for literally every other game of the year so that won't work out.

I recommend everyone go though for sure that hasn't yet.

3. MPoole

MPoole Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I make it out to about half the games. I used to play every week as well, but having a baby at home killed that.

4. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a lot of true soccer fans found it hard to like this team in the first half of the season. However, since the second half began, the team is 2-0-1 and has scored eight goals in three games.

Now the team is sitting in SEVENTH place and only SIX points away from a playoff spot.

As a true fan of this team, I am BEGGING the true soccer fans to come support these guys. Seeing the work and determination they have put into their work and to see how far they have come is great. I hope you all can come see it, too.

5. westau

westau Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the team makes the playoffs so I might be able to catch another game this season(as long as the game isn't on a football Saturday).

6. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to the last two home games, and the product was night and day. Last night, they couldn't touch Tampa's perfect passing, after having beaten them soundly last time. Meanwhile, the crowds have definitely picked up since Traffic has taken over, although the last owners didn't have the benefit of Twitter (hardly an excuse for their lack of marketing: I didn't know we had a soccer team until I literally happened by the place by COMPLETE accident years ago). Hopefully, they really invest in the stadium; the gameday environment is still subpar and concessions are a nightmare, and season tickets cost more than seats in row 10 downstairs for the Atlanta Falcons!

7. westau

westau Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, are you joking about the season ticket thing? The good season tickets are $300 and the cheapest Falcons season ticket in the dome is $350. The cheapest lower level season ticket is $702.

8. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm comparing the 'Back's best seats (Platinum: $2000 regular, $1500 before November) with the Birds' (nearly) best seats (Orange: $1200 when I bought mine in June, and $1350 today), since I only sit downstairs, near or at centerfield/court/ice, behind the home bench at any sports venue. I'm talking about overall ticket package price rather than per-game price, so I was half-kidding about them being more than Falcons tickets. Still, I was surprised to see anything in the 4-figures for 'Back's season tickets when they handed out pricing guides at the game vs. Tampa. Seeing this, I wonder how much MLS season tickets would cost in this market.

http://atlantasilverbacks.com/pro/index.php?id=6

http://tickets.atlantafalcons.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/2011PricingMap2.pdf

9. RutgerATL

RutgerATL Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow the midfield tickets are over a thousand? I'll stick to the $100 sections. I think that is a deal. I don't have much problem with the concessions either. Sure the line for the non season ticket holders is long, but the prices are great and the food is pretty good.

10. westau

westau Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is only midfield on one side and gives you tickets to any event at Silverbacks park, not just the Silverbacks men's team games. I am not really sure what that actually includes, but it isn't really a fair comparison either way. The other side of the stadium midfield seats are $250 a season ticket or $26 a game.

The Falcons won't even tell you how much their club seats cost either.

11. IceFunk

IceFunk Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    best post in this entire expansion section...

12. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was comparing seats at midfield behind the home team's bench at two different venues. Seems fair enough. Seeing anything priced in the thousands at a minor league venue was surprising; the glaring differences in the two venues and teams seemed obvious enough, or so I thought :p

I repped this solely because I learned there is a city on Earth called Beaverton. :cool:

13. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to Atlantic Grill a few weeks ago and saw 4 'Backs fans talking soccer for hours.

Just imagine if Silverbacks Park were across the street from IKEA in Atlantic Station...

Resurgens repped this.
  14. Resurgens

Resurgens Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Athens, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the dream... why have the silverbacks not tried more advertising in atlanta?

15. RutgerATL

RutgerATL Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have been doing more advertising in Atlanta. This is the first year I've heard radio ads ever. In the spring I heard them on now gone Dave-FM and just this week I've heard them on 105.7. They have begun making the rounds of the Futbol bars during the am EPL games to try and get some of those fans to attend games. They team has also done a lot more appearance spots around the city this year.

16. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 'Backs' marketing is lightyears better than it was when I first heard of them (barely) back after World Cup 2006. They're even getting some coverage in the AJC at times, and I've seen more advertising around town, including on trash cans and other signs. The real issue is the level of the league and the fact that they don't play downtown, where pro sports belong.

17. Resurgens

Resurgens Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Athens, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a marketing major at the moment and even if the pay was terrible I would love to work with them after graduation. Even better would be the MLS team (hopefully coming)... I'm trying to get like 10 guys to come to the Cosmo game and the Soccer Bowl. I think the only thing we can really do without major advisement is be evangelical and just ask are friends and especially the euro-snobs to come to the games even offering to pay for their tickets. If y'all want people to fall in love with ATL soccer. We could even go door-to-door, the Jehovah Witnesses of Association Football!

18. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Euro-snobs don't appreciate MLS, so screw 'em. I'm only interested in people that like soccer, not the posers that have probably never been outside the States. An MLS team here needs to do what all or most of the other teams have failed to do as expansion franchises: market the hell out of the team early and often. Also, don't fall into the trap of marketing only to soccer moms: advertise to actual soccer and sports fans. The multi-sport sports fan is very underserved here, while there's tons of cross-marketing in Washington, for example.

19. RutgerATL

RutgerATL Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why wait until the team abusing the Cosmos name comes to town? There is a game THIS Sat. Game time is 730. Westside 109 tailgates in the lower lot stating about 6. Ultras tailgate in the upper lot starting around 4. I know you are welcome in 109 and the Ultras are always looking for more fans.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes they sound kind of like this.

21. RutgerATL

RutgerATL Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, plus what's with the downtown where pro sports belong? Have you ever looked at NYC? Only two franchises play"downtown" ie Manhattan. The Knicks and the Rangers. The NFL and MLS teams don't even play in the same state as downtown. A lot of pro teams don't play anywhere near downtown. I don't like the idea of going down to the dome for soccer. For me it is a pain in the ass to get to, but that is just me in Decatur. For others it might seem easier.

22. Resurgens

Resurgens Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Athens, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I know the Cosmos game isn't until like November 2 and there's like 4 game in between now and then but A) That's the first Saturday night I can off at the moment B) I'm trying to make in easy for the guys who are coming with me. Next Season I'm hoping to get season tickets, and stand with the Ultras every Saturday.

ceezmad repped this.
  23. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is the highest league of soccer in the US, so I'd support that. Euro snobs think even MLS isn't big enough. There's a difference.

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Silverbacks play in the highest soccer league in Atlanta/Georgia, MLS snobs think even NASL isn't big enough, that is the similarity.

25. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minor league is never major league. Simple. Should we settle for ECHL just because there's no NHL here anymore? No way.

Anyway, the point is moot: we're getting an MLS franchise, and that's the best league in the USA. If you think that's snobby, I wonder how you like the die-hard Man U fans from Lawrenceville.