The Shteve McLaren'sh FC Twente thread [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  2. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    There goes Champions league next year :eek:

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Was that directed at Ajax or at Twente Amsteldam?

4. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Ajax obviously

Why was Braafheid playing left-wing?? And I think Braama left-back??

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    We play Dutch football. That means our players change position all the time. Braafheid played left back, Brama defensive midfielder.

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    By the way, while I want us to finish second in the eredivisie, I don't see the point of us playing another CL qualifier as an unseeded club against a seeded big club. I'd rather have us play in the UEFA cup straight off to be honest.

7. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    OK, but what I meant was is Braafheid permanently playing forward??
    Like Urby

Anywho, Ajax will not be playing CL next year, thats how many years in a row now??
    (I lost count) :(

8. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    To be honest I still think Ajax will finish second! With us coming third. Which is fine, we're on the way up in a long-term plan. I'm very proud of our boys giving it all till the very last second of the game yet again (its the upteenth time this season that we scored in the last minute) even when they're knackered. Thank god we've got some proper rest now after playing four games in ten days.

Our opponents these days put two man markers on our left winger Elia so it makes sense for the very quick Braafheid to go forward a lot esp against teams that play a 4-4-2 like PSV as he does not have a direct opponent against them.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You are probably the only one around who thinks this. It's clear from recent matches that if you clog up the midfield against Ajax, you are likely to concede only one goal if that. The only way Ajax win is by keeping a clean sheet. This worked a couple of months ago but isn't any longer. There is no creativity in mid-field to get any kind of flank play going.

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Van Basten has simply never managed to make a team out of Ajax. I thought a telling sign was when Leonardo got past his opponent on the wing yesterday and there were two Ajax players in front of the goal yet he tries to score himself. That kind of thing just doesn't happen at Twente, even though you have more high-quality players than us.

On that note: you've got to love the look on Arnautovic's face after Kufo scored!

[​IMG]

11. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm not so sure of that
    That we can agree on.
    And he has the biggest budget in Holland to work with, so no excuses

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    You've got too much quality up front to not finish in the top 3. Besides everybody's struggling! The only in-form team right now is Heerenveen.

13. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    But will top 3 get us a CL qualifying spot??? :confused:
    We need to finish 2nd, dont we??

14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    You do but your games remaining look easier than ours (apart from your last one, of course).

15. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did you get a yellow card? Drinking and posting again?

16. Looks easier, but van Bastard will undoubtedly make it difficult enough like fielding players Feyenoord didnot think to be good enough! Did you see how Sno was playing?

17. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Sno's been awful. I also don't get how Kennedy goes from the stands to the bench to the starting XI and back again in just four weeks. The only conclusion is that Van Basten doesn't have a clue. Fact is though Ajax still have a 30 million attack and a much bigger squad than Twente. That's bound to pay off at the end of the season. Like I said I don't mind, Id rather see Ajax get slaughtered in the CL qualifiers than us.

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Twente update.

N'Kufo has three more goals to go to break the all time club topscorer record set by Jan Jeuring in the 1970s. Considering N'Kufo's historical record against Willem II, who knows it could happen this weekend.

More N'Kufo news: he's retiring in 2011 to join his wife in Canada but will finish his contract with us.

We're officially after the following young forwards: Biseswar (Feyenoord) De Jong (De Graafschap, Siem's 18-year old brother), and Beerens (Heerenveen). This indicates that we will lose Elia and perhaps also Arnautovic in the summer.

Another rumour: Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink might return home.

19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Enjoy the "reward" of having to defeat Chelski just to make it into the main draw, Johan. :D

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    How do you lot feel about Blaise? :)

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Well exactly. It's just two more random games you have to play and that you know you'll lose before the real season starts.

22. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    A true Twente legend! He's got a 20 goals a season record with us, you can't ask for more for a club of our stature. Very fair player and nice person as well.

23. Vandervaart

Vandervaart Member

May 21, 2003
    London
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What's up with the slagging off of Ajax by a Feyenoord fan in a Twente thread:rolleyes:??

24. Take any chance I can get:D

25. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I must have some serious eyesight problems, since I haven't noticed that Twente this season is playing with the Arke Stadium on its shirt!!! I think it's excellent! Back to the nineties!

Reminds me of the Man Utd short I bought in, uh, 1995? I also had a Bologna shirt like that.