News: 'The shot' ends 40 years of hurt

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dcpohl, Jun 3, 2008.

1. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good find.
    I never knew there was a rematch between the players in that 1989 game in 2006 .... that's kinda interesting.

good story.

3. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was that the last time we scored from outside the box from the run of play??:)

4. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well over 230 minutes ago! :D

5. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great article--although "40 years of hurt" implies that anyone cared between 1950 and 1990

"40 years of hurt" will more accurately describe my sports existence come my 40th birthday if not for BC hockey and the Quakes

6. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is great to read. I was too young when it happened, and I didn't know most of the history about it. Thanks for posting it.

And as for our last goal from outside the box in the run of play, there was Landon vs. Ecuador (he had at least one from outside the box) and Feilhaber vs. Brazil obviously. I don't know if theres been once since then. EJ will probably score from our own half tomorrow though :D.

7. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    I know you're joking but Sorber in the run-up to 94 and Kirovski against Hugo Boss in 99. Joe-Max might have been beyond the eighteen when he stitched that one against Argie in June 99.

8. JBHuk

JBHuk New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Point well taken, but wasn't Benny outside the box vs. Mexico in the Gold Cup?

9. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was joking, but how can everyone forget Dolo's 70 yard blast vs Germany?? ;)

11. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    You really are joking.

12. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    ------
    Soccer was of only nominal concern to most Americans in 1989, but there was a lot riding on the outcome of their last qualifier with Trinidad and Tobago. Months before, the USA was awarded the hosting rights to the next finals, in 1994, but FIFA's decision was pending the national team's qualification for the 1990 finals. As if that pressure was not enough, the Americans had scored only one goal in their last three qualifying games and needed to win in Port of Spain, which was in full party mode, against what was considered the best Trinidadian side of all time, with the likes of Russell Latapy and Dwight Yorke.
    ------

Had no idea that the decision by FIFA to select the US as hosts of WC1994 "was pending the national team's qualification for the 1990 finals."

13. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    It wasn't.