The shame of Calgary

Discussion in 'Canada' started by napolisoccer, Sep 3, 2012.

1. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In my opinion it is absolutely a shame that Calgary ( over 1 million of inhabitants ) hasn't a soccer team in MLS, NASL, USL PRO , PDL, NPSL and neither in CSL !!!! What is the reason ?

2. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Geez, I thought this would be another thread about the Whore

CanadianGook repped this.
  3. KLR650

KLR650 Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Halifax, NS
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Good grief... is it the shame of Naples that they don't have a team in the Scottish Premier Ice Hockey League?

No because Naples (Calgary) doesn't care about hockey (soccer)
    No because Naples (Calgary) is a really long bus ride from Edinburgh (Rochester/Minneapolis/Toronto)
    No because Naples (Calgary) doesn't even have a hockey arena (soccer stadium)

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  4. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think that Calgary will likely be the next Canadian city considered for NASL expansion.

5. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Only if an ownership group steps up. NASL is not like MLS. MLS announces it is willing to take an expansion team, examines the various offers, and selects the one that makes the most sense for the league. NASL just takes what they can get so long as the cheques don't bounce. They aren't in a position to consider cities.

This isn't a slam against NASL because it's just the reality of D2 soccer here. I'd like to see Calgary in the league because I think it could support a team (despite the much lower soccer interest than in Edmonton).

6. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Today's Calgary is a very different city from its "Cowtown" past. It has become a very cosmopolitan city, certainly enough to warrant the kind of crowds required for NASL.

The fact that a few prominent Canadian players such as Kevin McKenna and Nik Ledgerwood come from southern Alberta also tells me that there is a soccer core that would be interested.

But you're right, it mostly depends on whether or not an ownership group is ready and willing to finance its startup. Even if NASL doesn't look into it, the CSA may try to find such people. No doubt that increasing the number of professional clubs in Canada is a high priority for them.

7. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Calgary doesn't appear to have the two things required for an NASL team:

1. Stadium
    2. Ownership group.

There's your answer. Bringing in an NASL team would mean huge $$$ loses for an ownership group.

8. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They can play at McMahon. Not ideal, but it's enough to get them going.

And yes, there's no ownership group right now, but it's not a foregone conclusion that one won't come along.

9. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Not even the equivalent of Foote Field? They can't start small and work their way up?

I'm surprised to hear there is nothing in the city the size of Calgary between a community park field and McMahon.

10. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There used to be Mewata Stadium where the CSL's Calgary Kickers used to play but the 10,000 seat facility (where the Stamps used to play prior to McMahon) was torn down in 1999 to make room for a skateboard park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Park_(Calgary)

11. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    C'mon guys you missed the coolest soccer field going. Might only seat three people but it's pretty cool - Moaca :)

SAIT sports facilities are in great shape
    Adam Bowen Score Editor November 24, 2011

Post-secondary athletic facilities are often some of the most in-demand and highly utilized services a school has to offer, and SAIT’s are no different.

How many schools can say they have a FIFA level two certified soccer field? SAIT can.

[​IMG]

The Cohos Common field could be considered the jewel of the SAIT athletic facilities crown. The field, which opened in 2010, now provides the Trojans with a FIFA caliber soccer pitch.

“What we have is a FIFA level two playing surface that is state of the art, in terms of the quality of the synthetic turf that it’s on,” said SAIT athletics and recreation manager Budd Brazier.

Not only does the pitch provide less load bearing on the parking garage held underneath, it also allows SAIT to potentially host national level events.

“The playing surface as you see today is just phenomenal,” said Brazier.

SAIT makes a pitch for soccer venue notoriety

Friday, September 10, 2010, Calgary, AB – The Honourable Gary Lunn, Canada’s Minister of State for Sport, today helped SAIT Polytechnic unveil a soccer pitch that is being hailed as one of the best in Alberta.

SAIT’s redesigned Cohos Commons pitch is perched atop the institution’s new and innovative underground parking garage – and features a breathtaking view of Calgary’s downtown skyline. The playing surface is made of synthetic grass-like fibres with a rubber pellet and sand infill system. With its padded waterproof membrane the surface is virtually unaffected by inclement weather and is believed to minimize player injuries.

Minister Lunn and SAIT President and CEO Irene Lewis officially opened the pitch at a ceremony preceding an Alberta Colleges Athletic Association (ACAC) match between the SAIT Trojans and the Lethbridge College Kodiaks.

“As a SAIT alumnus, I am proud to be here today to celebrate the opening of the Cohos Commons soccer pitch,” said Minister Lunn. “Participating in sport – whether for recreation or for competition – builds strong individuals and strong communities. I applaud the school for creating this beautiful venue, which will benefit athletes for years to come. And, I’d like to wish the Trojans all the very best for the upcoming season.”

Lewis said the redesigned Cohos Commons is a reflection of the institution’s value of sport.

“SAIT believes sport is a powerful contributor to social and personal development. It’s an important contributor to the fabric of society, to culture, education, economic development and prosperity. The value we place on it at SAIT is reflected in this and other investments we have made recently to our sports facilities.”

According to Grant Stevens, head coach of the Trojan men’s and women’s soccer teams, the high-quality field will attract athletes serious about soccer.

“SAIT is the only post-secondary in Alberta that has an artificial turf field specifically for soccer use,” said Stevens. “It’s a fantastic pitch to play on.”

The original Cohos Commons was named after Martin Cohos, renowned architect, current volunteer and long-time friend of SAIT. It opened in 2001.

12. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are there goods news for a soccer team in Calgary ?

13. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remembe they used to have the Storm, then the Mustangs, but both were pretty short lived. Calgary has been the only place in Canada I've ever been. I adore the city, and it's quite big in the city proper, but with a metro that isn't much larger than itself, iirc.

Any Calgarians remember those two teams? Just bad ownership?

14. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    So apparently back in March, it was announced that Calgary are to have a PDL team in 2015

This is to the the Calgary Foothills U-23 team, the senior team apparently plays in the Alberta Soccer League (potential the stepping stone to a regional D3 league?!)

They have played a few friendly matches this year, including a 2-1 win over Vancouver Whitecaps U-23 in June

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  15. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Could it be a stepping stone to a NASL club. Out of curiosity the baseball stadium, Foothill Stadium, currently has no minor league baseball for some time now. being right next to McMahon stadium could that be a site of a future soccer stadium for a NASL club. Doubling as a better sized CIS stadium for Dinos football.
    I am not sure if keeping the baseball stands and renovating to soccer would work but the location and backing of Flames LP could see a better use for the location and stadium

16. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    An update on the new Calgary team here although there's not a lot of new information:

http://www.uslpdl.com/home/850180.html

The old Calgary Storm/Mustangs started in the PDL and actually drew very well (around 2000 per game) by PDL standards. There's no indication that this group plans to use the PDL team to jump to a higher level the way the Storm explicitly did.

I'm always happy to see another Canadian team. I'd prefer for Calgary to end up in the NASL but we'll see what happens.

17. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    As they say, slow and steady wins the race. I think that it's highly likely that Calgary could support NASL, but I'm not the one sinking my own money into it.

I think MLS has demonstrated that slow steady growth is the way to go, given its financial sustainability when compared to the old NASL which tried to get too big too fast.

Once well established in PDL, they can look at getting a USL Pro senior side going in the next five years, maybe be in NASL within 10.

18. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Flames LP is currently considering the options for a new Arena and Stadium. Within that they will be including options for Dino's football. If the Flames are to back and add a NASL franchise to their brand it would likely come within the framework of these plans.
    One option that has been rumored out there is an Arena and CFL/Soccer stadium at the same site. With a smaller venue for Dino's football and practice facility on the University campus land.
    Somewhere along the lines of what OSEG has done with Landsdowne Park with the Stadium and WhiteCaps are doing in Vancouver with UBC with a Modern first class practice facility.
    So far the CSA has sanctioned USLPro for the three MLS clubs. Whether they would OK this outside the three MLS clubs right no the answer is a no. With the direction being a Canadian D3 league similar to Ontario and Quebec with a higher level pro club being NASL D2 in the US and D1 plus for Canadian cities.
    Making sense of a NASL club coming in Hamilton to rival the Ottawa club. Calgary entering to rival FCE.

19. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    You know, I'm not sure I believe the common wisdom that it was too rapid expansion that doomed the old NASL. I think it was stupid expansion. MLS is currently expanding very rapidly but it is doing it with billionaire owners and suitable stadia. The old NASL pretty much handed out franchises in cereal boxes. Heck, even the current NASL requires owners with at least $10 million and, not counting poaching by MLS, they've lost only one team.

The whole USLPro/NASL thing seems like such a waste to me. Imagine where we would be with MLS as D1 and a united D2 league comprised of the top twenty teams (off the field) currently in NASL/USLPro. We'd have a D1 league averaging 19 000 fans per game and a D2 league averaging 5000 fans per game. We'd have over forty very stable professional soccer teams without even counting the MLS USLPro farm teams.

But back to Calgary: You are correct. Let's see how they do where they are at and take it from there.

20. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    you may be very right about the whole NASL/USLPro thing. Problem is as of now they are two different and separately run leagues. There seems to be some bad blood between some of the ownership groups. As well the USSF has set the standard by which each level shall exist by the amount of $$$ it takes to run a club or something like that.
    The dollar difference makes it easier to start an expansion USLpro club. Seeming there is no advantage right now to owning a NASL club to a USLPro club.
    If this could be worked out somehow between the two leagues under the governing USSF then we would have a good number of D2 clubs that draw and are supported with a 5K minimum plus attendance.
    Having the MLS and its minor league affiliate being something that is designated as something different as being a true organized minor league with an affiliate Major league club.
    Trying to build a D2 league, a D3 league, and an affiliated minor league club is clouding the lines of what is what.

Add in CSA interest in building their own infrastructure. So far not identifying USLpro except as part of a MLS clubs minor league affiliate and only able to get expansion into the NASL as the highest level in Canada at this point with MLS now looking to much bigger metro's in which Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver meet

21. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    With the already top organization soccer youth/academy organization in Calgary already in place and now stepping up into the PDL. Could see a situation that happened with the Fury in Ottawa once the Flames plans for a Stadium and Arena come to fruition. Where they can add to their brand a NASL club to be a second tenant at a new stadium/arena project with the soccer organization already having everything in place to take the next step except the financial backing of a big time group like Flames LP.
    Agree no need to rush it until stadium plans are in place.

22. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  23. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #24 cflsteve, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/24th-minute/csa-cfl-and-nasl-to-launch-canadian-league-r4701

I remember hearing about this as well. I am not sure the whole CFL would be involved. Likley would be individual clubs like Ottawa has done and Hamilton plans to do. Still no news out of Calgary Flames S&E though. They would likely be the best group that would be able to put all of this together and make it a success. Question is are they interested??

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/i...-cfl-and-nasl-to-launch-canadian-league-r4701

24. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The other two CFL cities are Winnipeg and Regina. Winnipeg already has WSA Winnipeg in the PDL, perhaps the Bombers would consider buying the club and promoting it to USLPro or NASL.

Regina on the other hand I think is extremely unlikely to be able to support even USL Pro. Maybe PDL, but that's about it. The best hope for Saskatchewan would be in Saskatoon, even then a bit of a stretch. Both cities are around 200k population.