The Senate

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Revolt, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It died with Eisenhower.

NORML, raza_rebel and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    If the democratic vote coalesces around one candidate and he/she makes it into a runoff against Duke, LA could actually be a pickup for the dems. Something nobody was predicting until now, to be sure.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump

If Democrats win the toss ups that 270 to win have for 2020, we could end up with a 50/50 Senate, and the party that wins the white house will have the tie breaking vote (unless there are party switches).

https://www.270towin.com/2020-senate-election/

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    538 with a story on the small state advantage Republicans have in the Senate and how it did not used to be this way.

upload_2020-7-29_18-46-40.png

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...tes-it-just-didnt-help-republicans-until-now/

EvanJ repped this.
  5. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SetPeace and xtomx repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son is 20; I think he voted in 2018 but I'm not positive. Anyway, he's gotten 2 pieces of anti-Thom Tillis mail already. Both pieces appeal to him as a black male.

It's interesting that the mail is so micro-targeted. It's even more interesting that he got it this early; if he voted in 2018, he voted early because he was enrolled at UNC-Charlotte at the time.

dapip repped this.
  7. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am seriously skeptical that debates on CNN would do much to change the trajectory of those races. Desperate times call for desperate measures. :laugh:.

dapip repped this.
  8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why the hell would people outside their states care about a senate debate??

onefineesq, dapip and Funkfoot repped this.
  9. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAIL. MARY.

dapip and superdave repped this.
  10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sounds like the GOP are looking for more fundraising opportunities.

soccernutter, onefineesq and taosjohn repped this.
  11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do people nationwide care when Congresspeople speak on TV in general? I don't think people nationwide would watch Senate debates, but a highlight and discussion show about several Senate races could get viewers. If candidates in many of CO, GA (regular, the special election has a jungle primary with a ton of candidates so there can't be a one-on-one debate), ME, AZ, IA, NC, TX, AK, SC, MI, KS, and AL agreed to a schedule to have three nights that each have three debates simultaneously or in consecutive hours on TV only within each state followed by a discussion of the three debates that national TV could advertise in advance, it could get viewers. Furthermore, candidates could make statements about somebody or something that could influence voters around the country if their statements were heard or read nationwide.

Ed Markey defeated Joe Kennedy III in Massachusetts' Senate primary. New Hampshire and Rhode Island on Tuesday September 8 and Delaware on September 15 are the last Senate primaries before Election Day. Georgia's special election and Louisiana will have jungle primaries on Election Day, with runoffs if nobody gets a majority. Nobody will get a majority in Georgia's special election. Georgia's regular election also requires a majority, but Republican incumbent David Perdue, Democrat Jon Ossoff, and Libertarian Shane Hazel are the only candidates. If Perdue and Ossoff is close there might not be a majority, but a majority is possible. Georgia has Republican incumbent Kelly Loeffler, five other Republicans, eight Democrats, one Green, one Libertarian, and five Independents, for a total of 21. Louisiana has Republican incumbent Bill Cassidy, one other Republican, five Democrats, one Libertarian, and seven Independents, for a total of fifteen. Democrat Adrian Perkins is the only candidate other than Cassidy with a Wikipedia page, which I use to guess how well-known candidates are. If Republican Dustin Murphy doesn't get many votes, Cassidy could win a majority on Election Day to avoid a runoff.

12. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch Marta....

dapip repped this.
  13. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kelly beating up McSally is why I think AZ is a lock for Biden. There isn't a lot of cross ballot voting nowadays...

dapip repped this.
  14. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally. 17 pts is brutal. I guess the NRSC may be looking at abandoning McSally at this point. They don't haver a lot of money to waste on her. She is cooked.
    Actually, 6 pts for Cal is nice as well. Since Cooper will win Governor race, It will be a strong coattail from the D side of the ticket in NC. Good news for Joe.

15. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That, plus Tillis is a sitting incumbent who can’t even break 45% in polling, let alone 50%.

charlie15 repped this.
  16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New NC senate poll has it tied. But the poll has Trump +2, which is out of range with other polls. So that poll has a GOP lean.

As we learned in 2016, that doesn't mean they're wrong. They might have a better handle on who will vote.

17. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cory is under 40%. For an incumbent that is abysmal.

A new Morning Consult poll in Colorado finds John Hickenlooper (D) leading Sen. Cory Gardner (R) in the U.S. Senate race, 48% to 39%.

In the presidential race, Joe Biden leads Donald Trump, 51% to 41%.

18. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that is a tough poll. Haven't most had Cunningham up 3-6 points? I could easily see Cal win here and Biden lose, much like what happened in 2016 with Cooper.

19. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This look like an outlier. First time I have seen Tillis at 45. He barely cracked 40 in most polls. He is shitty candidate to say the least.
    Having said that, the better Cooper and Cal's chances are, it is likely Biden will win NC as well. Cross tab voting in this environment is going to be difficult.

20. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck with that message Thom Tillis!

Politico: “Thom Tillis has struggled to mollify conservatives in North Carolina since joining the Senate six years ago. But standing onstage and addressing volunteers in a county Republican headquarters here this week, he had a message for any base voters still wary of him: You may not love me, but I guarantee you’d hate Chuck Schumer running the Senate.”

21. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More trouble for Tillis. He has been the beneficiary of DeJoy contributions shenanigans. That dude is in serious shit.

22. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh good, maybe that will even out his opponent sending texts to a woman not his wife saying she was on his “to do” list.

https://amp.fresnobee.com/news/nation-world/national/article246191610.html?__twitter_impression=true

For ********s sake.

xtomx repped this.
  23. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *sigh* Yup.. Tillis might have just gotten saved because his opponent couldn’t keep it in his pants...

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And by "it" you mean his cell phone.

I mean, it's just sexting. Not even sex. Talk about anti-climactic. (See wut I did there?)

Yoshou, xtomx and taosjohn repped this.
  25. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #2550 xtomx, Oct 3, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    It does not appear to be another "Anthony Wiener Situation," at least.
    But really, how can people be so stupid?