The Senate

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Revolt, Feb 11, 2008.

1. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    That's a lot of dope get smoked.

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enjoy?

http://ostseis.anl.gov/guide/tarsands/

3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
  4. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha. No. Just the first thing that came up. Since you're the one claiming that Chevron made a higher profit on a more expensive process that produces a lower quality product, I suspect that you are the one that doesn't have a clue in what the extraction process is.

5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Shell not Chevron, not that it matters to a dumbass like you. And it isn't me making the claim, it was Shell. Take it up with them.

6. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got a link for this?

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ... bump ...

Landrieu Crushed

It was a foregone conclusion anyway.

And, frankly, good riddance. She wasn't worth the seat she held. She was well out of step with contemporary party realities, and I know there are plenty of Dems in the Senate and elsewhere who are pleased the party no longer has to coddle her.

ElasticNorseman repped this.
  8. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    She did better 57-43 loss then I thought she would. She lost because LA is a deep red sate and if voters have a choice between a republican and democrat who acts republican lite they will always choose the real thing.

9. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    [​IMG]
    Sen. Boxer Won't Seek Re-election In 2016
    - N.Y. Times
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/09/u...nt-seek-re-election-in-2016.html?ref=politics

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  11. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell us how you really feel about her :p

dapip and roby repped this.
  12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I feel like it's possible that she might have been able to represent me a bit better in Washington than she did during all these years, but hey, I still wish her the best. I do hope she enjoys her retirement. :D

13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestingly enough, this might be an opportunity for a Republican pick-up. Thanks to California's top-two primary if enough Democrats enter the race to split the vote and only a couple Republicans enter the race, it is possible that two Republicans could end up facing each other in the general.. That has happened a couple of times in House races in California, but generally in bluish-purple districts.

American Brummie repped this.
  15. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Never happening you know nothing of my state or how the CA Democratic Party works. They will endorse one canadaite in the primary and crowd out the others.

16. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here in Ohio, former governor Ted Strickland makes it official and will enter the Senate race against incumbent Rob Portman. There is another Democratic challenger, but I can't imagine that he'll have a chance against Strickland. This will be a huge race and will end up bringing in a ridiculous amount of money. I'd think Strickland will have a decent shot at taking back the seat for the Dems, but of course there are about a million unknown variables that could certainly trip him up before November 2016. So much depends on the nature of the presidential race, especially in this state. In a way, knowing Ohio's historical importance in tracking the presidential result, it's hard for me to see scenario when (to pick a name at random) Hillary Clinton wins the presidential race and Strickland loses the Senate race. Or vice versa; if Clinton loses Ohio, it's tough for me to see Strickland upending Portman. Anyway, it'll be a fascinating race to follow.

17. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2492 EvanJ, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    That's like the Prisoner's Dilemma in game theory. In the Prisoner's Dilemma, each prisoner will confess because he is worried that if he doesn't confess, the other prisoner will confess and testify against the prisoner who didn't confess. The prisoners would be better off if neither of them confessed, but the prisoners can't talk to each other. In California's primary, a Democratic candidate obviously has a greater chance of being elected by running than by not running, but if too many Democrats running leads to both general election candidates being Republican, all the Democratic candidates are worse off. A difference is that in politics the candidates can talk to each other, and sometimes withdraw and give their support to another candidate.

On another note, I don't know much about California, but does anybody here know about Lois Capps? In a book about House of Representatives elections, I read that Lois Capps won a special election and a regular election for the House in 1998 after her husband Walter died while in the House in 1997. The district included San Luis Obispo. Lois is 77 and still in office according to Wikipedia.

18. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a horrible system. Well, in one sense it's no worse than our regular election system, but that system is unjustifiable as well.

19. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    #2494 riverplate, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Sen. Barbara Mikulski, Maryland Democrat, To Retire - N.Y. Times
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/03/u...ulski-of-maryland-to-retire.html?ref=politics

20. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Menendez Expected To Face Criminal Corruption Charges - Washington Post
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...expected-to-face-criminal-corruption-charges/

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    NV now looking dicey for the Dems. Makes WI, IL, and PA all the more vital.

Will be interesting to see who the R's nominate in FL.

23. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Harry Reid To Retire From Senate In 2016 - N.Y. Times
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/28/us/politics/senator-harry-reid-retire.html?ref=politics

24. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed.. It certainly makes the seat more difficult.. However, Reid retiring this year isn't a coincidence. Being a presidential election year, there will be a larger turnout, which generally means a more Democratic lean.. Obama carried Nevada by pretty good margins and if Dems are able to repeat that it could resuly in Drms retaining the seat.

25. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strickland up by 9% on incumbent Portman here in Ohio, according to a new Quinnipiac poll:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/elections/2015/04/06/ohio-senate-poll-04-06/25338623/

I find this part most interesting (and heartening, from my pro-Democratic perspective):

"Only slightly more than half of voters say they know enough to have an opinion of him (Portman)," Brown said. "Strickland, who has been out of office since 2010, is very well-known. Three-quarters have an opinion and it is favorable by 20 percentage points."

About 38 percent of Ohio voters have a favorable opinion of Portman, while 49 percent have a positive view of Strickland. The former Ohio governor has an 18 percentage-point edge among independents.