PBP: -The Semis - Discussion - Hurricane, Too

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by CoachJon, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I think they're both bogus because airlines have demonstrated for at least 20 years that they're pretty good judges of when it's safe to fly. To my knowledge, neither Dames nor Johnson is an aviation engineer.

sitruc and CoachJon repped this.
  2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Not unfounded, at least when the NWSL finals and NCAA finals were concerned. The NWSL attendance in Orlando was bad. The NCAA finals was so bad it Isn’t clear that even all the parents showed up.

3. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    That wasn't even close to the issue.

sitruc repped this.
  4. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    There's already reports of 4 people who have died. Assuming their goal is 0 deaths (which maybe 4 doesn't seem like much to you, but personally I think that's 4 too many when we had such advanced warning), I don't think they over hyped it. It's far better to have told people to evacuate that didn't need to then to have not told people to evacuate that needed too.

:ROFLMAO: I didn't want to set myself up for that abuse. ;)

McSkillz and BalanceUT repped this.
  5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #105 MRAD12, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    I was at the NWSL Final in Orlando last year.
    If it wasn't for the mass amount of Riveters who crossed the country to be there, it would have been just me and a few other Chicago fans who thought the Red Stars would be in the Final and bought tickets weeks ago, a few locals and to be honest, I hardly saw many NC fans.
    Riveters took over that stadium and made the atmosphere.

6. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention, two of those deaths were in Willmington where supposedly according to @Beau Dure there's zero danger and everything is peachy keen. Unfortunately there is now a 5th death... maybe the media annoyingly broadcasts danger, warnings and hype evacuations because hurricanes, even a "wimpy" category 1 can still cause a lot of damage and potential deaths?

7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding from what I've read is that the reason for the seemingly long decision-making time was that the Courage fought really hard to keep the game at home. Apparently at some point in the last two days, they gave that up. It would be good to hear from them why they decided to give it up -- did they decide that the weather was going to be a problem or did they just wear out?

Reading between the lines, there were three options they considered if the game location was to be changed. Chicago, a neutral site somewhere in the East, and Portland. Portland wasn't enthusiastic but went along, and initially got dropped out of the conversation. But, the Courage said "no" to Chicago. For some reason, a neutral site somewhere in the East got ruled out. Why is the big question for me. I'm betting it was for cost reasons. Not being able to agree on Chicago or a neutral site in the East, they came back to Portland and Portland reluctantly agreed.

It sucks for North Carolina and its fans and the league and real WoSo fans.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

CoachJon repped this.
  9. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Just a warning here. I've had it, and I'm going to lose my s--- now.

No, McF-face. I didn't say there's zero danger in Wilmington. I lived there for three years, and I've been worried sick about my friends for a week.

I said Raleigh is not Wilmington.

Which you would f---ing know if you'd look at an f---ing map before you try to explain Mid-Atlantic/Southeast geography to a 48-year-old who has lived his whole life in the following places:

Athens, Ga.
    Durham, N.C.
    Wilmington, N.C.
    Greensboro, N.C.
    Northern Virginia

So fine. Play the game in Portland. Play it in Hawaii as a doubleheader with Bellator. We haven't been to the moon in a few decades -- play it there. No chance of rain, excessive heat or fires. I don't care.

But quit f---ing twisting my words and the map to make it sound like I'm advocating for the Red Stars to play beach soccer on Wrightsville Beach in the middle of a 10-foot storm surge.

Got it?

Also ... nah, I can't finish this without getting the mods on my case, though if anyone complains, I'm going to demonstrate with serious justification that I've been seriously provoked by dishonest and/or negligently uncomprehending people.

This whole episode has simply fed the stereotype that women's soccer fans would rather pass judgment first and ask questions later ... or never.

Bleepity bleep bleep bleeping bleep.

(Meanwhile, I can tell you from Facebook that @AndyMead, who is not in Wilmington, let alone on the beach or standing on the banks of the Cape Fear River, is doing well. Thanks for asking.)

10. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Did they post that to scare us? Yikes. Reminds me of when I was on a small plane from Columbus to Dulles with JP Dellacamera and John Harkes (commercial and coincidentally -- this wasn't some weird media charter that doesn't exist) and we aborted our landing.

And still, we haven't had a weather-related major airline crash since ...

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Oh please. Spare me. Or ask me. Or mansplain to me how people around here will feel on Sunday. And a cursory look at any NHS or weather forecast issued in the last three days would show RDU in the 6 inches of rain band, not the 15.

Yeah. On Monday and Tuesday it looked bad. By Wednesday, not nearly as much, and by the time the decision was made the "15" inches or more and direct hit by Florence forecasts were a memory.

Again. This is Raleigh-Durham. This isn't Fayetteville, it's not Charleston, it's not Wilmington, it's not Colombia. Geographic ignorance and an inability to read and understand what the National Hurricane Center, the various European models, and most mainstream weather forecasting websites have been saying for the last three days is really getting tiresome.

I'm okay with the game being relocated. Whatever.

But to be honest the actual number of non-natural deaths and destruction in the Triangle will likely be down this weekend because people will be hanging out at home and not out committing a statistically normal number of murders or getting into a statistically normal number of fatal car accidents. If anything, this storm is likely to a life-saving event in Raleigh-Durham. And the lack of car wrecks being offset with the odd tree falling on someone's car or knocking out a transformer making the "infrastructure destruction" a wash.

YMMV.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The posted us to show that planes are landing normally. A 25mph wind with 30some mph gusts is every other Tuesday in Chicago.

Hell, I remember taking off sideways from ATL when going from Boston to Guatemala City for WCQs (2004 or 2005) - the year 4 cat 3/4/5 hurricanes went across Florida. Irene (I think) was heading up the state and bearing down on Atlanta. We took off 20 minutes before schedule. The boarding instructions weren't by zone - they were - "Everybody on the plane, we're leaving". Everyone was orderly and polite and we got out of there.

Anyone thinking the league or an airline was ever going to put anyone in any real danger is just crazy.

And I'm pretty sure the team was never planning on playing the game on Sunday - even with the change in forecast. I think the team was trying to keep the game and have it played on Monday or Tuesday.

13. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Answer me this, why is Curt Johnson now worried about Courage flying out?
    Why would it be no big deal for Chicago to fly in, but it is when NC has to fly out in this weather?

14. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please provide a quote of where Beau said that there's zero danger in Wilmington. That strikes me as being 180 degree opposite to what Beau said. What he said (naming possible sites for the game), when the hurricane was aiming squarely at Wilmington, was that Raleigh is not Wilmington, Atlanta is not Wilmington, Richmond is not Wilmington and Nashville is not Wilmington.

SiberianThunderT, Beau Dure and sitruc repped this.
  15. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with the first statement and think the second one probably is correct. I sure hope, some time in the future, we'll hear the details of how the decision came about at least from the Courage management. I think they're not talking now because they want to focus on making the best of a bad situation.

16. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because people on twitter like to stir things up. And context matters: the day and time you're flying in/out matters. But it was and is doable for both teams.

sitruc repped this.
  17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What do you think cpthomas, should Chicago have been made to fly into RDU during this time?
    If they were going to play the game on Monday or Tuesday as Andy says, Chicago would have had to fly in at least a day or two ahead, find hotels, etc.

18. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think everyone should chill out about this, let the upcoming games go forward, and wait until we all learn the true facts about what the considerations were and how the decision-makers evaluated them, when those who know decide to release that information.

I also think posters should stop attacking each other. It does nothing positive for women's soccer. Let's give it a rest and, however unhappy the circumstances, have our highest hope for all of the players, whatever team they play for.

If anyone, whether a fan of the Courage or the Red Stars, can manage to get out to Portland by Tuesday, PM me. We have room to house one person (or one couple). I know that's unlikely, but if you can pull it off, we'd love to put you up.

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  19. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Well, according to Twitter, women’s soccer reporters all have unlimited time and money and can fly out to Portland and spend the whole week on five days’ notice.

(Obviously not aimed at you and your kind offer. I’ve obviously just had it with so many people’s inability to see reality.)

sitruc and cpthomas repped this.
  20. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    From weather.com, it 's been raining in Raleigh and the prediction is 100% thru Monday and 40% Tuesday. It may be very windy too.

The field will be wet, I dont see how the game can be played there. What about
    practice?

22. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, stop worrying. It won't be played there.

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You realize they usually water the field right before games to make them wet.

I've shot many games in absolute downpours. And a few practices, too. Rain isn't an issue. Neither is wind. Lightning, standing water, and poor turf condition are the problems. None of those would apply locally.

Sahlen's Stadium has a fully modern top level FIFA grass field that can drain several inches of water in an hour. If the teams were actually here, they could play the game on Sunday. But as I said earlier, I don't think the Courage ever tried to suggest the game be played tomorrow.

But 100% of rain and wind doesn't stop soccer from getting played. Trust me, I know. I'm the guy covered in vinyl, plastic, and rubber on the sideline taking photos in those conditions.

24. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In an effort to turn our attention to the semifinal that's happening first, I've noticed Long and Rapinoe are still listed as questionable. My question (that we probably do not have answers for until we see the lineups): Are there real concerns, or is that just some gamesmanship?

blissett repped this.
  25. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Thorns are expecting the two of them to play.

blissett repped this.