PBP: -The Semis - Discussion - Hurricane, Too

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by CoachJon, Sep 11, 2018.

1. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #26 McSkillz, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    NOoobody is going to NC on a Mon or Tues and watching the dang game, most of those locals are probably going to be concerned about their homes and stuff. You all want this game in the south then fine, I say have it in the west since we don't have stupid weather and one of the teams is going to have to travel there anyways for the final. Also I agree with the whole Chicago thing, whoever is thinking that's a great possibility is sick in the head, NC club deserve better, this league deserves some legitimacy. I don't care about stats and arguments like "oh well, the red stars don't ALWAYS win at home, blah blah blah" what is this? Some kiddie match that doesn't mean anything in the legitimate football World? Give this NC franchise some RESPECT. Please! The decision is either going to be to wait, which means they should move the final forward to be fair.... or move the match to doable neutral pitch.

2. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    or since the track in heading more southward, maybe Philly?

CoachJon repped this.
  3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Durham-ite here. At this point, I'm only expecting random outages as the storm tracks through South Carolina instead. There will be trees down. I expect to not have power on Friday. But unless there is personally a tree on my house, I imagine I'll have cabin fever by Sunday and have no problem getting to the game if it is played on time. Monday shouldn't be a problem at all.

And despite what some folks in Chicago might say, the field at Sahlen's Stadium is maintained at a top FIFA level condition - including drainage. If it's raining a couple inches of water/hour or more, there will likely be standing water at that time. But the field surface should be dry within half an hour, and the subsoil is designed to drain, not turn to mud. As long as nobody is playing on the surface during the storm, the field itself should be fine. Short of a light tower collapsing across the field, everything should be good to go on Sunday or Monday.

Unless Florence changes course again.

I lived through Hurricane Fran in 1996 here, and the December, 2002 ice storm. A few days ago Florence was threatening to put them to shame. Now? Not so much. It'll be a serious storm, and there will be power outages and some flash flooding. But once the storm passes, I don't see the mass "being concerned about homes and stuff" because the storm will have passed and people will deal with the aftermath.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Press Release:

Short version: Game currently on as scheduled, but contingency plans are being discussed.

EDIT: I read this as saying they're hoping that Flo's new track to the south will allow things to proceed as planned.

blissett, lil_one and sitruc repped this.
  5. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Even though the center of the storm is anticipated to head south towards SC and possibly into GA, they still expect Raleigh to get winds up to 60 mph and up to 8 inches of rain.

blissett and CoachJon repped this.
  6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Don't forget the ESPN2 broadcast.

CoachJon repped this.
  7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Arnim said that it would only be fair for NC to play in front of their fans as they deserved it and all Chicago did was offer Toyota Park as an alternative. I don't think anyone in Chicago is "dissing" NC field. They may be just worried about the storm and safety of their players, that's all.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Why is that a reply to my post? :confused:

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Because I wanted to reply. Also, no, it's not a forfeit, Andy. If Dames or his players are not comfortable flying into NC and he isn't compelled to make them in this dangerous situation, than it's on the league.

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This game could have been moved to Orlando or played in Portland if they didn't want Chicago. But to make teams fly into dangerous situations is NOT the right thing to do.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What are you talking about? Who said anything about a forfeit.

Seriously. Why are you clicking the "Quote" button on my posts? Just scroll to the bottom and post your unrelated comments, thanks.

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Twitter

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    First time in history that people from Chicago are scared of steady 25 mph winds and some rain.

They should check the forecast from the National Hurricane Center. I'm from the Great Plains originally. A steady wind for a day and a half with a 4-6" of rain isn't a "dangerous situation" anymore than a big summer thunderboomer in Chicago is.

The forecast has changed in the last two days. Florence isn't coming to Raleigh. It's going to Columbia, South Carolina.

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, maybe this game won't be played after all.

15. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how things could have gone if their was a commissioner elected by the owners to settle disputes like this for the better of the league 18 months and counting

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If Rory doesn't want to make his players go to North Carolina who don't want to, than they have a mess to sort out. I'm sure ESPN or someone has paid for the game to be shown on TV.

It may not be about playing the game in bad weather, it's about traveling/getting there.

17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    From Jonathan Tannenwald's Twitter:

https://twitter.com/thegoalkeeper

18. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    This is a sad situation for the league. No one wants to make a decision. Chicago should refuse to fly in until they change location.

19. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they are sorting out possible options and I'm sure safety of all, including those flying in from Chicago, will be a consideration. They want to have the game in NC if reasonably possible. That makes sense to me.

I don't see them changing the date or time of the other match. Tickets already are sold, plans already are made, etc.

Hopefully, everything works out so that the game can go on, on Sunday, as planned.

CoachJon repped this.
  20. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think it will be dangerous in Raleigh -- but it might be unpleasant, wind, rain, lack of power maybe. .

21. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Technically there was a decision made... The match will continue as scheduled.

Roger Allaway repped this.
  22. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What dispute? Doesn't a dispute require one side saying "We should do this" and another side saying "No, we should do that"? I haven't seen that happening here.

23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    blissett repped this.
  24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club: