The San Francisco USL Expansion Thread

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by Knave, Jul 1, 2017.

1. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the owners of the Dragons are creating a new professional team in USL. They may or may not keep the Dragons in existence.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So the new club will not be called the Dragons? If not, what name and logo do they have in mind?

3. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read the article.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #29 falvo, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Apologies but I can't open the link. Maybe someone can kindly copy and paste the article?

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Said this in another thread, but it's just as relevant here... Here we go again. Double penetration by the two leagues (USL & NASL) into a single market. It will get messy for one or both of them as it invariably does. In this case I guess turnabout is fair play. NASL dropped a team in Orange County, so now USL drops one in San Francisco. Question in both markets, which one will survive?

Given Deltas struggles at the gate, their non-existent marketing, and their shitty stadium, my money is on the USL side. At least they're accessible right off a freeway in a SSS. In OC, same. I see USL being the winner there with the former Blues finally moving into an actual soccer stadium, being marginally more accessible (and removed from competition with the 3 LA proper teams (not to mention affiliated with one of them). And most importantly, having a real local identity unlike the new OC NASL team and their lame branding.

All of which makes me wish the San Diego side was joining USL, not NASL. They're not going to have any California based NASL competitors by 2020.

6. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought there was a San Diego USL group in addition to the NASL bid?

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't look like it. The nacent USL group that was rumored was supposed to announce in March, had a supposed investor whose since moved on to Mexico, their rumored stadium is now in the hands of the NASL side (Torero Stadium), and the last we heard from them was late last year. As they've not been forthcoming and we're 5 months beyond their desired launch date I'm calling vaporware/failed bid.

Plus given the already announced Demba Ba NASL group approached USL themselves before moving on to NASL and were turned down because USL wanted to avoid the market until the MLS bid shook out I'd imagine the same logic applied to any other comers for USL (save maybe the MLS group itself). Remember the NASL group settled for NASL, they didn't want to be in NASL. NASL was their Plan C.

thomas19064 repped this.
  8. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Dragons fold completely. No USL expansion bid. No more PDL. Nothing. Will the Quakes set up a U-23 deal with another PDL team? SF City? The proposed stadium in Burlingame without parking, forcing most attendees to take a shuttle, was bound to fail. Temporary digs at AT&T Park? Kind of out there. Oh well. I had fun supporting the Dragons. Remember the Victory? The Redwood City Ruckus? Shake up the dust bin.

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/earthquakes/quakes-affiliate-folds-withdraws-usl-bid

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, they were ambitious, and a bit crazy, weren't they. Seems they moved off the original plan of a modular stadium in Burlingame and wanted to play at AT&T Park? I mean it's a great location no doubt (one of the best in SF). But even their target of 5,000 fans a game would have been swallowed up in 42,000 seat baseball park. And the cost to rent AT&T could not have been cheap.

Seems a bit TOO ambitious for a USL side. And it's now done them in apparently. Guess that's one knock against the Deltas gone... no new USL competition. Of course they have their own other issues to contend with like losing D2 status, still no fans, still playing at Kezar, etc...

10. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So let me understand, the USL SF group were the Burlingame Dragons owners?

12. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Holy Jeezus, Falvo

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Using the Lord's name? How dare you!

14. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm using "Jeezus" in vain. That's the guy who always takes a penny, but never leaves one, never holds doors open for old ladies, will block a parking lane waiting for a spot that is 30ft from an open one, and is generally an IGMer

Since he sounds like a total douche bag, I don't feel bad

(I pulled all of that out of my ass- :p:p:p:p:p)

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I knew he overthrew the tables of the moneychangers but never thought he took pennies...

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I... what... huh?

Really?

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  19. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Two pages.........packed full of the answers to the questions you ask, over and over.

Hence all the snark.

20. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'd say lock the thread, but with the Deltas likely folding, the illusion of a large, ripe SF market will entice another unlucky soul, ready to throw his money into the krakken pit of minor league bay area sports

21. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to SBI, the Deltas have been confirmed as folding after this year. Came out in the NASL trial today.

matbluvenger repped this.
  22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like. Hopefully NASL and USL have learned a lesson about San Francisco...

Somehow I seriously doubt they have.

matbluvenger and 2in10 repped this.
  23. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The madness never ends ...

942823699299913729 is not a valid tweet id

falvo repped this.
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That didn't take long! Cool! :thumbsup:

25. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note they say, San Francisco Bay Area, not San Francisco. And they don't plan to start until 2021... Maybe, just maybe someone learned something. Like to take some time, market, sell tickets, build a proper venue in a proper location... We can always hope.