"The San Diego Mystery" Guardian article on SD MLS

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by Stogey23, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/12/san-diego-america-soccer-crazy-mls

Skippysasquirrel and Samora repped this.
  2. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stogey23 repped this.
  3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    For me, the takeaway was that

[Xolos] games, at the Estadio Caliente, offer the authentic, spirited football atmosphere that draws many American fans to the sport, and it shows: 20% to 30% of Tijuana’s home gate comes from north of the border, according to front-office estimations – an impressive feat considering that wait times to cross back into the US can reach several hours.
    Interestingly, the article also says that the Xolos have a number of US sponsors who do no business in Mexico. Who would they be?

4. marford21

marford21 Member

May 1, 2007
    SD, OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #4 marford21, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    Most of those 20-30% are coming from the South Bay, since its much easier access to TJ. The lines coming back are shorter if you carry your passport.

Also, Carl's Jr is one of those US sponsors for sure...
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...s0x80d94ba4ad2fdc5f:0x317bda7a03b4de6!6m1!1e1

5. marford21

marford21 Member

May 1, 2007
    SD, OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    San Diego keeps coming up in the media lately... there must be some behind the scenes work going on with MLS expansion that the public doesn't know about yet.

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/09/02/6672713/major-league-soccer-execs-schedule.html

6. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love this to be true, but San Diego has been brought up as a potential MLS city from the beginning of the league. But we do seem to be coming up a lot.

And I did hear a completely unsubstantiated rumor from my co-worker that Xolos were looking to buy Chivas USA and move them to San Diego. So there it is you heard it hear first. :D

7. Gee Yoonit

Gee Yoonit New Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Would also love to have a San Diego team in MLS, although with Chivas being contracted/LA3 slated for '17 and Sactown looking like a lock, I'm not sure how good Daygo's chances are for the next decade, at least.

Moved to LA in '12, so I support the local team. But I'm pretty sure an SD-LA rivalry would be one that might cause many Galaxy and Xolos fans to switch their allegiances, or at least show some partiality to the 619ers. Would love to travel to an away game via the 5/805.

How about the San Diego Flash? Any chance they'll be able to make a move to the big leagues?

8. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see a Champions League match between Tijuana and San Diego. That would be an electric atmosphere I'd imagine.

owian, athletics68 and Gee Yoonit repped this.
  9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not without a major cash infusion. Which likely means no.

Would love to see San Diego make the jump to MLS, but without a new football stadium in place that they could share with the Chargers (or a SSS) and a big money owner it just isn't happening. We'll have to continue to make due with the NPSL Flash, the Xolos and the indoor Sockers. (The latter have an exhibition match this weekend).

Skippysasquirrel and Gee Yoonit repped this.
  10. Gee Yoonit

Gee Yoonit New Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Does anyone know if this means anything?

This would be a super long-shot, but sometimes even goalies score.

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Likely not. Clent makes statements like this from time to time and has been doing so for years. His team is still mired in NPSL and forfeiting USOC games due to lack of field.

12. Gee Yoonit

Gee Yoonit New Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Darnit... Oh, well. I'm glad that the game is growing, at least. Maybe someday we'll have a Division 1 Soccer team in SD:)

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Given MLS' seeming lack of interest in San Diego and the fact they've already got 2 teams in SoCal who they think service the SD market (which shows how little they know), I find it far more likely we'll end up with a D2 or D3 team before D1. Particularly given that D1 costs more to buy in which necessitates an bigger owner/stadium/etc... Only way a D1 capable stadium happens is if the Chargers get their new stadium by some miracle.

Otherwise the only local stadiums are all D2-3 size, even if an owner steps up who wants to start a team at that level. And that's a big if since thus far no owners has stepped up. No owner, no team.

14. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i feel like he tweets stuff like this weekly. it's part of their ploy to get investors.

agreed. but with the lack of attention to and support of the RSL academy possibility in escondido (or oceanside or wherever it was)... i dunno i'm starting to think MLS only mentions SD when they need a list of cities to distract from the city they're actually considering. ("we're looking at a number of markets: minnesota, austin, san diego, NEW YORK CITY, san antonio, detroit...")

Gee Yoonit repped this.
  15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're probably not wrong. Which is fine at this point. If MLS wants to ignore San Diego it'll just allow us to further adopt the Xolos as the local team. I wouldn't be shocked in coming years to see the Xolos request permission to play a game or two over the border, particularly if a new Chargers stadium does open. They want to be a cross border team, and there's no better way to do so then to play on both sides of the border.

16. FreekickSmurf

FreekickSmurf Member

Aug 11, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Beckham I'm all your's!!!

17. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think that is it necessary to create a serious supporter group to try to bring an MLS team in San Diego.

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately supporters groups don't necessarily bring teams to cities, rich owners do. I mean a concerted effort by a fan group to find said rich guy could be helpful, but won't be the definitive thing that makes MLS (or D2 or D3) in San Diego happen.

19. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But can put pressure ( to see The Sons of Ben in Philadelphia )......

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pressure on whom?

21. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    On the MLS, of course.

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does having a fan group put any pressure on MLS?

23. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's the question. volume?

24. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see it and I would be there but the reality is Sons of Ben are the only example of this ever happening (maybe you could argue Portland kind of). While on the other side MLS has gone to multiple markets where the support is iffy but they have an owner, or a big corporate footprint. Also there have been some attempts but I am not aware of any that got beyond a facebook page and discussions at Obrien's.

Personally I think MLS would still love to have a team in San Diego. They know about the ratings for the World Cup, the history, depth of youth soccer, everything else. But there is no owner, and no stadium. It's a catch-22. Any prospective owner would first need to figure out the stadium situation, and at the moment San Diego may be the hardest city in the Country to build a stadium in. And MLS can be picky now. We had our chance in 1999. If 40,000 show up for the All-Star game, Chivas comes to San Diego instead of LA. (can't really blame anyone else considering my ass didn't go either)

25. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #25 Cyclonis, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    MLS Ultras want the tradition and championship class of the San Diego Sockers in MLS. That looks unlikely to happen though as the team is currently playing indoor and the owners have no plans or funds to make the move. I guess in theory, a really resourceful supporter's group could petition prospective owners to buy the team with the intention of making the move to MLS, but it's true.. it has only worked once with the SOBs. Maybe if Beckham's bid in Miami continues to have stadium issues, he could shift gears and start something in San Diego.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]