The RS and the Champions League [R]

Discussion in 'Everton' started by toffeman, Mar 9, 2005.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    It is for that reason we can tell you're not an Everton fan.

There's always something to complain about. :p

2. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I'm confused, seriously. I have no idea what the ******** you're talking about.

3. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Lee Carsley getting robbed of the PFA PoTY award... and the same for Zinedine.

4. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Let's a play a little game and see if anyone notices a pattern.

Manchester United wouldn't care if both them and Man City made Europe, but City fans be extatic if United was out.

Arsenal fans would probably almost smile like an older brother if Tottenham made Europe, but Tottenham fans would be stick their tongues out like an eight year old if Arsenal didn't make it through.

and so on and so on and so on...

Are you guys getting this?? You made it. Be happy with your performance this season and hope for the best in Europe. And for god's sake, stop acting like this is a matter of "principal" and being all high and mighty in regards to the "rules", when every single person here knows that it's simply down the fact that you don't want us in Europe because, for ONCE, you want to be able to completely look down on us the same way the we have on you for so many years.

5. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Dead on, Mark.

Just one thing, however. In that context, it's "principle," not "principal." Just keeping you honest.;)

6. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ...says the MOD trolling the Everton boards. :rolleyes:

7. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Not trolling at all, just responding to less-than-stellar arguments.

8. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Sheesh, by a sixteen year old, even...hahaha. I did know that, though.

9. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Whoa! Let's not get ahead of ourselves. It's only a week.:)

10. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    I think the fact that it's Liverpool in this position is completely irrelevent. I'd have a hard time accepting the fact of UEFA changing the rules to let ANY team in at this point. JD has a valid point. If they want to change the rules, fine. But why should it be retroactive?

All of this has absolutely nothing to do with how ecstatic I am that Everton are in the Champions League in the first place.

11. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    You couldn't be more right. Gloom and doom is part of our identity! :D

12. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF

I'm sorry, but I have a very hard time believing that this would be debated with the same intensity that JD and others have brought forward were it to be Newcastle or Bolton. I mean, c'mon...

13. JD Born 2 B Blue™®

Jun 1, 2005
    Doncaster, UK
    I just dont agree with changing the rules at the end of the season. I am only so passionate about it because I have heard/read so many people trying to justify it.. thats all.

By the way I have quite a few friends who support Liverpool who agree with me on this point. I dont blame you or Liverpool for trying however UEFA need to be strong and stick to the rules.

Ok I will try and answer u r 2 points now.

Would I be so concerned if it was any other team but Liverpool???
    i think I would be, but would I right such a large post? probably not.

What does it matter to me if they let you in instead of some other crummy club?
    Well do I need to answer that? May be I should ask you why you think you should qualify above some other team that has worked hard all season and as per the qualification rules earned ther right to be in the competion??

14. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Well of course it wouldn't be as intense. But the argument would be just as valid.

15. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    It's hardly irrelevant. Do you really think you would be doing this if Udinese were on the bubble because Roma won the CL?

16. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I believe that it wouldn't be here at all...

17. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Well, as I said a minute ago, I wouldn't be as vested in the outcome but I would certainly feel it was unfair. I don't think it's right for UEFA to change the rules AFTER THE FACT. If they wanted to change it so that they didn't have to make this decision in the future, fine.

18. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Because we're the holders of the title itself...and many people, alot of them NOT being Liverpool supporters, believe it as well.

I think the whole debate is far beyond "should Liverpool be treated special" and more like "why didn't think of this situation in the first place".

19. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Of course, the FA website had a thing not to long ago that explained how they would handle this exact situation (as in, whether or not fourth or the CL winner would go), and they switched it around.

20. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, he wasn't.

21. JD Born 2 B Blue™®

Jun 1, 2005
    Doncaster, UK
    This situation has happened before with Real Madrid a few years back and at the time UEFA advised the Spanish FA that 4 was the maximum and the rules couldn't be changed. They advised them the only way Real Madrid could enter would be in place of the 4th place team in Spain who would then drop down to the UEFA cup.

The Spanish FA decided that it would enter Real Madrid and relagate 4th place team into UEFA cup... The FA had same choice and decided to enter the Top 4 teams and not CL holders

How could UEFA decide that this time it should give in to pressure and change the rules?

22. JD Born 2 B Blue™®

Jun 1, 2005
    Doncaster, UK
    The article you are refering to was from the season before. And they did state that they would enter the winners and the 4th place team would drop into UEFA cup... However they also pointed out in a later article that this wasn't an offical policy. This was more of a ******** up by the FA I think..

23. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Indeed. A very big one.

24. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Yes, if not more so.

Roma wasn't even guaranteed of being in Serie A until the penultimate week of the season (not that said fact bothered me all that much).

25. Saviola7

Saviola7 New Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Leiden, NL
    I vote for the playoff with TNS! How fun would that be? So long as Everton keeps their spot, I don't care what happens to 'pool

Of course then you have the danger of bigger clubs effectively buying CL spots from the very small clubs.