The Road to Russia 2018- World Cup Qualifiers [R]

Discussion in 'Australia' started by el-capitano, Apr 14, 2015.

1. hammad_friend

hammad_friend Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Dubai, Karachi
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Waiting for Saudi game against Australia now, even though Australia is clear favorites while Saudis are out-of-form but still anticipating another good game with general expectation of Australia being on top. One of my friend even states that Aussie will cruise 4-0 or 5-0 over Saudis since Saudi players are short in mid-field and the attackers are out-of-form but you never know...

2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Whoever your friend is, isn't a realist. ;) We're a good side, but the conditions even out the playing field. We weren't going to win by that margin away from home, and with the Saudis scoring their well taken two goals, I'm happy with the point.

I'm flabbergasted that Ange waited so long before making subs. Kruse, although good, looked gassed from the 1st minute, and a lot of players were almost walking in the end, and yet he left two subs to only go on with 5 minutes remaining. I didn't understand why he didn't at least make one change a lot earlier. There's no extra time in this one......

3. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Considering the circumstances I'm happy with the result, but yeah I didn't like that the last two subs were brought in late into the game

4. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    News on Japan:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/soccer...h/news-story/803c4a8f407ba96906f8820a57d5597b

5. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Ange on us:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/live-a...n/news-story/da2726999f3a5f03434939aaf5fdfa75

6. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.news.com.au/sport/soccer...d/news-story/1b94dcfcfa4dc0810836fb6dcd5a6b5a

7. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    I also posted this in the Asian forum:

There are a lot of things that make up a good footballer but I must say I've always been impressed with the technical ability of Japanese players to keep the ball in tight spaces, 1v1 attacking situations and the vision/creativity to put a through ball. I don't think our current Socceroos are at that technical quality yet and I'd be very surprised if Japan don't become the first Asian team to win the World Cup, whether that is in 10, 20 or 30 years. That's no disrespect to what's going on in Australia, I think we are headed in the right direction, but no matter the result tonight, I think we are technically very behind the Japanese.

8. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I was at the game tonight. I definitely felt that Japan gave us a hard time and were stronger at times.

I was entertained nonetheless and I'm happy with the 1-1 draw.

el-capitano repped this.
  9. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  10. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  11. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/10/20/thais-confident-hosting-socceroos-bangkok

12. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The rules:

• Clothing for spectators shall be in polite manner with suggested colours such as white, black, grey and preferably with no designs on them.
    • Equipment such as drums, trumpets, flags, megaphones, whistles, cheering sticks and any other equipment will not be allowed to enter the stadium.
    • Spectators are not allowed to show any symbols.
    • Banners will not be allowed to enter the stadium.
    • Fan chants, along with any other activities that are considered joyful, are strictly prohibited both inside the stadium and surrounding areas.
    http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...roos-fans-for-their-next-world-cup-qualifier/

13. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    Talk about being culturally different. I've seen some posts of people raging which is not surprising but we need to respect the custom of others. We expect certain things in Australia that others might find odd so we can't complain.

14. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yep- I'd rather go watch with rules, rather than have the game suspended/moved with all of your travel already locked in!

15. gunitinug

gunitinug Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    guys what date and time and what channel will australia vs thailand match be broadcasted in sydney? thx

16. gunitinug

gunitinug Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    9Go at 10:30 pm tomorrow

el-capitano repped this.
  17. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Thanks- saved me having to look it up! :)

18. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Today's team:

[​IMG]

19. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-1, the game so far is as expected - a thai.....

el-capitano, theFOOTBALLlover and AKITOD repped this.
  20. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Is Aaron Mooy sick? He looks way off the pace to me.

21. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We were terrible last night. What I don't understand is why Ange continues to call up Brad Smith and Robbie Kruse when they are not getting any game time. I feel like Aziz Behich and Alex Gersbach should be given a go instead, since they are playing regularly.

theFOOTBALLlover repped this.
  22. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Goodwin is playing regularly in the Dutch first division too (scoring goals and setting them up). Could even push him further forward to act as a winger (might actually get back and help defenders then ... which Kruse had no interest in).

Mooy was terrible last night ... he was well off his game. Him and Rogic in the same two don't work unless they change up their set up IMO. Luongo sorely missed ... adds run, steel and doesn't mind running at players (which only Burns really did last night).

Degenek isn't a RB either ... Risdon should have got the nod ahead of him.

La Trucha repped this.
  23. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yep- they looked gassed after 10 minutes. I know the conditions weren't the best but, playing regularly will make a difference.

I noted in the Asia thread, the wide men of the front three have to really step up and start scoring. Kruse & Leckie, their scoring record HAS to improve for us to be a threat in the years to come. Looking dangerous is great, but scoring goals is essential.

24. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  25. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    So we'd have a different keeper (which neither are comfortable playing the style required for Australia)

A different left and right back.

The same centre back pairing (although I'd have Wright over Spiranovic) ... Sainsbury actually played in the Chinese Cup on the weekend (so his season isn't over).

In the midfield you'd have Irvine instead of Jedinak (which I wouldn't do ... I think Milligan would be a better bet). Then we would have had Jeggo in there with Mooy (Luongo wasn't available for the Thai game otherwise he probably would have started alongside Mooy).

Up top would have been quite different Burns, Apo and Leckie ...

For me the engine of Luongo was really missing in the midfield (too much space in there for the Thai game). Mooy looked tired ... might have been better to leave him in England to get some R&R??