The Road from Here, Reprise

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by triplet1, Oct 1, 2018.

1. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    It's a fair point, but let's consider how a fanbase for any professional team has historically evolved. It's a term more commonly used in the U.K., but consider the definition of "catchment area", which is generally defined as the area from which a company or institution attracts a population that uses its services.

When professional sports were in their infancy, a team's catchment area was localized -- basically the distance people could walk or easily travel to the ground to watch the games. The result is that sports that professionalized early, soccer and baseball included, had a lot of clubs representing highly localized populations, including specific neighborhoods and institutions. If there was a sufficient population with enough money and enthusiasm in the catchment area to support a team, there was a team to serve that demand.

As transportation improved, an ambitious team could expand its catchment area beyond its previously local confines, but given the demands of travel fans got more picky. Good teams were better able to extend their catchment area than bad teams. "Big" clubs were born.

Radio provided teams with the opportunity to expand their catchment area to a much larger region, but for the most part each team had to cut its own deals which favored the bigger clubs. Television followed this pattern early on too. As a result, in the NFL, by 1959, the Bears and Giants had all their games on television, but teams like the Packers did not, resulting in a huge disparity in broadcast revenue prior to the advent of revenue sharing.

The era of shared revenue and league negotiated and controlled broadcast deals allowed some teams to develop a super regional and even national catchment area -- to this day, the Cowboys even use the slogan, "America's Team." But since the pie was divided equally, it wasn't critical if any particular team expanded its catchment area to a national level as long as the league's broadcasts found a national audience. That's the model MLS is using.

With streaming, it's now possible for a team to have a truly global catchment area without the league brokering the broadcast deals and divvying up the cash with other members. They can go directly to their fans. It's the 1950s on steroids. That's where I think we are heading.

The problem with a global, digital market is how do you stand out in the clutter of hundreds of competitors? Obviously, for the big teams that already have a well known brand, they have a massive advantage as this moves to streaming. For the others, as the league brokered cable deals are supplanted by streaming, they will have to rely on customers who know them, meaning it will be more regional or local audience.

It's back to the future.

2. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In the US model everyone was equal. In the Euro model some are more equal than others, but the same reasoning applies.
    I do think this is a a case of back to the future. And in the case of MLS, that isn't a bad thing because they never really gathered that much from the current boom.
    In the end, MLS clubs will each be looking to replace $4M-$5m a season in TV revenue to remain on an even financial footing. That actually is do-able. Far more do-able than for mid to lower table English and German clubs to replace $60m to $140m a year if they stop being buouyed up by the desireable clubs.
    When the footie world divides into a few giants and lots of hobbits, there will be some streaming revenue for MLS clubs (not much, but they aren't replacing much). But if news, for example, is an example, they will also cut expenses. You can do this is soccer and remain vital if you go young and exciting, and sell off top players, while keep around the next tier who will become fan favorites but won't have the market value to raise league wages. When MLS is competing with high paying English Championship, Johnny Russell costs a million plus a year. When the Championship, which faces huge problems in the coming shakeout, is no longer paying above the odds, his market value drops, quite a bit.
    An example of both potential and problems for MLS: I am a global MLS consumer. I watch from Germany, on Eurosport's streaming service. Eurosport's 360 package delivers all MLS games live, though only one of two a week on demand.
    That said, while they make it availbe to a continental european audience, they put nothing into the production of most games. they use a feed from MLS, games are shown with live sound, no commentary. The platform only offers a MLS program listing about an hour before gametime. Games are shown live, so it's an insomniacs party. Their platform works with 20 streams, and the offerings on each one at any time at identified by a clickable match (race, whatever) icon on that station. The MLS icons have not been right a single time this summer. You have to click through all 20 stations to find what you want to see if it's a particular match. The league sends through a couple graphics during the broadcast, but there are no others offered and outside of the game of the week, as noted, no commentary. There are no ads sold during halftime, so we watch an empty field for 15 minutes.
    Now, the point: MLS could have opted to sell it's an MLS live package overseas. They have the technical ability, and really, matching this production level is not that difficult. But they saw an advantage is selling the rights to Eurosport. Now, I very much doubt there's much money in this, but that's the point.

3. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    Early days, but I think this is the post of the thread so far, and you expand it well in your most recent post. The question -- the elephant in the room really -- is will this be good enough? Not for MLS to survive, but for the investors and fans and aspiring players? Clearly, MLS has been a niche league to date, but I'm not sure investors assumed it would always be so. That's going to be the first in a series of challenges IMO -- investor expectations. In the future MLS you (I think accurately) describe, the fanbase may not grow much, but I agree there are enough fans already who accept the league for what it is, and players willing to play for these wages, that MLS can keep the lights on. Whether that's enough financial upside for investors to continue to plunk down three hundred million dollars for a team, as Minnesota United has done (between the expansion fee and the stadium costs) is another matter.

But if you're right and the future holds slower growth for MLS (perhaps much slower growth, because I don't think replacing this broadcast revenue is going to be easy), even if that's not what owners had in mind, can they do anything about it?

I pulled out Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski's Soccernomics the other day, which I read many years ago and re-read several chapters. Now, in the past I've pushed back pretty hard here against some of Szymanski's views on MLS -- honestly I think he didn't fully factor how SUM works -- but I think he and Kuper had it right as to where the game is headed. In the chapter, "The Suburban News Agents", Kuper and Szymanski (applying Zipf's law) note that in soccer "giants are rare." So, if digital does create giants -- again I agree with you here -- it's likely there won't be many giants in the world of soccer. They argue the biggest provincial clubs have strong enough brands to remain atop European (and world) football and stay in the game, but clubs from the biggest cities, London, Paris, Moscow, will challenge them for financial supremacy.

Their argument is straightforward: when the game was young, it mattered a lot more in provincial towns than in the largest European capitals or larger economic centers. The best of the provincial clubs, the Bayerns and Barcas of the world, got a big head start and have cemented that advantage. In a free market, however, Kuper and Szymanski argue that money will increasingly flow to the giant, cosmopolitan cities that have the population, wealth and appeal (to investors and players) needed to sustain super clubs. In short, giants beget giants.

Kuper and Szymanski wrote that a dozen years ago in 2006. There are some notable exceptions, provincial clubs like Manchester City that saw the trend early and invested huge sums of money have made the jump, while political considerations may have slowed clubs down in Moscow and Istanbul, but still there is considerable evidence that the clubs from London and PSG are rising, while some of the former provincial giants like the Milan clubs are fading. In the most recent Deloitte "Money League" rankings, while familiar faces continue to dominate the top five slots, three London clubs and PSG occupy slots 6 through 11.

Put aside the league and teams in its current configuration, does the United States have world class cities that meet that description: giant, wealthy, cosmopolitan places? New York and Los Angeles certainly are. A decent case can be made for a handful of other places as well, including Washington DC, Miami, and Chicago.

If the basic building blocks are here, and streaming provides the global revenue needed, why should this be impossible? I would argue only because MLS' vision is limited by it's current structure -- too much of the discussion is how to tweak the present configuration, which simply won't work if the teams aren't in the right places.

But if we start with a clean sheet of paper, is this possible? Set aside what MLS is for the moment, and ask how many giant teams could the United States support? Answer that question, and I think we'll see where the path starts.

mschofield repped this.
  4. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    #29 triplet1, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    If Kuper and Szymanski are correct, it stands to reason that we should see big, successful provincial clubs and clubs from bigger European capitals (London, Paris, Moscow and Istanbul) start to pull away from the pack. If that holds in the digital world, I wondered if social media might already provide some clues.

In the most recent UEFA benchmarking report (which you can download at the UEFA website: https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/pro...-financial-fair-play/news/newsid=2435355.html ) there is an interesting discussion about how the top European clubs fare in social media presence on pages 16 - 18. The top European clubs are ranked by combined Facebook and Twitter popularity on page 16. The list isn't all that surprising, with Real Madrid, Barca and ManU at the top of the list, with followers that far exceed clubs like Dortmund, Schalke 04 or Marseille.

Business Insider looked at these social media figures and compared them to the top 20 teams in the Deloitte Money league here:

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-20-most-popular-rich-list-football-teams-on-social-media-2018-8

If you look at the numbers in the Business Insider report, 20th ranked Schalke 04, which hovers around 15h on the Money League list the past couple of years, has 3.6 million combined followers on Facebook and Twitter (with another 500k on Instagram), while top ranked Real Madrid has 139.9 million combined followers on Facebook and Twitter (with another 62 million on Instagram.) There is a huge disparity from high to low, but, again, that disparity exists in the Money League too, as the revenue of the big clubs at the top of the list is growing much faster.

Still, the most popular club websites might provide some foreshadowing of what Kuper and Szymanski suggest -- you'll find that list on page 18 of the UEFA report. Again, Real Madid is first, but ManU is second, followed by Liverpool, Arsenal, Barca, Chelsea, PSG, Man City, Fenerbahce and Bayern. That's a bit different. Fenerbache is about a dozen places higher than it places in the Money League list, while Bayern is quite a bit lower. Scan further down the list, and you'll see Zenit in 13th, Galatasaray in 19th and Spartak Moscow in 21st. UEFA's list has Schalke in 25th based on website traffic.

It certainly looks like the big clubs are well poised to transfer their advantages into the digital world, but for those in that next tier, membership in that group may be more fluid they we suppose -- favoring clubs from really big cities, just as Kuper and Szymanski suggest.

Now let's compare MLS:

Here's the most recent social media data I could find, but if someone has something more recent, by all means post it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/5zs15g/ranking_mls_clubs_by_social_media_presence/

NYCFC has the highest combined following on Facebook and Twitter at 2.6 million, followed by the Galaxy at 2.2 million, Seattle at 1.1 million, and the Red Bulls and Orlando City at 950k. LAFC and Minnesota are at the bottom, although they are newer. Of the more mature teams, Philly is low at 276k.

Here are the bottom five of the top 20 European clubs from the Business Insider report I quoted from above (again, Facebook and Twitter only): Schalke 04 at 3.6 million, West Ham United at 3.7 million, Southampton at 4.1 million, Everton at 4.7 million, and Napoli at 5.5 million. Those five clubs also occupy positions 16 - 20 in the most recent Deloitte Money league, representing their world revenue ranking. And all of them get a large portion of their revenue from broadcast income.

Think about the opportunity here for a moment. If the battle is fought on league negotiated broadcast deals, you can forget it -- no MLS team can ever catch even the bottom tier of the Rich List clubs. But in the digital world where those streams can be marketed to fans by the teams themselves? Social media following suggests that the top MLS teams aren't that far away from some of the biggest clubs in the world even now. Add some of the hugely popular players who have followings that exceed many clubs -- see page 16 of the UEFA report -- and that doesn't seem out of reach for those top MLS teams.

Think of it this way, MLS gets, what, maybe $3 million or so per team from national broadcast revenue. If those MLS teams with large social media followings can get one million fans to pay $25 a year to follow the games and the team, that's $25 million per team.

Yes it will be disruptive, but digital is potentially the great leveler for some MLS teams -- those prepared to compete globally. And there's the rub. Many MLS teams barely have a digital pulse. What represents a fair share? Keep in mind, while MLS shares national TV money brokered by SUM equally, teams keep local broadcast money all to themselves.

So what happens with streaming revenue?

Again, for a handful of MLS teams, it might provide a path forward. Yes, the broadcast dollars may stagnate worldwide as cord cutting and digital streaming intensifies, but that will only serve to bring the Evertons and Southamptons of the world back to the biggest MLS teams. It moves the battle to a field where MLS may have a better chance to compete.

Will the few that might have a realistic chance give it up to stay with the others?

We'll see.

ceezmad and mschofield repped this.
  5. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    #30 triplet1, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Expanding on the social media data, here is a link to the 2018 Global Digital Football Benchmark from Results Sports:

http://digitale-sport-medien.com/global-digital-football-benchmark-summer-2018/

The Galaxy are 74th in the world rankings with 3.75 million followers. Other MLS teams include NYCFC in 79th with 3.27 million followers, Seattle at 129 with 1.8 million, Orlando at 159 with 1.4 million and NY Red Bulls at 161 with 1.38 million. Sporting KC and TFC also made the list at 178 and 181, respectively.

To frame this, Money League teams like Napoli are 39th at 6.94 million, Schalke 04 are 45th at 5.85 million, Everton 48th at 5.72 million, West Ham are 60th with 4.6 million, Southampton 64th at 4.56 million. Compare that to Liga MX clubs like Club America in 20th at 16.3 million, Chivas in 29th at 11.7 million, Cruz Azul in 41st at 6.3 million, Pumas in 49th at 5.5 million, Tigres in 62nd spot at 4.6 million and Monterrey in 68th place at 4 million.

The difference, of course, is the huge disparity in broadcast revenue the European clubs receive. Schalke 04 made 230 million Euros in 2017, 82 million (36%) of that from broadcast revenue. Everton is even more dependent on broadcast revenue -- 76% of it's nearly 200 million Euro income in 2017 came from broadcast revenue.

But if the value of these broadcast deals does start to fade and streaming replaces those dollars where fans purchase individual games or team subscriptions, that huge gap in broadcast revenue potentially starts to close. Even with differences in per capita income, there are a lot more Club America fans than Southampton fans.

And here's the chance for some MLS teams IMO. The Galaxy and NYCFC already have more followers on social media than Sevilla, Fiorentina, Stoke City, Celtic, Borussia Mochengladbach, Hamburger SV -- and many others. In a streaming world, why can't they compete?

Here's where being an attractive place to play could make a huge difference. Ronaldo's signing had a huge impact on Juve's social media numbers, increasing the number of followers by a whopping 6 million in a month.

https://www.rt.com/sport/437526-ronaldo-social-media-juventus-madrid/

DP signings suggest LA and NYC can attract big name players.

Again, the league's structure would have to change, but 30 clubs in the world have at least 10 million followers across social media platforms. I'm not sure MLS can't have a some teams that can do as well. It would give those teams a huge leg up in generating streaming broadcast revenues.

ceezmad repped this.
  6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #31 EvanJ, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    It won't be a sudden jump from MLS having many potential fans say it's not good enough to not having anybody say that. It will be gradual. MLS can improve a lot without being the top league in the world. If MLS improved to tenth in the world, wouldn't that attract more fans? I wasn't trying to criticize MLS. I was saying that some people won't watch MLS because it's not good enough. Businesses succeed by pleasing actual and potential viewers/customers/clients/etc. even if the business disagrees with what people want.

I agree that budgets are what matters and that fewer clubs would mean fewer clubs in the top half. When MLS had 16 clubs, it didn't have the club with the highest attendance now, Atlanta. The average 2018 attendance for clubs that existed when MLS had 16 clubs is 19,472, and the average for clubs that started after that is 25,690, which is 31.9% higher. I might want MLS to expand a little slower and see how revenue is affected by 2 or 3 new clubs before expanding more, but I don't want MLS to have fewer clubs to try making each club better.

No matter how much recognition they get from club games, do you think the best players wouldn't want a chance to win the World Cup? What percent of Europeans who watch at least one European soccer league regularly know about a league in any sport subdivided into conferences? What percent of Europeans know about that and like that idea? I'm excluding leagues breaking into groups late in the season and I'm excluding many leagues at the same level, which is normal farther down. The World Cup is for pride and achievement. It's not like the World Cup only exists because of how much money it makes. Furthermore, how would you like to manage the Spanish national team against Sweden with Spain not being allowed to use players on Super League clubs and Sweden not having many players on those clubs. Spain wouldn't be able to use players on Barcelona, Real Madrid, and Atletico Madrid. Spain would also be without de Gea on Manchester United and Fabregas and Pedro on Chelsea. Spain used 15 players in their last World Cup game, which had a fourth sub in extra time. Every player was on a club that would be in the Super League except for Rodrigo Moreno on Valencia (possibly in a Super League) and Iago Aspas of Celta Vigo. Those two were Spain's last subs. Sweden has Victor Lindelof on Manchester United, but Spain has many players better than Lindelof. Of the 14 players Sweden used in their last World Cup game, Lindelof and Emil Forsberg of Red Bull Leipzig were the only players on possible Super League clubs.

7. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    I think 2018 will be remembered for two important events that occurred in the English Premier League which may finally trigger the long anticipated European Super League.

First, the domestic broadcast rights auction fell short of expectations, causing the revenues to actually decline from the previous deal.

Notable to our discussion here, in the run up to the auction, there were reports either Facebook, Google or Amazon might launch a large bid to stream the games and thereby drive up the price, but that did not materialize. Goal noted, “Sky won four of the five packages awarded, with rival BT securing just one . . . Two more packages – designed primarily for online content providers – were unsold amid reports they failed to meet the Premier League’s minimum price. There was no great play on the part of Amazon or Facebook and it’s left the league, and therefore the clubs, someway short of the sums they’ve gotten used to.”

Amazon did buy a package later, but it was for only 20 games and is regarded as modest.

As a result, for the first time in a long time, the Premier League will see its domestic broadcast revenue fall from the dizzinging heights that only three years earlier propelled many of its clubs into the Deloitte Money League.

The website Goal continued, “The 2019-2022 cycle has gone for about £1.5 billion per annum for 160 games,” says Sam Boor, a consultant in Deloitte’s Sports Business Group. “The previous cycle was for 168 games and it went for £1.7bn. That means the current cycle just went for £9.3 million per match as opposed to £10.2m per match.”

That’s still a huge amount of money, but even in the EPL the shortfall must be dealt with. To make up the difference, Goal noted, "‘clubs will now have to look elsewhere to make up the shortfall and it is likely that overseas broadcast rights will become the next major battleground for revenues.”

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/uk-premier-league-money-drying-up-and-overseas-broadcasters/1o9jxjqmksfzg1mok462gnlslj

Second, with more pressure to make up lost revenue falling on getting more for the overseas broadcast rights, in June the “Big Six” clubs in the Premier League succeeded in changing the allocation of the international broadcast money.

Instead of the money being divided in equal shares, under the new deal the big six will get a larger slice of the pie. Talksport explained, “The domestic TV cash has always been distributed on a meritocratic basis, depending on where clubs finish in the league but proceeds from foreign broadcasters have been shared equally since 1992. In recent years, however, the league’s top clubs – Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham – have argued they should get more of the overseas income as they are the clubs foreign fans want to watch.”

It could have been worse for the smaller clubs – only the “new money” from the international deals will be allocated differently. For the new deal, the big six will get a larger share of only the revenue that exceeds the levels of the previous deal, but the trend seems clear enough.

https://talksport.com/football/380360/premier-leagues-big-six-win-fight-secure-larger-share-overseas-tv-rights-180607285533/

Even that may not be enough to placate the big clubs of the Premier League for long because if the global audience is where the revenue growth is, why share that money with clubs that have limited global appeal? With much of the future growth in broadcast rights likely to come from overseas, the imputes for the Big Six to leave the EPL is growing.

In May, 2018, nearing the end of his career at Arsenal, Arsene Wenger told the Guardian that the long predicted European Super League was now inevitable in his opinion. The Guardian reported, “Wenger, who is impeccably connected at Fifa and Uefa, described the change as “inevitable” because the big clubs will no longer want to share broadcast revenues with the smaller ones, whom fewer fans are keen to watch.

He claimed that audiences were down for midweek Champions League ties and a move to glamour European fixtures at weekends under a new format would be attractive. Elite-level clubs in mainland Europe, he added, would be receptive to the Super League because it would enable them to attack the financial dominance of the Premier League.

Wenger said:

“It is inevitable. Why? First of all, to share money between the big clubs and small clubs will become a problem. Why? Because the big clubs will say that if two smaller clubs are playing each other nobody wants to watch it. People want to watch quality. The big clubs say: ‘So we have to share the money but nobody is interested in you?’

“The Premier League will get smaller. If you want to make it more attractive, you have to go down to 16 and make a real competition of it. But it will be smaller if it goes to Europe.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/10/arsene-wenger-european-super-league-premier-league-arsenal

I think there are three learning points that may be relevant for MLS:

First, even for the most lucrative deals, the revenue generated from conventional broadcast deals limited to domestic audiences may have peaked;

Second, digital providers may not replicate the structure of the broadcast deals – there is no real evidence the digital audience is willing to pay a huge amount for a large number of games. Instead, the digital audience seems to prefer a more customized menu limited to the clubs and games they want to watch on their choice of platforms, which puts a premium on “big games”, but probably decreases the value of others.

Third, as the audience for games becomes global, the desire to share revenue with, and even participate in the same league with weaker domestic partners with no international appeal has limited value to big clubs.

mschofield repped this.
  8. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    In the here to there thread, I suggested a top 5 league wasn't completely out of the picture (I specifically wrote of the issues Italy was facing). Many wrote that off as absurd. To be fair, since that time the leagues stature has increase much faster than I had imagined. In terms of the digital world, MLS focused a lot of resources there from the get go

Look where Ibra decided to play. Could have got a lot more money elsewhere. He's far from the only player that came on a discount. Green cards and citizenship, nice environment, big ethnic communities are all very attractive.

Coaches are coming too. Tata Martino in Atlanta - a club that didn't exist when you started your last thread nor one that many people thought would be successful. Even more surprising than Martino, Matias Almeyda went from Chivas, one of Mexico's most popular teams which is 29th on your list to San Jose, a place considered to be near the dregs for many MLS fans. As these players continue to come to the league so will followers. LAFC barely has a half million. Let's see how that changes next year. Imagine what that team in Miami might do, if it ever gets going.

Europe is clearly the pinnacle of soccer in the world. However, I think it might be better to be the top dog in the Americas than than outside the super league in Europe. When a Super League does come to pass, I could see MLS merging with Mexico to create a North American super league.

mschofield repped this.
  9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A couple points in MLS favor. A great deal of football support is bandwagon, people find joy in backing the biggest teams, though they want them to win, but a lot of support is tribal.
    Also, even for mega clubs, leagues are essential. ManU needs someone to play. There are travel limitations on a league setup, and MLS is pretty close to pushing those as it is. I do think that right now even we are seeing Liga MX and MLS taking baby steps towards a merger of some sort, but Jeebus that would be a league with a lot of 2500 mile plus one way travel (in addition to east coast - west coast, a bunch of journeys south. It's an interesting idea, but I also would imply that MLS needs to stop expansion and probably consolidate.
    But it simply is not possible to create a league in which BMunch plays LA. or Club America or Seattle on a regular schedule. I'd add Chicago in that, and really, NY is very much pushing and probably over the line.
    Also, regarding the streaming potential, what is it now? ESPN's streaming service is at 1 milloin right now, but that includes everything offered on ESPN plus, and I can't image MLS is driving that. In the last couple years of the standalone MLSlive, they talked about increases of 60 percent in both 2015 and 2016 in year over year, which implies really low numbers to start with (either that, or everyone in the US signed on).
    Still, I would hope, in a world without options, that in a 28 team league, there would be a potential for 36k subscribers per club at $25 a pop. I very much like the pricepoint, but would note that it's been established at $60 a year, which would mean that for league streaming revenue to reach $25m, they'd need 14k per club.
    Question on social media: Is there an established sporting club monetary value per follower? What is the potential topside on turning social media followers (free) into subsribers (paid).
    We had a number of .07 cents per Twitter follower, .3 per facebook, etc. Then we actually ran the numbers and Twitter was closer to 0.00000000 and facebook wasn't much better.
    There should be numbers on this, as the super clubs with the super followings also offer their own "TV networks" which kind of but not quite equates to their stream (no live matches that I know of).

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American leagues have geographic divisions and conferences for a reason. I would hate for the Red Bulls to be in the same league as Mexican clubs even if it was only 5 away games per year. Combining countries could make it less attractive for foreigners who don't know English or Spanish because they would need to learn at least a limited amount of two languages. From Liga MX's point of view, wouldn't some players not like the cold weather in the northern USA? There would have to be an agreement for how many seasons per year because Liga MX has two.

oknazevad and mschofield repped this.
  11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And then there's this

triplet1 repped this.
  12. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Best thread ever.

On a cell phone so I'll keep it short.

IMO, If MLS wants to gain a larger market share of US Soccer fans, it has two choices.

Cap expansion sooner than later and figure out how to let their elite clubs spread their wings. (Ala digital era UEFA blue bloods)

Or

Embrace regionalism and foster greater ties with more and more local clubs (Like NCAA conference basketball)

Either way the low cost model they've done has taken them as far as I think they can.

triplet1 repped this.
  13. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Agree. The tribal support is a big reason why I think being king of the region matters.

ManU and their ilk already have a league. The challenge is going to be how they disengage themselves from all the games against the many provincial teams in the EPL. Perhaps the way to bridge the gap is expand the Champions League schedule and reduce the amount of games against the filler in the EPL to the point where the Mega clubs participation their country leagues is more like the champions league knockout tournament while the CL games make up the meat of their schedule.

Of course fans from the many Watfords, Burnley's, Brightons, Betis, Levante around the world aren't going to let this happen without a fight. The period of disruption provides MLS an opportunity to make even bigger gains. It also will provide the cover/basis needed to create a top tier in North America. Or perhaps this instead causes the youth of the world to rapidly accelerate their attention to the video game world such that physically live soccer rapidly diminishes in importance. So instead of bigsoccer waxing about the days of Atlanta, 2018 will instead be noted for Garber's prescient decision to start building esport teams.

mschofield repped this.
  14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The problem with the fight that the Watford's and Levantes and, really, the Herthas but certainly the Inglostadt's will wage is that the money that is making them flush is coming in because of the ManUs and RMads and Bmunchs.
    Looking at the stumbles of the big clubs this year, I think it is obvious that a little bit of shared wealth does give smaller clubs chance against the giants. But do the giants like that? Does Prem or La Liga viewership increase when LCity beats the teams that fans want to support in India, China, Iraq, South Africa and on and on? We all know that a less talented but tactically perfect and hard working side can give fits to an elitely talented side. But does that sell online subscriptions?
    Remember the Monty Python skit of the boxer versus the little school girl? You expect the twist, expect the little girl to knock out the boxer, but he just beats the crap out of her? That fight is this looming fight. The Watfords might wage it, but they hold no power beyond bringing up things like tradition and right and the like. Watford cannot bring a global audience to the bargaining table, except when they are playing against the Super Powers. At some point, the Super Powers will decide in favor of the financial advantages of not sharing that wealth with the Watfords, and 12 other similar clubs, but of keeping it all to themselves, especially as traditional media contracts dwindle, and the allure of the Super Club streaming wealth beckons.

triplet1 repped this.
  15. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    #40 triplet1, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Thanks for the kind words and welcome to the conversation.

I'm continually impressed by the quality of some of the posts on Big Soccer. At its best, this is a thoughtful, smart, diverse group of people who care passionately about the game and MLS.

I've spoken a bit about my background before on Big Soccer and in this thread only because it's relevant for what I hope this thread can achieve. Twenty five years ago, I practiced corporate law at one of the country's great national law firms, but these days much of my time is spent as a director on a couple of corporate boards for some very successful organizations run by very capable management teams. Like more organizations, periodically we get away from the business and we have a strategic planning session. We look at data, we look at trends, we pull threads and we talk -- we talk a lot -- in an attempt to refine plan and pick the path. Its a challenging process occasionally filled with disagreements, sometimes passionate ones, but the idea is to try and figure out the best way forward.

When it works, a strategic planning discussion can be very rewarding, forging a better understanding of what confronts us and what lies ahead. I would like to replicate that process here -- a virtual strategic planning discussion with a number of smart people who want to see this work. So I urge you all to keep the good stuff coming.

Like the first rendition of this thread, I hope people both enjoy it and find it thought provoking.

mschofield repped this.
  16. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    Boom!

It is worth quoting:

"ESPN reported on Wednesday the comments of Liga MX president Enrique Bonilla, who spoke of the possibility of a combined North American league between Canada, the United States and Mexico arising from the 2026 World Cup, to be held jointly in the three countries.

It's a possibility, a North American league," Bonilla told reporters at the Leaders summit at Chelsea's Stamford Bridge stadium, as quoted in the report. "We have to determine how and see the pros and cons, but I think that's a way to grow and to compete again.

If we can make a World Cup then we can make a North American league or a North American cup. The main idea is that we have to grow together to compete. If not, there is only going to be the rich guys in Europe and the rest of the world."

And that's on the MLS website.

During this time of sweeping change, the best and brightest (and, yes, most expensive) consultants are admonishing management and boards that the most dangerous course of action right now is to do nothing. Status quo. That's counter intuitive, I know, but their point is that we are in a period of sea change and the decisions made now will likely determine an organization's future. In other words, the battle won't be won today, but it can be lost.

For those who say steady on, I would encourage you to read Bonilla's words again: we have to grow together to compete. If not, there is only going to be the rich guys in Europe and the rest of the world.

Fortune favors the bold.

deejay and When Saturday Comes repped this.
  17. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    #42 triplet1, Oct 11, 2018
    Good stuff. But I also think we need to note much of this is probably defensive -- teams are going to have to look at streaming because they don't really have a choice. I'd use banking as an analogy. The industry has thousands of drive up branches that are effectively being replaced by mobile devices. Millions of dollars of real estate and tens of thousands of people are dedicated to those branches which are now being repurposed or closed. It's both painful and expensive. Trust me, no one looked at this data early on and said, "wow, this will be fun, a huge portion of the business may be obsolete!" But what the banks wanted soon didn't matter, because customers are making their preference clear -- they want the convenience of mobile over driving over to a branch drive up.

With that, consider what's going on with ESPN and other cable channels dedicated to live sports. By using bundles -- tiers -- ESPN has made a fortune off of subscribers who have no interest in the channel at all.

Cass Anderson wrote this in a column last year:

"Given that 53% of pay TV subscribers don’t care if they have ESPN or other live sports channels, that means 46,294,970 of ESPN/ESPN2’s subscribers don’t really want the channels. At $8.11 per subscriber, that’s $375,452,207 people are shelling out every single month despite not wanting those channels. That’s $4.5 billion a year!"

https://brobible.com/sports/article/espn-earning-billions-cable-bundling-scam/

Give people choice, and they are going to figure out how to save that money. Skinny bundles and streaming are opportunities to do that. Yes, ESPN offers ESPN plus, but that's not going to recapture the millions of subscribers that didn't want ESPN in the first place. That's how ESPN lost 13 million subscribers in six years.

https://www.businessinsider.com/espn-losing-subscribers-not-ratings-viewers-2017-9

For the cable sports channels like ESPN, billions of dollars are at risk, and probably are lost. Dollars that fund sports broadcast deals. Now, it's true, if you read the Business Insider article linked above, for those subscribers that remain, they appear willing to pay more for the channel. Still, I am not persuaded that's going to work out as that Business Insider article suggests. Rather, for those who do want ESPN, I suspect they too don't want all of it. The data suggests digital viewers want more customized options. They want specific teams in specific sports, they don't want to pay for this "bloated buffet" of games that ESPN buys to provide content for all these channels. Increasingly, as you note, they don't even want the entire game, just highlights and maybe the big, special games.

https://www.wazeedigital.com/blog/followers-and-fans-evolution-sports-consumption-digital-age

So ask yourselves this, whether the broadcasters and leagues like it or not, if we are moving into a world where fans can pick and must pay for what they want to watch, would fans rather buy every MLS game, or just the games for the teams they follow?

I'm betting most will chose to buy games for specific teams, perhaps with some option to buy selected "big" national games. That changes everything. Much like the drive up bank, digital is going to radically alter the cable channel model of sports broadcasting -- and what those broadcasters can and will pay for these games.

Again, this is back to the future. In 1961, Congress passed the Sports Broadcasting Act allowing "pooling" of broadcast rights by all the teams in a league under a single contract with a broadcaster -- a practice that previously had been ruled to be a violation of the antitrust laws. Prior to that, individual teams marketed their own games, both on radio and television.

I think we are headed back to where we started, not with leagues marketing a big bundle of games for all of the teams, but with individual teams selling their games and their games alone to their fans. Games that will be streamed. The only difference is that this time, it isn't the antitrust laws that compel that result, it's going to be the consumers who do.

Once the teams accept the fact that there really is no choice, they will start to see opportunities. Chances to compete in larger territories and offer services that were not practical before. To go from defense to offense.

And then it will get really interesting.

mschofield repped this.
  18. flange

flange Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see this happening with MLS, but I imagine it will look like what the NBA is doing with League Pass, where the whole league is $200, any team is $120, and any game is $7. I also wouldn't be surprised if it included at least *some* revenue sharing, much like ticket revenue is currently. I just don't see how you get all the small market teams on board otherwise.

19. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    #44 triplet1, Oct 11, 2018
    Agreed. Unless you don't care if you do.

It's been interesting to see the reaction of some MLS fans' to the floated merger with Liga MX; a common theme is that they would rather watch games between MLS clubs. Looking at those Digital Football Rankings again where Club America has the 20th largest number of followers of any soccer team in the world, one of six Liga MX clubs have a larger number of MLS followers than the two largest MLS teams (the Galaxy and NYCFC), and they clearly have a lot larger following (even in the US) than MLS. So, respectfully, I'm not sure the preferences of those fans of smaller MLS clubs that don't even register on the digital rankings are going to be that important.

The more probative question is probably what MLS teams do the fans of those big Mexican clubs want to watch? I wouldn't assume a merger means everyone gets a chair.

20. flange

flange Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ambitious owners in MLS struggle to raise the salary budget and there are rumors of the 3rd DP slot going away. How are they going to get something like what you suggest done, when that would likely be catastrophic for everyone else? I'm not following how any single MLS owner can just not care what other MLS owners think, given the league's ownership structure.

Edited to fix a typo.

SilentAssassin and JasonMa repped this.
  21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This is an interesting question, and the answer probably isn't what we assume it would be. Far better fit for the west and Cali, far worse fit with the NEast. Overall, Liga MX is a better league. but (and I wasn't expecting this) it trails MLS in revenue per club, and overall, as well as per this, in player spending:
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/675120/average-sports-salaries-by-league/
    Okay, no idea why that doesn't seem to hypertext. Still, they'd be fairly equal partners.
    A single 20 team league would be brutal. But it could end up being some odd mix, with only the weakest MLS clubs and Liga MX clubs shuffled off (though in a Mexican fan interest setting, Denver and Houston probably create more interest than Seattle and Boston). Maybe a Southern and a Northern division, with Cali and Texas teams bunched in with the Mex. Who knows, but 2026 isn't that far off, and if it is being talked about publically, there have almost certainly been backroom discussions going on for a while.
    Still, while there are unknowables aplenty, i think one major item can be safely assumed: Single entity will not make it through a merger.
    Another interesting takeaway from this revelation: This is what football leagues are talking about right now. So it's more than just this thread.

22. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    #47 triplet1, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    I think this is where the structure of MLS probably makes this realignment easier, not harder to achieve. Let me explain.

First, let's call MLS what it is, a corporation. The corporation, not individual owners, owns 100% of each and every "team." The corporation is also an affiliate of another corporation, Soccer United Marketing (meaning they have shareholders in common). And the obligation of every director and every management team of every corporation is to enhance shareholder value.

So the relevant question is, does some combination with Liga MX involving some, but not all of the corporation's teams enhance MLS and SUM shareholder value? Is the stock worth more? Are the dividends higher?

To dig into that deeper, let's consider what this "merger" would really be. I think the combination would actually be a "joint venture" between the corporation (MLS) and several other corporations (the Liga MX clubs), that is to say, it would be a business arrangement in which two or more parties agree to pool their resources for the purpose of accomplishing a specific task while retaining their separate corporate identities. They may call it a "merger", but, again, in fact I think its going to be the classic joint venture. And with that, they'll share profits between the joint venture partners. Added profits that include money generated by the big Mexican clubs that still have the much bigger following in the US than any MLS teams.

Now it just becomes math. Based on limited reports over the years, I guesstimate they've got about 30 individual shareholders of the corporation (MLS), some who operate teams and some who don't, and to this they'll add a number of Liga MX teams owned by different people. How many teams in each country are needed in this new super league to generate the maximum net return and most benefit shareholder value? And which ones?

As fans, the immediate reaction will be to include every team and create a bloated 40 plus team competition that fans already are saying has little appeal. Their criticism -- too many clubs with limited appeal -- gives the answer: A limited super league will generate more money. More to the point, why would the super league include a small market team with modest ticket sales and a small social media/TV following that struggles to turn an operating profit? They represent a drag on income and the value of MLS and SUM shares. They do even less to generate added income for the Big Mexican clubs.

What I'm saying is by limiting the size of the joint venture to the most profitable teams with the biggest following and market share, a shareholder may make more money on his MLS shares and SUM shares than he would lose on the value of his operating rights for a specific MLS team that wasn't part of the new super league.

The excluded MLS teams don't have to go away. They would undoubtedly be operated more cheaply in the future, but they can continue playing what's left of the same teams they do now. My guess is for the new joint venture league, 16 teams is probably the optimal number, 8 from Mexico, 8 from MLS. Which means there can be plenty of MLS teams still around to have a good competition that won't have to travel to Mexico to do it.

Let me give you an example. To pick on Colorado, which, if you believe the 2017 Forbes article had operating income of just $19M and lost $6M in 2016 -- and I'll stipulate the numbers are impossible to verify, it's just an example -- consider could KSE make more money on its MLS and SUM shares if the Rapids were actually excluded from the joint venture league and remained in MLS with lower costs playing the likes of RSL, Vancouver, etc.? Honestly, that would not surprise me at all -- for the Rapids and maybe a dozen other MLS teams, Minnesota United included. Again, for a joint venture to work, it has to be accretive, meaning the parties have to make more money than they would separately.

So when I said they wouldn't care, I didn't mean to suggest a few MLS shareholders would simply override the shareholders that operate these other teams, I meant for the MLS shareholders who also operate marginally profitable teams with smaller followings, they may well conclude what they gain in the value of their MLS and SUM shares will more than offset the difference of the hit they take in the value of their operating rights. For an extreme example, that's what happened when MLS contracted Miami -- the owners gave up their operating rights where they were bleeding money and continued on as shareholders in MLS where they have likely done very well. Here, if the operators of smaller teams can go from an operating loss to break even or a small profit on their operating rights by remaining in MLS Classic, they will do even better if the super league makes the value of their MLS and SUM shares really jump.

If the math works as I suspect it will, all that remains is how MLS wants to link its teams, those that are in the new joint venture super league and those that remain in MLS classic. Pro/rel is obvious, but I'd be surprised if they go there because neither the Mexican clubs nor MLS really wants truly open pro/rel IMO. They could let MLS teams apply every 7 to 10 years to move up to the super league based on criteria and a vote. They could take Wenger's European super league proposal and have the MLS teams in the super league also compete in the MLS classic league, shifting the MLS games to mid week. Or they can just have a league cup -- another event for SUM to sell -- where all MLS teams compete each year. There are advantages and disadvantages to each idea, but they can work it out.

As Wenger said last spring, he believes the European super league is now inevitable.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-european-super-league-premier-league-arsenal

And, again, Bonilla's words: "we have to grow together to compete. If not, there is only going to be the rich guys in Europe and the rest of the world."

It appears the discussions between MLS and Liga MX heated up about the same time Wenger gave that interview. As they remind us all the time, Major League Soccer, LLC is a business. And fans need to remember just because we are passionate about an MLS team, businesses seek to maximize return and shareholder value which doesn't really take fans' opinions into account, at least not at face value.

We are going to see some major changes soon IMO.

23. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    I think that's right -- and then the battle shifts down a division. Note Leeds Utd. owner Andrea Radrizzani has encouraged the Championship to break away from the rest of the Football League so they don't have to share TV revenue with them:

“It is not sustainable to stay in the Championship. This model, and also the small money they [the EFL] generate from TV rights, split between 72 clubs, maybe they need to reconsider, and consider another way, to create a Premier League Two or something else that can be sustainable . . . “We should concede that a club like Leeds that is watched by 500,00 to 600,000 people live on Sky is getting from the league only £2m to £2.5m [TV income] and are actually penalised, because we are more than 20 times on TV. Maybe we should reconsider the system because it doesn’t work.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/10/leeds-owner-premier-league-two-replace-championship

24. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    I would sort the list two ways, first by social media followers as a proxy for future broadcast revenue potential, and second by attendance. Given that criteria, my guess is Seattle (high attendance, high social media) should be included. The tough call will be the teams like Chicago, Houston and Dallas which are in markets with large Mexican American populations that would probably turn out to see the Big Liga MX clubs when they come to town, but otherwise have much lower levels of organic attendance and social media followers.

25. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since they could hypothetically be relegated, the top English are part of the English FA, not part of the Premier League. Is there any agreement between the FA and the clubs that mentions if a club wants to play in another league or a new league?

I never though of MLS or SUM has having stocks. As far as I know the other American professional leagues don't sell stocks. People buy stocks to have shares increase, not because the people buy from the company or like what the company is doing. Isn't it bad if soccer decisions are being made because of stockholders who aren't fans? It's one thing for clubs to make less money because they have fewer fans. It's another thing to tell an owner/operator that his club won't be invited to a merged league because of stockholders who could own under $1,000 of stock each and can sell it whenever they want, whereas owners/operators spend millions per year and have a long-term commitment.