"The Rising Sun News" closes

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Whispered11, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  2. artml

artml Member

Liverpool FC
    Ukraine
    Jul 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Matsu, you did a tremendous job with RSN. It really helped to open Japanese football to the world.

Thanks a lot for everything!

dantasu repped this.
  3. -Kodemari

-Kodemari Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Trento, Italy
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I will mostly miss your rants, Matsu. Whether they were motivated or not, it was always very nice to read such passionate posts.

Many thanks for your dedication to Japanese football throughout the years.

4. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Im sure we'll be able to enjoy the odd rant on bigsoccer from time to time ;)

Matsu did a great service and a damn good job of it on his own. Pity to see the site stop, alwayys liked reading the NT reports.

5. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Actually a large chunk of blame for this to happen might as well be mine

To keep the site running Matsu needs a lot of work and stuff, I wanted to help still do, but I would have to do a lot more then I have so far

If we could at least have things like preseason team fortellings and post match reports and stuff like that.

Basically his (Ken's) input alone without all the Data he has to update regulary, that would be a ton really. Because that is the data needed for people to learn about J-League and get sucked into it.

How many caps who had and other stuff is just the extra good piece of info.

So have you thought about that Matsu?

He was the one who is responsible for me keeping track of J-League and spreading knowledge about it through out my Country, so I owe him a lot.

6. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Blue-san, please dont say such a thing!
    I appreciated everything that you did to help, and a lot of other people also helped out through the years, every one of their contributions was appreciated. I even appreciated the people who gave me criticism or flames, from time to time - well . . . OK sometimes it was hard to take, but I think it also inspired me to constantly do things to improve and expand the site.

No, the reasons for shutting down are mainly the following:

1. I just dont have the time to update anymore, and I cant ask someone else to do things that Im not willing to do myself.

2. I dont have much to offer, with The RSN, anymore.
    Just look at how few people responded to my Facebook announcement: 4 likes and 4 comments. If this is an accurate reflection of how few people still follow the site, then it tells me that it is time to close down. The world has moved on, and the people who used to support me/support the RSN have moved on as well.

I dont want that comment to sound like self-pity. In fact, that was actually the reason why I delayed a final decision for so long. I didnt want to just "quit" based on a feeling of anger or betrayal. Sure, for a while I did feel some anger because people who I helped and provided information/support/friendship to in the past are no longer supportive. Thats why I spent the past two months working through my regrets and anger. Eventually I realised and accepted that each person has their own life to live - I cant judge them based on how it makes *ME* feel... Especially because if I was in their shoes I might do exactly the same thing.

I only made this announcement when I finally felt satisfied that I could close the RSN down with no regrets and no criticisms.

3. The Internet is no longer a place for that type of website. Technology and people's behavour, and society in general have just moved on.

When I was younger I still wrote long, handwritten letters to people and posted them, years after letter-writing had become a thing of the past. Then one day I found out that the people I wrote to didnt even appreciate the letters - it made them "feel guilty" because they never replied as much or at the same length. A few people were even getting angry at me because of it. When someone finally told me this I was shocked, but after reflection I realised they were right - you cant fight against the tide of history and when you try to live in the past, it only causes conflict and confusion.

Two nights ago I had a dream which prompted me to remember that incident, and I realised that I was basically doing the same thing with the RSN. Nobody reads that kind of site anymore - its all on Facebook or Twitter or something like that. What I am doing is just trying to preserve the past to make myself feel like the world hasnt changed

But it has. Although Im still young and healthy enough to find lots of other, new things to do, I have to admit that in a lot of ways Im an "old man" and very "old-fashioned" with a lot of my preferences and ideas. While sometimes that experience and perspective might be useful to other people, they dont need an entire website full of outdated, retro-style information and graphics. I need to accept that, and move on to another activity or interest. The RSN is the past. Its time to start facing the future....

But yeah, as AKITOD says, Im sure Ill still post the occasional rant on here from time to time. I certainly havent lost my interest in football, or the J.League.

. . . . .

Anyway, I dont want ANYONE to think they are in any way "to blame" for anything. This is just one of those things that has to happen some time. Even Kazu will have to retire some day. I may as well do so before he does, so I dont go down in history for being the last person to let go of "the (so-called) good-old days.

Bazi, CND_MARINO, nipponbasse83 and 8 others repped this.
  7. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I still think the site could be run just with your inputs and as for data, who is in the team would be enough.

The heart of that site for me are, your descriptions of the teams, the preseason words about the teams, mid season after matches comments (here I and someothers could help - perhaps we dont have to write a summary for every single game, but for those we watch and have the tome to write about)

I rarely go on FB, yet I am definitely checking Rising Sun news.

I have a topic bout J-League on a Slovenian forum... 95% of posts in it are my own people watch la liga , serie a, premier league etc...
    However once in a while there is a guy who tells me he learned some stuff about J-League and he became interested and started to watch.
    For me those few people are enough, after all I admit I also do it for myself, because I enjoy keeping topic up to date, and I go to severe details, all the transfers, the winter highschool national tournament, the cups, japanese players abroad and I could go on and on...

Think about it Ken, sometimes it was always there, we just couldn't see it

8. mv_nelson

mv_nelson Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    So true. The way Matsu imbues what he writes with local knowledge and with recollections of events, players, teams going back over 20 years really makes RSN special. It's an invaluable resource for non-Japanese followers of the J-League, even in the age of 140 character posts (which will pass sometime as well). It's kind of an 'opinionated Wiki', but I mean that in a good way.

Me too, I barely look at or post on fb anymore. I always try to "like" an RSN post if I see one, though.

Same on my local forum.

9. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    I know your blog a little, but here goes:
    Reason #1 - OK, that might be a good reason.
    Reason #2 - Perhaps its an accurate reflection of how few your readers would also turn to Facebook?
    Reason #3 - Bad reason in my opinion. Its true that the people reading Twitter and Facebook are in the majority, but they are just reading fast and without any real respect for the "canned" news. It's like FAST FOOD - we just love the convenience, you absolutely do not relish the food - and yet which wins out? Yes, in our world FAST FOOD is enormously popular, it has conquered the world. Yet the minority who read your blog automatically distinguish the difference - as if it were right there on their taste buds.

10. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    um......It's his site if he decides to stop then he gets to stop. Argue against yourself when you choose to shut down your own website that takes as much time as I can only begin to imagine RSN did to keep updated.

And frankly, as long as you say reason 1 is a good reason then that should be enough for you.

mumf repped this.
  11. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    This really sucks, I always enjoyed reading preseason predictions of the teams Matsu wrote, this year it's just gonna be me

12. inakamono

inakamono New Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Such a shame to see the end of the RSN.

I guess I wasn't dropping by so much recently, but having been there since its inception it was still a shock to see it was closing -- the end of an era really.

Matsu, I'm going to miss your insight and your rants so much. The last few years I've only been keeping half an eye on the national team and checking to see how the Marinos are doing every once in a while, but it's going to be strange thinking the RSN isn't there when you need it. You provided a lot of people with a truly valuable resource, and -- although I think there's still a niche for it -- I respect your decision to step away. Thanks for all your work for so many years.

Hope everything's going well for you, old friend, and for Mrs. Matsu, and that life in Yamanashi is still good. Get yourself a bottle or three from that vineyard and enjoy some hanami for old times sake.

inakamono

Matsu repped this.
  13. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Man just this week I wanted to read the history of two J2 teams and was not able. Wish that data would stay

14. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Its Easter Sunday.
    Time for the resurrection!
    :eek:

GunnerTNB and artml repped this.
  15. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Man this is for me personally a great news.

Matsu if you want I can watch some games durring weekends and give my input and stuff. But either way I am glad Rising Sun is back ;)

16. Godzillaradio

Godzillaradio Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Australia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    April fools?

Whispered11 repped this.
  17. maroonaviator4

Apr 25, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Very sad to read that :( I've been following that site closely since 2003. He was very very good and made me fascinated with the J-league.

18. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Rising Sun is up, I read it regulary ;)

19. OishiiUdon

OishiiUdon Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'm happy to see that the website is back, but sad to read Week 13's article... oh my God... :(

20. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    reading it week in and week out is a joy and habit for me :)