The Rhythm Section - Beat Fan Club Forming

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by kbritt1967, Aug 23, 2010.

1. AtlBeaterteacher

AtlBeaterteacher New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bonnie - thanks for merging this together for us. As was mentioned earlier, did ever highjack the thread. Crazy Old Lady is right though, this does tie into it with a few twists and turns to get us back again.

Shawn - you are awesome! thanks for all you do!

GO BEAT!

2. AtlBeaterteacher

Aug 14, 2010
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shawn, if we craft an e-mail to season ticket holders and others who have purchased online, will you get it sent to them via the distibution list? Would love to have the DL list itself, but that depends on BEAT policy and I do not remeber what I if anything I read about sharing the of the e-mail addys :) It was a while ago.

Also - a "shoutout" via the Beat website as well with the same e-mail.

3. Atlanta Beat GM

Atlanta Beat GM New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Sure. Once you all have it organized and ready to go, we will put it on our website, on the videoboard at games and send out via our newletter to our fan base. Happy to do it.

4. Crazy Old Lady

Crazy Old Lady New Member

May 22, 2003
    just outside Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    KBRIT:- Have sent private message re idea for Fan Club Song.
    Anyone else who wants to hear my idea please let me know and I will PM it to you.If you like it will print up some copies.

5. Crazy Old Lady

May 22, 2003
    just outside Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Where and what time is everyone meeting up prior to the Saturday game?

6. Snail_ATL

Snail_ATL Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    This is a great idea, and I'd love to be part of it. A fan club would help us get more organized about promoting the club at the grass roots level, and would help with networking.

Also -- we need some more songs!! :)

7. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone who's interested in meeting before the game this weekend, we're meeting at Ippolito's (on Barrett Pkwy) at 4:45 on Saturday before the game. If you would, please say if you're coming so we'll know how many seats to get for our reservation. Come with ideas--let's get this thing started!

8. Crazy Old Lady

May 22, 2003
    just outside Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Count on Tony and I being there.

9. ATL_Iron

ATL_Iron New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Count me i as well, although i wont be at another game until the 5th.
    Although i hope to bring as many of my soccer team with me that day as im using up my remaining 13 tickets.

Great stuff plenty of singing please. As a member of the old Silverback Westside 109 fan section, one thing i really liked was that the owner would always come over to us each game with a free case of beer.
    Nothing like keeping your fan club vocal by lubricating them up a little ;-)
    Take note Shawn

10. Atlanta Beat GM

Atlanta Beat GM New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Note taken. Get it together and we can talk...:)...

11. supermoo

supermoo New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, one more head count?? Anyone else meeting so we can give Ipps more of an estimate? (between 10 and 20 didn't seem to help them much...lol)

12. Snail_ATL

Snail_ATL Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I hope the meeting went well. Sorry I couldn't be there. Hopefully you all had a productive and fun time -- one positive to take from an otherwise disappointing evening!

Supermoo, are you the Rachelle from Loseling? I'm Brendan.

13. supermoo

supermoo New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brendan, it is! :) It was a nice get-together, but a rough game, huh?
    Can you please PM me your email? We're setting up a yahoo group.

14. katndogs

katndogs New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    atl
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It was nice meeting everybody yesterday. I just sent out invitations to our Yahoo group. Please PM me with if you would like to join. The more, the merrier!
    Thanks!
    Kat

15. lisab

lisab Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Orlando
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody meeting up before Wed's game?

16. AtlBeaterteacher

Aug 14, 2010
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nothing formal planned. several of us sit within a few rows and seats from each other though and we'll talk i am sure. you are welcome to come by and say hello. message me for specifics

Stacey

17. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey all -

I spoke with Shawn and we are all set to meet at the Super Suite at the Beat stadium following the October 2 WNT game. I'll post more details via the Yahoo group. :D

18. supermoo

supermoo New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AWESOME!! Thanks for making the time :)

19. Crazy Old Lady

May 22, 2003
    just outside Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will see you all tomorrow.

20. AtlBeaterteacher

Aug 14, 2010
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay! CROG1967 rocks - thanks for making that happen. See ya Wed. An out of state fan (lisab) and her brother are joining us for the game. Endline seats, but are coming by to say hello.

Later - GO BEAT!

21. nine

nine New Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey you guys... i used to have an active profile on here several years ago and let it go...now i'm a new-newbie and wanted to get in on the discussion. i am michelle from fb/twitter/the group. just wanted to introduce my handle for this board. wait a minute, there's 2 michelles.. i am @IBeNumber9 on twitter.

shawn, that is an amazing offer to let us use the super suite! thank you very very much! looking forward to meeting every one in person on 10/2!

22. rokagrl13

rokagrl13 Member

Aug 14, 2007
    STL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys.

I haven't been around much this year after my Athletica folded but I wish you guys great luck in getting something going. The Army is still around but we just go to the men's games now because we all got addicted to drumming and chanting.

The offseason now is the time to set up the formalities and game-plans. I recommend starting off with the few people that will be the most involved meeting up some place where you can chat and laugh. We usually held them at a soccer bar. Brainstorm about places that you can go to make flyers and what it should say. I made one with our logo and something like

"WOMENS PRO SOCCER IS COMING TO STL!
    COME JOIN US FOR CHANTING, DRUMMING, AND DRINKING
    TAILGATING 2 HOURS BEFORE GAME

SAINT LOUIS ATHLETICA

and then I had a lot of tear off strips that had our website, email, and Athletica website."

Oh, and from a marketing point of view, tear one off to start off with because no one wants to take the first one and the bandwagon approach helps.

Set up an e-mail address to put on the forms and be able to answer questions. Something professional sounding, not your personal one.

Merchandise is helpful but be careful not to order too many because you don't want to end up stuck with them. We started off with just scarves and they sell amazing.

Also, make sure you talk to someone in the front office with how much you can use their logo/name/etc so you don't step on any toes.

I started the Army on my own. I reccommend just making 1 person take care of most of it so it flows and everything is taken track of.

Business cards are great to keep on hand. Ours were made via a template and printed out on teh card stock with perforated edges but looked nice and were amazing at getting people to the website. Everytime you talk to someone about it, hand them a card (or 2). This was really helpful at the bars because you knew the person would at least see it when they cleaned out their pockets no matter how little they remember of the night, they will see it.

Ok, I'm tired now and sad my team is gone. :(

1 person likes this.
  23. nine

nine New Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thank you for your thoughts and suggestions! that will help us tremendously and a lot of that has been discussed already via a yahoo! groups page we have currently set up. so far there's about 12 people in the group and about 6 of us that are very active and brainstorming. all this will start to come together on 10/2.

thanks again!

24. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think rokagrl13 did a fabulous job getting Laclade's Army running and building a good group. I'm far away from STL (and ATL, to be honest) but I still was able to tell what a good job the LA was doing & the growth of their group.

I saw this post in another thread but wanted to add something about it here since this is the thread for talk about supporters and how fans can help the ATL team grow. Once you get yourselves together, I highly recommend talking with other supporters groups (yes, even the Riptide) to see what kinds of join ventures you might be able to do and what sort of things they've found really don't work.

You are not the only person that thinks adults (sans kids, even) and the various sub-groups of adults are an audience that WPS needs to target. The big question, of course, is how to do just that with very limited advertising dollars. As with any business, word of mouth recommendations are the best advertising. That's why getting a supporters group that will be an active & visible presence in your communities outside of game day is (imo) so important.

Is there likely competition for sports entertainment dollars with the ATL Dream? I would think there would be but that's just me and my multiple sports fan self.

25. nine

nine New Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have suggested funding our group by taking in membership fees and using them for advertising and other things. it's just a matter of addressing our financial needs on paper and drafting a budget for them. of course, membership fees wouldn't be the only source of income, but for now that's all i've got.

as far as presence outside of game day, the Beat do cover a lot of ground with limited staff. this began last November. but now with Pride coming up in a couple weeks, i also thought there should be Beat presence somewhere in that....a float at the parade or a tent set up in a vendor alley. (although i have zero idea how much it costs to enter a float or construct it etc..)