The Return Of A Legend - Bienvenue Zidane

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by AriGold, Jan 4, 2016.

?

What do you think of Zidane's appointment as manager?

Poll closed Jan 14, 2016.
  1. Wonderful, I have a huge boner.

33 vote(s)
    49.3%
  2. Okay, half chub.

19 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. Meh, wanted someone else.

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. Horrible, i'm completely flaccid.

5 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. Doesn't matter, we are DOOMED.

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In Zidane I trust

S1na repped this.
  2. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Criticizing veteran players in the media rarely achieves any result and most of the time backfires in your face.

Vector-SS repped this.
  3. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Thank God Zidane isn't a moron.

I literally skip posts when I see stupid shit like that. As if it would accomplish anything but make a section of fans feel good about themselves for a singular moment.... all the while wrecking our team beyond saving.

natenate101 repped this.
  4. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Instead of talking to them he should focus on talking to himself.

He is the reason for this. His arrogance is why we are here. I wonder if he still feels this is the best group in the world? I wonder if he still feels Mayoral is enough and we don't need other additions?

Deep Pal repped this.
  5. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Said this in the summer, Mayoral should never have been an option. There is potential there, but he missed a whole year and didn't progress one bit.

Digital, Saeta Rubia and J-Mezzy repped this.
  6. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Mayoral has as many League goals as Cristiano Ronaldo.

7. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    So what? That only supports the fact that our resident's arrogance is the cornerstone to this madness.

If you're banking your entire season on Cristiano playing like superman every match and then Bernzema, Bale and Mayoral? You're either foolish or blinded by hubris.

Nathanial Essex repped this.
  8. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #1558 Saeta Rubia, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    We need to sign a striker in January. I know top strikers won't be available. Hopefully can sign a good one on loan. It was pure arrogance not to sign a striker after losing so many goals from Morata and James. Even in 2014, we signed Hernandez to replace less productive Morata. Bacca is doing a good job at Villarreal and we could have easily signed him on loan. They have like 4 forwards too so it wasn't about guaranteed spots.

9. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He's been worse than Alexander Szymanowski and Diego Rolan. Even Illarramendi has scored more goals than Cristiano Ronaldo so far this season.

For all the criticism Benzema has been getting, this is a crucial point, we're 8 points behind in the League and Ronaldo is one of the worst strikers in the entire League when it comes to efficiency.

Even if we had morata on the team and his 6 League goals scored for Chelsea so far, him + Morata would still mean less goals than Cedric Bakambu on his own.

10. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Yes, yes and yes.

Now who was the arrogant President who thought it was a bright idea to base our entire season on a 32 (soon to be 33) year old who in recent times has had very slow starts to his season; expecting superman level year-round?

Also, I'm not advocating for Morata. You know the only player I felt was can't miss.

It's all good though.

If Florentino were here he would tell you about how it is impossible to improve thus squad. How Mbappe should grow as a player and prove he is Madrid material; maybe Lucas and Mayoral can show the way?

Digital repped this.
  11. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    To be honest he is getting as few chances as possible, in a period of time that the whole team struggles. Not a good time to judge his performance.

12. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Last summer, we thought he needed to be loaned out to develop. He spent a year in Wolfsburg where he barely played. If they thought he needed to play to develop last year, not sure what changed over this year that made us think that now he's ready.

He may be really talented and may still have a bright future ahead of him, but I don't think a team with our ambitions should be counting on a player like him to be our main backup option for an already thin position.

13. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Agreed completely, it made no sense to me, they are hoping Ronaldo scores 40 goals again, not a good plan IMO , to win titles we need significant contributions from others , the form over the whole season shown last season by the others who we kept ( Gareth and Benz) was just not great, nothing to write home about,( Gareth being mostly injured) we needed at least one fresh spark upfront I think

“He may be really talented and may still have a bright future ahead of him, but I don’t think a team with our ambitions should be counting on a player like him to be our main backup option for an already thin position”
    this is also what I think/thought about our RB position

14. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Selling Morata made sense but selling Mariano was idiotic. If we really were waiting for Mbappe, we should have held on to Mariano until the deal was done like we did with Ozil and DiMaria when Bale and James were brought.

Letting Mayoral stay was irresponsible and reeks of ZZ/club management assuming BBC would be all that was needed for the attack despite the fact that they are all aging and/or injury prone.

Digital, Lyra, Saeta Rubia and 1 other person repped this.
  15. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the Mariano sale hurts a lot especially since there is no buyback. He looked hungry whenever he came on, but also dangerous and likely to score whether by hook or crook. Mayoral looks a level or two below where he needs to be to have a real impact, even beyond scoring goals.

16. robertocarlos3

robertocarlos3 Member+

Jan 9, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    they all took a gamble and lost.
    Zidane gambled (and will continue to gamble) on Benz.
    Perez gambled that CR will continue his form despite his age and Bale will play for a full season and retain his speed.
    just gamble.
    accept this as a bad management and a recovery/transformation year and move on.

17. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Hard for me to accept something that should have been obvious and something which will be repeated.

18. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

It should be Kroos-Isco-Case/Llorente on current form if we switch to 4-3-3.

19. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I don't care what formation we utilize, the only players that are pretty much untouchable at this point are Ronaldo, Ramos, and Isco.

I don't like Kroos/Llorente together, at least this far.

20. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Well last season we had Morata and Mariano. This season there is a shortage of personnel in the striker position and a higher chance for Mayoral to play. It is still soon to judge his season. He should play more, preferably after the team passes this crisis. Then we may clearly see if he is adequate or not.

21. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Zidane's subs have been very questionable this season. Rarely changed the course of the match or improved our play.

Lyra repped this.
  22. robertocarlos3

robertocarlos3 Member+

Jan 9, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Zidane's sub having been questionable since day 1 as coach.
    Zidane is a motivator, a players shrink and friend, but he is far from being a mastermind for formations and subs.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  23. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Well look who is on the bench this season.

Lucas? He's shit. Has been for two seasons
    Asensio? His momentous growth has stalled
    Mayoral? Lulz Mayoral

That is our options to help change the tide. To help grab a win. Ceballos, Marcos, Theo and Vallejo are all stabilizers.. their role is not to be match winners.

Take that in.

Now turn your attention to the President who saw this and thought we were too stacked for more additions because we had the best roster in the history of life.

24. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    I can only see this getting worse. This reminds me of the days where we went 3 seasons with not a single trophy, force fitting the likes of Raul and Beckham in the team. I remember when we played Raul, a slow, left-footed goal poacher who was way past his time as a right midfielder just so he could play.

I just pray we can at least win the Copa this season. Not only will it close the circle of titles Zidane needs to win, it will release some pressure off Zidane and the President so we don't panic and do something stupid, but at the same time, keep enough pressure so they know we expect more the season after.

My recommendations - buy Sanchez and Aubumayang. Older players but should give us a good 2-3 years at least until we have find the next big thing. Kovacic to start with Modric being backup.

25. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    While I agree with you that Perez fucxed up, you can't take blame away from Zidane. He was probably in the decision making process. Also, he didn't value Morata and James, so Perez shipped them off since Zidane didn't seem to need them.

Mbappe deal was another mess altogether. That I put on Perez, but the thin bench is also on Zidane