The Return Of A Legend - Bienvenue Zidane

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by AriGold, Jan 4, 2016.

?

What do you think of Zidane's appointment as manager?

Poll closed Jan 14, 2016.
  1. Wonderful, I have a huge boner.

33 vote(s)
    49.3%
  2. Okay, half chub.

19 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. Meh, wanted someone else.

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. Horrible, i'm completely flaccid.

5 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. Doesn't matter, we are DOOMED.

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. kweyork

kweyork Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    na

2. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As a former player, Zidane of all people should know that big players eventually decline or drop form. The Bale issue has sorted itself out for now but its clear as day Benzema is no longer a top player. Maybe he doesn't see Morata and Asensio as a big name players but the Isco exclusion is inexcusable seeing as though he is player like one of the best in the world atm.

Deep Pal and J-Mezzy repped this.
  3. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I don't understand what that means.

Deep Pal repped this.
  4. kweyork

kweyork Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's more than just the player, team dynamics and opposition tactics have to be take into consideration. Zidane tends to like wide players on the both sides of the front three, isco just isn't as effective on the wings as say asensio lucas or james. With regards to morata, the dynamics with him playing alongside ronaldo isn't as seasoned as when benzema plays alongside cr7. As it pertains to asensio i don't think zidane has any issues starting him against anyone, as a matter a fact it was zidane who insisted on him staying this season to be cr7's replacement

5. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    #1280 9Qui, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    It's partly because it's a bad translation.
    He isn't. This is the actual quote: "Rotaciones: "Hoy en día, para mí, no es como antes, que tenías menos partidos. Jugabas 30 o 40 y podías hacer las cosas con 12 o 13. Tengo jugadores muy buenos. No creo que sea más valiente, es mi pensamiento, no soy la persona que va a sentar a Cristiano o a Gareth. Hablo con los jugadores, intento explicar mi pensamiento y seguimos adelante todos juntos, tenemos el mismo camino y la misma idea. Tienes que hacer entender al jugador que este es el camino".
    http://www.marca.com/futbol/real-madrid/2017/04/28/59031d6fe2704e5a588b45c4.html

EDIT: AS has the quote with philosophy:
    http://futbol.as.com/futbol/2017/04/28/primera/1493375119_987887.html
    "Hoy en día no es como antes, cuando tenías menos partidos. Cuando jugabas 30 o 40 partidos en todo el año podías hacer las cosas con 12 o 13 jugadores. Pero hoy no, y más aquí que juegan todos en sus selecciones y juegan 60 o 70 partidos. Es mi filosofía. Yo no soy más valiente que otros. Es mi pensamiento. No soy la persona que voy a sentar a Cristiano o Bale. A veces discutimos con los jugadores, intento explicar mi pensamiento y luego seguimos adelante todos juntos. Tenemos la misma idea. Luego tienes que hacer entender al jugador que este es el camino. Y cuando los jugadores están contigo, fenomenal”.

Zidane05 repped this.
  6. AriGold

AriGold Member+

Jul 13, 2007
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    It's surreal to me that there's so much negativity surrounding Zidane. We're in the semifinals of the CL with a more than good chance of progressing. We have the league title in our own hands. From the sounds of some of you it's more like we're fighting relegation and wen't out of the CL before the quarter finals.

If Zidane believes Bale and CR should always play then I can't really argue against him. If he wasn't getting results then I would have a go at him but so far under Zidane we've played 79 games and lost 6... If that's not good enough for some here then I really don't know what the f*ck your demanding.

You want your favorite player to play more? We all do. But as long as the results are coming there's no reason to want him sacked like oh so many of you ask for in pretty much every match thread.

Anon., Deep Pal, russian hattie and 2 others repped this.
  7. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cause he's a bonehead and we aren't all blind. You can't tell me that this luck isn't going to run out eventually and that insisting on the BBC isn't going to blow up in our face. A lot of these results aren't really on Zidane's own merit.

8. AriGold

AriGold Member+

Jul 13, 2007
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    It really can't be luck. He's doing something right.

We just eliminated Bayern Munich from the CL, say what you will about the referee but if the ref did his job correctly we wouldn't have needed extra time. You really think that's pure luck?

I have another starting XI in mind, but it's hard for me to be so harsh when he's getting results and so far he's been getting them.

Deep Pal repped this.
  9. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    That is what i read and what I wrote originally. He is not the one to send Bale and Ronaldo to the bench. Not too difficult to interpret. I understand Spanish perfectly.

9Qui repped this.
  10. Chinky24

Chinky24 Member+

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2004
    Nashville
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So he's not the person to sit the BBC because we have many more games than we used to per season. Okay cool got it. I thought the manager is also supposed to say "I decide who plays"? I guess today is much different.

11. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    It's a different interview. :ROFLMAO: Maybe your perfect Spanish should pay better attention.

Deep Pal and Crimson repped this.
  12. Crimson

Crimson BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 11, 2009
    You mean you know how to use google translate perfectly lmao

13. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Rob is South American if im not mistaken

robnycus repped this.
  14. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    jealous? Lol

15. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's only the results that matter. If he delivers titles, he can do it by playing lal of his sons in the first team. If he doesn't he will be judged regardless of what decisions he makes. That's the business.

Nobody is going to cut him any slack for a potential nosedive if it happens without Ronaldo, Bale or Benzema on the pitch. In fact, he'll be shredded in the press for "unsettling world class players". It's pretty irrelevant what he does. Whether he's good or bad is decided at the end of the season.

Anon., Deep Pal and AriGold repped this.
  16. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    #1291 robnycus, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Is here if you have any doubt still.
    https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=dWcikFX_32M.

Coentrao has pain in his rectum" - what a pain in the ass that guy. :)

"Ronaldo is a winger and that won't change" - :/

17. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    The position we are sitting in is not too much different from the one we were in under Carlo, so if we are happy with that, then we should have just stuck with him.

Fact of the matter is, Zidane has made quite a few bad decisions. If we're criticizing a player of Ronaldo's caliber after a bad game, we should criticize a coach for making a bad decision, and even more so if he makes that bad decision every game day it seems. We've won a lot of games on pure individual talent rather than team structure or tactics.

This is, in my opinion, the best squad that we've ever assembled 1-23. The fact that we seem to be continually playing with a man down seemingly every game and waiting for players that deserve to be on the pitch from the start to come in and save our ass is speaking more to the difference in quality between the players Zidane is leaving out and the players he's starting than to the "genius" of subs he is making.

If you are happy with being top of the league and thus won't question the coach, fine, that's your prerogative. I look at it and see one of the weakest Barca teams in the past decade that continues to drop points, yet we continue to bring them back into the race.

9Qui, Deep Pal, Madrid_1902 and 6 others repped this.
  18. AriGold

AriGold Member+

Jul 13, 2007
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden

It's one thing to criticize the coach, but asking him to be sacked, saying "I'm done with Zidane and want him gone no matter how the season ends" is way way waaaaay over the top in my opinion. That he makes bad decisions is something I agree with, I don't want to see Benzema start for us anymore. But I don't feel the need to critique the coach when we keep winning.

You say we have the best squad we've ever had and in some aspects I can agree. but I'd also say Carlo had access to a much better Ronaldo and Benzema, as well as a fit Pepe. So while our squad has improved I'd also say some key elements are worse now then before.

And while I'm happy to be top of the league and thus don't feel the need to sack the coach after every close game it's your right to be unhappy with the style of play and the starting XI and complain just as much as you want. I just don't see the need nor the reason to be negative when things are going well.

Anon., Deep Pal and natenate101 repped this.
  19. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Whoever says that is an idiot. Regardless what happens this season, he should be here next year, titles or no titles.
    That is true. On the other hand, he has the players at his disposal to replace Benzema and get more out of Ronaldo in a different position with different personnel. He has done very well getting the most out of Nacho because Pepe has been a huge loss.

20. AriGold

AriGold Member+

Jul 13, 2007
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Those are the people I directed my post to, it's one thing to critique in a normal way but each and every game thread it's plain to see that some people want him gone no matter what. I never wanted to insinuate that you were one of them.

I agree, but even as good as Morata is now he's not as good as Benzema was when he was at his best. The same can be said about Nacho. But I do agree that if I was picking the starting XI I would chose differently.

Anon. and Zidane05 repped this.
  21. kweyork

kweyork Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The funny thing is if zidane puts morata in and the team loses because morata doesn't fit in - then he's going to get toasted. Its a lose lose being a coach at madrid most of the times.

He's at the training sessions, he oversees the pre season - he will always have the upper hand in determining what's best for the team

AriGold repped this.
  22. Crimson

Crimson BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 11, 2009
    Of you?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

no.

23. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I see you guys. :coffee:

Crimson and 9Qui repped this.
  24. madridismo

madridismo Member+

Feb 28, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    For all the stick we give Zizou, he also needs to get some credit for instilling a winning, resilient mentality in the team, and also some strategic improvements to the team's play.

It's no wonder that a lot of our late goals seem to be coming from crosses. Teams tend to stay compact and deep when playing against us, and for years we have had problems with park the bus teams and breaking them down. Both goals last night came from full backs who were in a lot of space out wide - so Zizou seems to have found some formula that works against bunkering teams.

natenate101 and Deep Pal repped this.
  25. Hsain85

Hsain85 Member+

Mar 28, 2006
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Zidane keeps avoiding answering questions re his future with club next season. Normally, the most diplomatic answer is: I have a contract till 20xx
    But he is not even saying that...