The Return Of A Legend - Bienvenue Zidane

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by AriGold, Jan 4, 2016.

?

What do you think of Zidane's appointment as manager?

Poll closed Jan 14, 2016.
  1. Wonderful, I have a huge boner.

33 vote(s)
    49.3%
  2. Okay, half chub.

19 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. Meh, wanted someone else.

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. Horrible, i'm completely flaccid.

5 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. Doesn't matter, we are DOOMED.

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Maybe I am. Maybe not. But to me, he was justifying why the BBC plays more over the others.

J-Mezzy and sleepyvato50 repped this.
  2. AriGold

AriGold Member+

Jul 13, 2007
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    #1252 AriGold, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    I can't pretend to know why Zidane says what he says, but I would probably say the same thing.

In part because the (rightful) criticism aimed at Benzema and Bale might be getting to them and Zidane want to keep the morale high with them. Another reason I'd say the same thing is that I would want the outside world believing I value them more. If we're getting rid of one or both in the summer this is the way to maximize the money we will get.

But I don't know how Zidane thinks. Maybe he believes Benzema is better than Morata and that Bale is better than Isco. I certainly hope he doesn't

3. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    You make it seem that way when you cherry pick only one sentence of the quote. He followed that up with an apologetic: "They are not doing badly." And then more on the defense: "We are all in the same boat and we're here now. To the end it will be this way." before promising us roses: "Later in the next year we'll see."

He could have also said that he doesn't think of it as an A and B team, but that we have the deepest squad in that world and that's he's very happy that everybody performs and contributes and thus is important to him and the club.

4. libertao

libertao Member+

Mar 15, 2006
    Me cherry pick? Zidane05 pulled that quote to make the opposite point, not me.

Anyway, you guys are delusional if you think a calm confident manager like Zidane is going to start criticizing his starters in public while they are tied for 1st in the league and heading to the CL semifinals in less than a week.

snooop, Akramzizou, robnycus and 2 others repped this.
  5. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    But that's what he did. He could have said what @Zidane05 suggested or what I outlined, but instead he pretty much said "I've made my bed and now I have to sleep in it. It will have to be this way for now and maybe later I can change it".

Shay Z repped this.
  6. AriGold

AriGold Member+

Jul 13, 2007
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I find it interesting how we can all read the same quote and come to such different conclusion.

Deep Pal, libertao and Hsain85 repped this.
  7. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I watched the press conf. He did not throw anyone under the bus.. What is clear and what continues to be clear to me is that the BBC+MCK is set for the big games when healthy. At the end he said, next year we will see if this changes.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  8. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I think Zidane is doing what a lot of managers do. Don't admit their mistake. The keep trying it their way even when its not working because making a change would be admitting they were wrong in the first instance. Or maybe he sees us sitting top of the league and in CL semi and says, dafuq are these guys talking about, I just win baby, why should I change, what I am doing is the best.

I think he's playing with fire. Making one change (Morata for Benz) won't make him look wrong. Actually it will be the opposite.

Oh and no matter what happens I wouldn't want him throwing any of our players under the bus. That's not his personality anyway so we good.

MerlinRM, J-Mezzy, Doni and 1 other person repped this.
  9. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Zidane has done an A+ job in handling the press. The fact that he's been here for all this time and all of his press conferences are football related with no personal attacks of any sort is some sort of a record.

-Reivax-, 9Qui, Zidane05 and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He seems to be more of the zip into a suitcase and throwing them into the boot and swallow the key type.

11. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Very boring press conferences which means he is doing a great job lol.

12. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Yup, took care of the Isco/James/Ronaldo/Lucas outbursts after subs right after the game and snuffed them away. Also, no stories about dressing room frictions either. Full credit for that, one of the most stable periods in the club's recent history.

13. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Great contrast to Rafa.

I mean seriously, who the hell thought that would work out

14. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    I don't miss Mourinho one bit.

Zidane05 repped this.
  15. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Zidane-as-manager = Kovacic-as-player

Glaring imperfections in performance, but so much potential, and said imperfections can/should all be remedied with time and experience.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  16. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Just to be clear, if there was any doubt on the issue.

Zidane: "I am not the person who will sit down CR7, Bale or anything like that. We discuss with the players & I always explain my thinking."

raven3k and J-Mezzy repped this.
  17. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    He didn't mention Benzema... :whistling:

18. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    that means that the only person who will tell those two players that they will not start in big games is Florentino

19. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    The team sheet comes in with his name printed on. That way Zidane doesn't have to waste time writing it in.

20. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    :ROFLMAO:

21. surgeon

surgeon Member+

Aug 28, 2012
    He's putting pressure on Flo with this comment to get some leeway in squad selection. It can't be any other reason.

AriGold repped this.
  22. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    857936628156968964 is not a valid tweet id

"How are you feeling? Are you tired?"

"I feel f*cking awesome"

What a boss :D:D

Hsain85, madridista_hr, raven3k and 4 others repped this.
  23. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that the translation, but at least he's kept his sense of humor.

24. dooda

dooda Member+

Jun 8, 2005
    Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Zidane: " It’s just my way of thinking. It's not me who’s going to bench Cristiano or Bale, it's my philosophy. Sometimes we argue with players, I try to explain my way of thinking and then we all carry on as normal together."

He's just trying to say it's not personal, it's a football decision.

raven3k and AriGold repped this.
  25. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    That makes more sense. It would be quite shocking if he threw his biggest ally (Floro) under the bus like that.

Sigh..... now he's talking about philosophy like this other manager we all despise. Somebody on TV made a point that Zidane still has a player's mentality. He thinks that big players play the big games like he did as a player.

I hope we can win at least La Liga this year and then Zidane can maybe have a rethink over the summer. More likely is he sticks to his methods if we win another trophy.