The Return Of A Legend - Bienvenue Zidane

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by AriGold, Jan 4, 2016.

?

What do you think of Zidane's appointment as manager?

Poll closed Jan 14, 2016.
  1. Wonderful, I have a huge boner.

33 vote(s)
    49.3%
  2. Okay, half chub.

19 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. Meh, wanted someone else.

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. Horrible, i'm completely flaccid.

5 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. Doesn't matter, we are DOOMED.

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Even Carlo (who has no relations with our club at present) thanked him
    1002291018719485952 is not a valid tweet id

CR7PT, Digital, S1na and 5 others repped this.
  2. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I'll say this, if anyone thinks Bale was behind this and thinks that Bale can back into that dressing room that absolutely loves Zidane, they're out of their minds. If it's all true and Bale stays, you can kiss next season good bye.

MerlinRM, Digital, Anon. and 2 others repped this.
  3. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #2553 Saeta Rubia, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    Florentino Pérez tried to convince Zidane until the final minute

Florentino Perez tried to convince Zidane of his continuity that same Wednesday night and on Thursday morning to avoid the undesirable press conference. «Continue one more season, you have won everything, your credit is at the maximum». There was no way.

As the president knows well, Zizou meditates a lot on his decisions and when he announces them there is no point of return. In 2006 he told him that he was retiring as a footballer and forgave a one year contract and a six million salary. "I only ask you to never tell my father that I gave up that much money, because he will cut my neck", Zidane told Florentino then.

Gave up two years contract and fifteen million

Now, the Frenchman has decided that he won't continue as coach. Gave up fifteen million net euros, two years of contract. And the press conference had to be called. There was no going back. Florentino Pérez knew it.

http://www.abc.es/deportes/real-mad...-hasta-minuto-final-201806010200_noticia.html

CivilProtection, S1na and Anon. repped this.
  4. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    ******** man I'm still upset. It's worrying that he feels he can't win with this team and he can't be part of the change.... part of the challenge is transitioning teams man come on Zidane....

Digital, S1na and Lyra repped this.
  5. MaxY

MaxY Member+

May 24, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He's too kind hearted to be a full time club coach. He doesn't have the heart to bench Keylor,Benzema etc. They gave him 3 UCL and he's best friends with some of them and a "brother" with Benzema for example.

He knows that there's no winning the league with such an aging squad and that UCL is a gamble.

I heard that the average age or our first XI is 29.

S1na and madridista_hr repped this.
  6. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Zidane explained to the president that he is leaving because a squad becomes accustomed with a coach when he wins so many things for three years and another coach is needed to start from scratch and force the players to stand firm to maintain starting role with the new boss. This task should be dictated by a man without emotional ties with professionals. He does not want to live what happened to Del Bosque, who had to remove Xavi from the eleven, Cesc, Villa, Casillas. It is not easy, it is very hard to unseat players who have triumphed with a coach. Better another coach who has no attachments. Zidane has seen this empower how Bale, Benzema, Marcelo and other starters were relaxed knowing that they were fixed in the eleven when the big matches came. And he has shown that benching of Bale and Benzema made them react on the pitch in semifinals and in the final.

Bale was not the problem

Muchos piensan que «Zizou» se va por un antagonismo con el galés, que podría extenderse la próxima campaña a otros veteranos que deberán soportar mayor competencia por jugar. Todo lo contrario. En la entidad opinan que el responsable de la plantilla lo hizo todo bien, pues consiguió que Bale y Benzema volvieran a hacer decisiva a la BBC. «Si Gareth rinde bien jugando siempre en el segundo tiempo, así hay que hacerlo», señala un profesional de del Real Madrid. Así lo ha hecho el francés. Y dio resultado. Pero enjuicia que ahora debe ser otro hombre quien, sin relación previa con el grupo, ejecute esa salto adelante con futbolistas entrados en la treintena que deberán competir con suplentes de lujo y la irrupción de nuevos fichajes. El club conoce bien esta posición de «Zizou». El francés indica que ha sufrido un enorme desgaste al mando del Real Madrid, porque la trascendencia mediática es infinita. «Un año aquí es como tres en otro equipo». Se lo decía siempre a los jugadores. Se lo aplica.

http://www.abc.es/deportes/real-mad...-hasta-minuto-final-201806010200_noticia.html

S1na, madridista_hr and Anon. repped this.
  7. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The club hired a talented young goalkeeper, had him come to Madrid to take the medical under severe pressure from his current club, the guy showed an impressive amount of balls to do that to Athletic, and Zidane says "we don't need a goalkeeper".

If Zidane wanted good new players, that was the moment we could have got one there that would integrate into the squad for next to nothing and Zizou shot him down in public.

That's my opinion. The club wanted to make changes, but Zidane has grown so attached to the current squad that it would have become impossible to field any other team but "his team".

And i do see a lot of people here claiming that "his team" is probably towards the end of it's time, so i don't really see a conflict there. I do think that Florentino wanted to work this out with Zizou, but he's a man of clear consequences. He wouldn't start dropping players and saying tough goodbyes.

madridista_hr, Ahmadi8 and Saeta Rubia repped this.
  8. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Zidane always wanted stability. Once thing we know about Uncle Flo is that he never hesitates to bring new stars. James and Kroos right after we won La Decima. ZZ wanted Pogba (Raiola and wage demands stopped it) after 11th, but then he won the double and prioritized stability. ABC said two days ago that ZZ didn't even push that hard for Mbappe 'cos he didn't want to force Bale out. He also tried to convince Morata to stay long before Mbappe saga.

9. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    I think you're right but part of the job is making the tough transition period.
    This is were I give Ferguson credit. He was cut throat when it came to players that no longer produced for him.

Damn it Zidane...

Anon. repped this.
  10. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If in some weird way Flo sided with Bale over Zidane, he's done.

Bale should leave asap.

11. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    This was going to be my next point. Do any of you honestly believe the players didn't notice Bale's actions (non)?

As I said before I don't believe it's only Bale's demands, I believe it's a culmination of things. His demands to start or leave was probably the last straw for Zidane.

The guy couldn't even thank Zidane for managing him. What a character... injured badly the past years, couldn't even be 100% in the CL final in his hometown. This year Zidane manages his minutes so he can have the spectacular and instead of thanks he immediately uses this performance to attack Zidane for not making him untouchable.

12. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That's completely ridiculous. Florentino practically gave James away, I don't see what Bale gives us that James didn't that would give him so much power.

To me everybody that believes this Bale stuff is a huge idiot. The only player with some kind of leverage in the club is Ronaldo. Everybody is is playing his part.

-Reivax-, kelvinphr, natenate101 and 6 others repped this.
  13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Zidane has allowed at least 3 other players to leave that told him they wanted to go. Acting like Bale has the power to decide Zidane's future makes zizou look like a total wimp and is unfair to both of them.

I just think that Zidane didn't want to start around a new team. I do think he will return to the club at some point, but my gut feeling tells me that he knew that this squad doesn't have much left in it and left before he had to start making tough decisions that could have harmed his relationship with this group.

natenate101, Digital, 9Qui and 3 others repped this.
  14. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I've said in previous posts that Zidane is above all the players in the eyes of the fans, but you never know what goes on backstage. I seriously doubt there's any truth to that, but if there is...

15. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Zidane is above everybody, possibly even above Florentino. He actually vetoed a done and dusted transfer in public. Imagine any other coach not wanting a player in Madrid, including Carlo. You know what would happen? Carlo would be standing next to him in the presentation a week later saying "were happy to have him here, he makes us better".

If anybody can tell me after the Kepa incident that Zidane didn't have the power to make his own decisions, they have to be out of their mind

I do think this was our weakest season of the triple CL run, and maybe Zidane is just looking at it and took his consequences from that. He was talking about quitting all season.

-Reivax-, Anon., Hsain85 and 1 other person repped this.
  16. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    If this were the case why was he so pragmatic dealing with his roster? Zidane was no nonsense. He played who he wanted when and how and regardless of the bullshit said on this forum and in the media, he played what he felt was best.

He wasn't afraid to bench Benzema, Bale or Isco. He's the manager who made Cristiano embrace rest.

It seems too odd for me that Bale throws barbs at him right after the CL final, threatening to speak to Florentino. Then days after Zidane's speaking of his excitement for the new season, he doesn't want to continue.

I believe you have a point and this attachment played a part. However, if he would never bench Benzema or Bale, where would that have left Mbappe who he begged for all summer?

17. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    He didn't decide Zidane's future because Zidane did. I'm saying Bale's action pushed things over the top.

The fact Bale acted the way he did, says more than anything in this thread. There is something there and if I'm right I know those other players detest him.

Let's not act like this isn't part of Bale's character.

Lyra repped this.
  18. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Lucas Vazquez missed a huge opportunity to name his son Zinedine Vazquez :D.

meringues, madridista_hr and S1na repped this.
  19. Hsain85

Hsain85 Member+

Mar 28, 2006
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    it could be 1 of 2 things:
    1) him wanting the France job after winning everything bar the Copa.
    2) him believing that this squad needs a major change or a challenge from a new coach.
    If it’s No2 then I can really see Wenger coming here for a couple of years before getting sacked and Zizou returning.
    If it’s no1 then it’s a different story.
    Big changes should be coming either way.

20. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm not sure what the truth is but I highly doubt it's some power play by Bale. The guy has no leverage over Zidane.

Could it just be the reality that no club can sustain someone like Ferguson ever again? Especially at a club like ours? I greatly respect Zidane for stepping down at the top and don't hold it against him in terms of a rebuilding stage.

S1na and Anon. repped this.
  21. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Could it just be many reasons and not just one?

Bale being the last straw? France being an attractive destination? Not wanting to deal with player transition? Not being able to get the right attacking reinforcements? Etc?

Since when is it one thing in anything in life? That's too simplistic an answer for this complex out of nowhere situation.

22. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It seems odd to me that a man who was talking about quitting for almost the entire season and literally stopped talking about it when it seemed like we might still save the season, gives an interview still semi drunk from celebrating the trophy and we're putting this one interview at a higher value than him talking quitting for months, making it even more absurd, since back when he talked about quitting, Bale was injured and not even available to be a problem or a worry for him.

Personally I think there were discussions about our plans for next season and Zidane simply decided he can't do it. He quit as a player in the same way, when he felt he couldn't do it, he stopped.

23. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's just so ridiculous to blame Bale for Zidane quitting, a guy who threw away the chance of winning a world cup to defend his principles would quit because of a player being sad about not playing. Sounds like a joke.

Anon. repped this.
  24. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    #2574 robnycus, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    You are misinterpreting the Bale situation btw.

When i said not on the same page with regards to some players with Flo I didn’t mean to say Zidane wanted to keep the current squad just because of Keylor That is just one player out of 24.
    Some players he wanted to keep obviously but for other roles he wanted reinforcements That the club was not in agreement with.
    Why do I say this.. I go back to that Leganes match.. it was no just about benching the starters, that was not the solution and that is simply because our backups were not better nor deserve to start over the regulars for not being good enough.
    Bale was so bad early in the season and injured and when the season was over he still ended up outperforming Asensio, Lucas and Isco.
    Mayoral was never going to contribute more than Benzema..
    So I dont think is about Zidane not having the pulse to push these players out but about not having the players who were good enough to replace them with.
    And Navas to Zizou was not a problem.. because quite honesty he is still a top 5 keeper so that does not prove anything.
    Any manager would be hAppy to have a top 5 keeper and prioritize enforcing other roles..
    The kepa situation is a push by the spanish media and the club to promote spanish talent which is what they have done with Isco/Asensio/Mayoral and then Ceballos, Llorente etc..
    In these circumstances it is the club deciding on the transfers and not letting the manager decide who he thinks is good and needs to stay and who he thinks is not good for this club and needs to go or not necessary at the moment.

Zidane litetatly just told the club that the players that they are getting will not be winning anything in the immediate future.
    It is now up to the next coach to make it happen because he does not think is possible.

25. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I doubt Zidane would quit on the club because the squad wasn't good enough. Sounds more like what people wish were true rather than what's actually going on.

He said "to me, Benzema is the best in the world" and people are out here saying he asked for a striker and didn't get one.

natenate101 repped this.