The Renamed 'random thoughts about music' thread"?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by nicodemus, Jan 6, 2007.

1. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    On Wednesday, the Library of Congress announced 25 new additions to the National Recording Registry, its collection of recorded music, documentaries and radio broadcasts that captures the cultural history of America, as well as technical advancements in audio recording.

National Recording Registry To “Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive”
    - Library of Congress
    http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2015/15-041.html

(in chronological order)
    1. Vernacular Wax Cylinder Recordings at University of California, Santa Barbara Library (c.1890-1910)
    2. The Benjamin Ives Gilman Collection, recorded at the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition at Chicago (1893)
    3. "The Boys of the Lough"/"The Humours of Ennistymon" (single)—Michael Coleman (1922)
    4. "Black Snake Moan"/ "Match Box Blues"(single)—Blind Lemon Jefferson (1928)
    5. "Sorry, Wrong Number" (episode of "Suspense" radio series, May 25, 1943)
    6. "Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive" (single)—Johnny Mercer (1944)
    7. Radio Coverage of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Funeral—Arthur Godfrey, et al. (April 14, 1945)
    8. "Kiss Me, Kate" (original cast album) (1949)
    9. "John Brown’s Body" (album)—Tyrone Power, Judith Anderson, and Raymond Massey; directed by Charles Laughton (1953)
    10. "My Funny Valentine" (single)—The Gerry Mulligan Quartet featuring Chet Baker (1953)
    11. "Sixteen Tons" (single)—Tennessee Ernie Ford (1955)
    12. "Mary Don’t You Weep" (single)—The Swan Silvertones (1959)
    13. "Joan Baez" (album)—Joan Baez (1960)
    14. "Stand by Me" (single)—Ben E. King (1961)
    15. "New Orleans’ Sweet Emma Barrett and her Preservation Hall Jazz Band" (album)—Sweet Emma and her Preservation Hall Jazz Band (1964)
    16. "You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’" (single)—The Righteous Brothers (1964)
    17. "The Doors" (album)—The Doors (1967)
    18. "Stand!" (album)—Sly and the Family Stone (1969)
    19. "Lincoln Mayorga and Distinguished Colleagues" (album)—Lincoln Mayorga (1968)
    20. "A Wild and Crazy Guy" (album)—Steve Martin (1978)
    21. "Sesame Street: All-Time Platinum Favorites" (album)—Various (1995)
    22. "OK Computer" (album)—Radiohead (1997)
    23. "Songs of the Old Regular Baptists"—Various (1997)
    24. "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" (album)—Lauryn Hill (1998)
    25. "Fanfares for the Uncommon Woman" (album)—Colorado Symphony Orchestra, Marin Alsop, conductor; Joan Tower, composer (1999)

ElasticNorseman and StiltonFC repped this.
  2. ElasticNorseman

ElasticNorseman Member+

Apr 16, 2004
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Lots of good stuff here, but I have fond memories of listening to my dad's 78 of this.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  3. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I've been on a Prince kick lately. Something about the guy's talent, ahead of his time. Been listening to Controversy quite a bit.

4. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    your dad is only 78???

5. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    [​IMG]

Record Industry Will Adopt Friday as Global Release Day Beginning July 10
    - Billboard
    http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/6591061/global-release-day-launch-set-for-july

ElasticNorseman repped this.
  6. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Not to bring up something that's old in culture terms, but whenever I hear Uptown Funk, I can pick out how many funk groups you can hear in just the first minute alone.

It bugs me whenever I tried to get my friends into funk they'd dismiss it. Now a song like that comes out and everyone think it's brilliant. What about the guys who wrote those songs as old as Ronson?

7. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    [​IMG]

Willie Nelson Named Recipient of Gershwin Prize for Popular Song
    - Library of Congress
    http://loc.gov/today/pr/2015/15-117.html
    Librarian of Congress James Billington today announced that Willie Nelson is the next recipient of the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song.

With a career that spans six decades, Nelson’s music pushes genre boundaries and his lyrics give voice to America’s heartland. He put his imprint forever on country music and introduced it to new audiences by expanding music’s avenues in the ‘70s to create "outlaw country." He has continually broadened his musical language, crossing into jazz, blues, folk, rock and Latin styles. A guitar virtuoso with a unique voice, Nelson is an artist whose work continues to inspire new musicians of diverse genres.

Nelson will receive the prize in Washington, D.C., in November and be feted with a series of events. With 200-plus recordings, this iconic Texan is the creative genius behind the historic albums "Shotgun Willie," "Red Headed Stranger" and "Stardust." He is also the songwriter of many country-music standards, including "Crazy," "Hello Walls" and "Funny How Time Slips Away."

luftmensch repped this.
  8. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Plenty of honorees from the world of music...

38th Annual Kennedy Center Honors
    - The Kennedy Center
    http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/specialevents/honors/
    List of all winners (1978-2014): http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/specialevents/honors/history.cfm

Washington Post article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...f527ac-2a60-11e5-bd33-395c05608059_story.html

9. ElasticNorseman

ElasticNorseman Member+

Apr 16, 2004
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    For a short period of time you can download the new Wilco album "Star Wars" for free by visiting http://wilcoworld.net/

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  10. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
  11. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    On my drive to work, Hanson's MmmBop popped into my head.

I don't like Hanson, I haven't thought of them or that song since I was 10. It's odd.

I did discover the genius that is Susumu Yokota not too long ago.

12. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any guitarists out there have the ability to make this G dom7 chord cleanly?
    G7 = 323031
    Index finger on 1st string, 1st fret
    Pinky on 2nd string, 3rd fret
    3rd string open
    Ring finger on 4th string, 3rd fret
    Middle finger on 5th string, 2nd fret
    Thumb wraps around on 6th string, 3rd fret.

This is just killing me. I can either get the 6th or 1st strings to sound, but not both.

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Cheer up-- Django Reinhardt couldn't have done that much...

15. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but I'm not playing gypsy jazz. At some point I wouldn't mind learning a little of that, or maybe some Freddie Green comping, so that I could join in swing jams, sit in the background, and play things that make sense. But not today.

16. freekickwiz

freekickwiz Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    Under the endless sky
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't have a complete set of strings at the moment so I can't try it :(

I'm getting a set this weekend, though.

17. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kind of guitar are you trying it on? Might help if it was a guitar with a smaller fretboard like a Fender Mustang.
    I'll try it when I get home, I think I can get it. Looks similar to the chord Jimi slides around the neck in the intro to "Castles Made of Sand."

18. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Various acoustics, 1 3/4" or 1 13/16" nut width. Narrower fretboards than that, and it's hard for me to play fingerstyle.

Rev. Gary Davis used it a lot; you hear/see it in this.

I spent a long weekend workshop with Jorma Kaukonen in September and it was one of the chords he gave us for a tune. A more conventional G or G7 (the usual 320001) will work; but this is a bit more interesting for fingerstyle because it allows for an alternating thumb bass between the root and the 7th, rather than root/3rd or root/5th. Reverend Gary Davis was famous for chord voicings that were ridiculously hard to finger. The problem for me is that catching the 6th string with my thumb in the 3rd fret, while trying to have the hand far enough forward to finger the 1st string in the 1st fret, means the meat of my hand, below the fingers, mutes the 1st string. I'm trying to be optimistic about it, because there are tons of chord shapes that I couldn't do at one time in my life and thought were literally impossible for my hand to make (most barre chords, the wraparound thumb F 1x3211 with the thumb catching the 6th string in the 1st fret) and now I can do them. So part of me thinks that if I keep trying it, eventually it will come. But this is *such* a contortion of my hand. And I have to be careful because I hurt my hand two summers ago while trying to accelerate the process of learning the wraparound thumb F.

crazypete13 repped this.
  19. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    So, I've been playing drums with friends for a while now - and belting out the odd tune here and there.

Since we all are multi-instrumentalists at heart - I now have a borrowed electric bass at home that I'm trying to learn on.

What I'm looking for is a Bass for Dummies (not fishing) type starter instruction. Any ideas where to start?

20. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Sorry, I have no experience with this at all; I just thought it was the most obvious answer to your question. :)

I will say this, though. Obviously this is subjective and others' mileage may vary; but I found that when I was starting out with guitar, having an actual human instructor was crucial. It didn't need to be one-on-one -- I took group lessons for complete beginners and that was fine -- but I needed someone there to catch when I was learning a bad habit or who could diagnose something I was doing wrong.

21. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Cool, I figured that - ideally looking for an e-resource.

I have three other bassists/guitarists I play with - so I get plenty of feedback.
    Mostly I'm playing a simple lick when one of them wants to take a turn behind the kit, and I want to know the basics.

22. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of the various free guitar resources online, the one that seems the most impressive (purely on the surface) to me, and that friends of mine who've actually worked with it say the most positive stuff about, is Justin Sandercoe's stuff, justinguitar.com. There is no stuff there for the bass guitar. But because it's so well-thought-of, I just googled "justinguitar for bass" and a number of web forum discussion threads where people asked the question "is there something equivalent to justinguitar for bass" and got responses came up.

crazypete13 repped this.
  23. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Thanks - will do.

24. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn! That guy has huge hands.

I don't have big hands and couldn't get it clean on a nylon string acoustic. I can do it fairly easily on a strat though.

First I put the neck directly in the U of my hand. It's bad form but it's the only way I can get my thumb on there. Then I fretted a big "C"-- an open C with my first, second, and third fingers with the addition of the pinky on the high G and the thumb on the low G [332013]. Played that until it felt comfortable. Finally, I reversed the first finger with the pinky, and the second finger with the third finger to make the G7 [323031].

25. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I haven't tried it on my tele yet, because the acoustic is where I need it.

That's good, because being able to go between that G7 and that C just by moving the second and third fingers back and fourth is something he did a fair bit of.