the Remi Garde revolution?

Discussion in 'Olympique Lyonnais' started by lefutur, Aug 20, 2011.

1. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Ok, maybe revolution is a strong word but one has to admit that so far there have been some noticeable changes to way Lyon operates this season, albeit we are still very, very early in the season.

The biggest change, from a tactical perspective, has been the adoption of the 4-4-2 formation. Lyon, for the past decade or so, and even under Puel, has relied on the formerly effective 4-3-3 formation. One might argue that Juninho was largely responsible for making the 4-3-3 such a great system for so long at OL, but even under Puel, the 4-3-3 appeared to work best.

Now Remi Garde has started the season with a 4-4-2 that has produced some of the most attractive football seen played by a Lyon side in years. Garde has hinted that he sees the team continuing in this system even though Lyon has been deprived of its chief playmaker, Gourcuff during this time, and the 4-4-2 would not necessarily suit Yoann when he's fit to return to play.

Another major change at the club has been a new recruitment policy that favors creating stability within the squad rather than recruiting star players. This and a reliance on the youth players coming up through the squad is designed to create more cohesion within the group and permit them to play as a tighter unit.

Already, this strategy may be bearing fruit. An improved team spirit and more coordinated interplay on the field suggests that the players are beginning to anticipate each others' actions and link up more effortlessly than in the past.

Remi Garde has said that he prefers having an équipe type rather than rotating players. Time will tell if this is a good idea over the long haul since this will surely take a toll on the players' energy over the course of the season. But Garde has said that he believe that a positive playing dynamic can overcome the negative aspects of using the same players week in, and week out.

To be continued....

2. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It's only been three games but I'm real happy with the changes that Garde has implemented. I like the 442, Lisandro and Gomis playing with each other in the center I think will elevate both their games. I don't know what we will do with Gourcuff when he comes back. I don't trust his willingness to track back, like KK and Gonalons will do. I imagine Gonalons will be dropped to the bench and Kallstrom will take his place as the water carrier of sorts. But no I don't see Gourcuff as a 442 CM. Let's wait and see eh? I'm also excited on how Garde plays the young guns coming back from the World Cup. He's work extensively with these guys, and it's been mentioned he's going to incorporate more the youth. I'd love to see Lacazette coming off the bench to terroize some tired legs in tight matches. All in all hopeful times in OLand.

3. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville

At this point in time, that seems to be a good thing. However there is little money available to bring in new players so there is no alternative but to stay the current course.

4. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Lyon looked good vs brest even with a red card

Lyon still has alot of attack opinions

Lisandro López,Alexandre Lacazette,Jimmy Briand,Yannis Tafer

Sébastien Faure should start some games this dude played pretty well in the world cup and played solid out back

5. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    an important win versus OL most daunting opponent yet in the league, Montpelier, and Remi Garde deserves some credit for his inspired substitutions.

Both goals were scored by his subs and the first one came minutes after making a change at the half by putting in Pjanic for Briand. Pjanic opened the score and even provided the assist on the second goal scored by another sub, Jeremy Pied.

its reasonable to assume that Lyon would have lost the game against a tough Montpelier team who were putting a lot of pressure on Lyon's defense, had Garde not made those adjustments.

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    garde's subs were once again inspired, but above all we would have lost to montpellier if lloris hadn't been en état de grâce. once MHSC were down to 10 things got better but licha having to go out put us back in the soup. his work rate is incredible and in so many roles.

the real evolution we've seen has not been so much the 4-4-2 as the consistency of his lineup, but even more the amount of cooperation and effort we're seeing from everyone on the field and the way the team plays as a compact block, just like in the PLG and houllier days, and it's no coincidence: RG was assistant to both of them. the keynote was the first match against nice: you could see they had been preparing, rehearsing it for weeks, everything just clicked the way you very rarely see on day 1.

even in the present alignment i see gourcuff slotting in perfectly in kallstrom's position; if you look at how much the ball goes through kim it's almost like the schema was made for yoyo and it's kim filling in. gourcuff has never been afraid to get stuck in; what's more,garde isn't interested in attackers "tracking back": he wants the defensive pressure to start as far forward as possible.

but by the time gourcuff is back garde might consider the 4-4-2 broken in well enough and want to add another string to his tactical bow. that could be a 4-3-3 with bastos at the back, licha on the left wing and a midfield of KK - max - yoyo, it could be a diamond midfield of max - KK & jimmy - yoyo, or even max - KK & yoyo - miré...

one way or another though gourcuff is going to be a major player, and just like bastos, kallstrom or gonalons, i think we're going to see him bust completely loose in the confident new atmosphere garde is building. pastore WHO?

7. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    One also has to wonder when Pjanic will break into the starting 11 with the performances he's been putting in as of late.

8. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    the starting 11 here or at roma?

9. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I thought Pjanic has been playing pretty well as of late, but maybe the goal last weekend has blinded me a bit...

10. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    no, he's been really good this season! over the entire time he's been with us it's hard not to be disappointed.

he still may not go to roma (i hope not really; he'll be very useful the next 6-8 weeks); he still needs to OK the deal himself and it seems he wants to stay in lyon..

11. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Amazing how much can change in just a few months...

12. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll be available for kids' parties in a couple of weeks.

13. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    depression kicking in?:eek:

who remi? nah, bad joke

14. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    So how does everybody feel about the new look squad this season? Thumbs up for the recruits (Malbranque, Bisevac etc)? The decision to promote Vercoutre to the #1 keeper spot?

What are your thoughts this far into the season?

15. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Cautiously optimistic about a top 3 finish. I liked the Bisevac signing all along, but Malbranque has really exceeded all my expectations of him, I hope he keeps it up. Haven't seen enough of Monzon to really form an opinion. Vercoutre has been solid overall from what I've seen. We conceded a lot of goals last season even with Lloris in goal, so more important than keeper was improving defense and midfield possession.

I think Garde has done a very good job so far considering the financial limitations he's worked with, especially compared to the big spending Puel years. The Gourcuff injury was a significant loss, as he was in good form.

lefutur repped this.