The Red Baron: Josh Sargent at Norwich City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Left out of the U23 camp prepping for the Olympic quals. He needs an uncle with clout somewhere ASAP.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    What? It's like he's some red-headed step-child...

Oh wait. Nevermind...

3. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing time eroded but a few injured starters came back healthy. So, playing time erosion may not have been entirely within Sargent’s control, unless he was playing like Jordan Sancho or something.

freisland repped this.
  4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  5. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But seriously, what is wrong with the federation in leaving Sargent off of every possible squad?

6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Squad mismanagement at its finest.

7. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Damn. He got Bocanegra'd before he could Szetela!

Seriously. The most talented striker ona generation.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Maybe he's just a disagreeable young man.

9. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Ggg/Holden/America: this team has no heart. No fight. No desire.
    Me: why did you effectively Fire Josh Sargent your best striking prospect in a generation and playing in the Bundesliga as a teen ager?
    Ggg/Holden/America: because he spoke up during a team meeting and told everyone this team has not heart. No fight. No desire. We don't accept that kind of talk here.
    Cameron: oi.

10. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Can't you have these crazy person monologues in USA MEN? @bungadiri

11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    it's not a negative he's only 19, let him develop with his club. There is a reason why tons of countries avoid playing "kids" uptop, they aren't ready yet to lift all the burden.

IMHO, striker is the toughest outfield position even more so if your only playing 1 uptop. And more so the modern day striker who doesn't just sit in the box and wait for things to happen, has to be involved in different facets of the game. Doesn't help that it's the position that takes the longest to develop too.

as he gets older he'll also buff up more than now when he's still a teen,which will help him even more.

U20 WC? When your already part of the 1st team at club?
    Senior NT, which is a mess, play for that or take a vacation in anticipation of preseason? Even if he went to Gold Cup he would be a bencher since Altidore is 1st choice.

12. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Guys, quit overthinking things. He's a ginger.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Probably for the Best. He should be resting for Bremen's pre-season. He needs to fight it out for a starring role in the Fall.

The Irish Rover and Winoman repped this.
  14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I feel it was just massively miscommunication but he will benefit. Arriving to pre-season warmed and rested and fighting for either a super-sub role or starting spot. I think it's far better this way. Maybe even next year he can get a role with the Olympic squad.

15. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    While I cant wait for a day when we have entrenched STARs in roles for the USMNT, it doesnt serve us to have a bunch of teens in roles that are important for big games...

but after what was witnessed yesterday, I dont care. If we are going to lose like that, it might as well be playing with youth so they can grow.

If we dont win shit, then what is the point of worrying about how old someone is... we cant win anyway

The Irish Rover repped this.
  16. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Any transfer activity for WB this offseason?

17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They're signing a forward (-_-) from Hannover.

Werder seems to have one big-fish signing per summer, and I doubt Fullkrug is it.

Kruse and AJ are on the way out, but I'm not plugged into any rumors about additional moves.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, this mistake is unforgivable from Berhalter. If he was on the fence with Sargent then he should have just left him with the u-20’s. He could have benefited from the games, and while he may have kept Soto off the field, one would hope that he actually would have played at RW and replaced the less impressive KDLF.

appwrangler repped this.
  19. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    It shows his incompetence...truthfully

20. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sargent is above that level though. Why not make room for others like Soto.

Aslo, wasn't Lleget's injury a factor in Sargent being left off?

21. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I"m good with Josh not playing in Poland - he's conquered that level already and giving Soto a chance to play lead is good for development. However, that means he should have been on the GC squad - Morris and Zardes have shown their ceiling. The idea that Josh needs rest this summer is nonsense- he needs first team minutes against the best competition possible, any way he can get them. He's very talented, but his resume of actual games against men is still pretty short.

22. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Yeah, I don't think he needs the rest. His second half of the Bundesliga season was more heavily weighted to DNPs and late-game offensive sub roles and he probably wasn't overly taxed physically. Don't think he played with the reserves in calendar '19. Given his situation, minutes seemed to be what's called for him and his development, not rest, especially since there's no reason to think he's the every-game starter come the fall. Doubt WB will overplay him in the upcoming season either, though I'd love to see him regularly start.

23. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An observation: Werder’s coach commented last spring that Sargent was too good for the U23 team but not quite there to be a regular 18 game day player. This seems to where he is with US team at the moment, at least in Berhalter’s eyes.

I firmly believe he should have been in this gold cup roster. But for both club and country he is in no mans land. Since I don’t see him train day in day out It’s hard to 100% judge. Maybe he has dropped in form, lost drive or something.

Eleven Bravo and largegarlic repped this.
  24. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Play him at RF.

Although I appreciate Rennicks goal, I would have replaced Sargent for Rennicks and either Ledezma, Konrad, Cerrillo, Real, or Araujo (probably Konrad) for Amon.

Ultimately our XI should have been....

Weah——-Soto———Sargent
    ——Pomykal—-Mendez——-
    —————Durkin—————-
    Gloster————————Dest
    ———-Keita——Richards——-
    —————Scott——————

Bench: Ochoa, McKenzie, Araujo, Servania, Ledezma, Amon, Llanez

...that said, the wisest decision would have been to brought Sargent to the GC.