The Red Baron: Josh Sargent at Norwich City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. markandrew78

markandrew78 Member

Jun 10, 2007
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Good, Hertha were being little bishes, acting like minnows, defending the 1-0 CONCACAF style.

onefineesq and eliwood repped this.
  3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I almost added "unless it comes through Sargent" to the end of this post. Missed opportunity there.

4. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Yes! Haven't heard any props for Josh by the announcers yet. He did so well there into create one of the only chances if the game.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #1980 Suyuntuy, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Still, with Pizza scoring, he's keeping ahead of our boy on the supersub list.

PS: Reading the Bremen forums, the fact that they call Pizarro, who after all is only 40, "der alte Mann," makes me feel like a mummy.

6. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    "to" create. Undone by auto edit twice in one evening.

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Bremen have a fragile team psychology. They just have to bear up and welcome Sarge into the game at the tail end because he definitely adds a wrinkle late. Coming in at 75' or so looks good to me. He needs 5 minutes to warm up and find the game, anyway.

8. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
  9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I watched the whole thing, was inches from turning it off when the last fracas happened... My laziness for once paid off.

That said, Bremen looked pretty pedestrian for 94 minutes. Saved by the woodwork 2x. But Hertha fell asleep. Sarge looked lively.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pizarro is 40 years old and playing professional sports. Unless he’s actually a robot that’s basically impossible to do if you are partying too much

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Sargent made decent runs, though nothing ground breaking. His minutes and Bobby Wood's looked very similar. Hertha hit the woodwork at least three times in this (Selke off the right post early, that tip by the keeper onto the crossbar, and the later game turn-and-shoot that hit the top left [or was that last one the Hoffenheim game? too much soccer]). Werder had no business being able to steal a point here. I'd say Sargent was okay. He did draw that foul, but it was really incredible luck the free kick scored.

taylor and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    BTW, why does anyone jump on a FK when the ball is on the ground? So weird and dumb.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have to jump before they know the shot is a worm burner.

striker repped this.
  15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    did you ever play? If you don't jump before the ball is quite kicked, you can't get up from 10 yds away.

16. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    The free kick might take .3 seconds to cross the 10 yards. Human reaction time is .2 seconds or so.

If you wait to see where the ball's going before deciding to jump, you might as well not jump.

17. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sargent had one bad touch about 30 seconds after he came on and after that he was very physical and attacking and did ok .... he only got one chance to attack the goal and he took it and was hammered down .. then the Alt Mann did his thing.

Let's not forget he is 18, his coach put him in on the road when they were down a goal. That is a good sign. He just needs to keep training hard and be ready.

markandrew78 repped this.
  18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His escapades are well documented. Don't you think Gareca would have used him?

19. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Putting in Bobby Wood like performances as an 18 yo is a pretty good thing. I am ecstatic about an 18 yo forward doing some decent thing and not looking out of place in the Bundesliga.

I wish he played more minutes for my sake but actually like the way they are bringing him along. Twenty minutes gives them plenty of "tape" to review with him. Maybe he could absorb more, but keeping it short makes it easier for them to make him accountable for every play. I'd bet he continues to put in okay or better performances and earns more minutes sooner rather than later. Even if this is all he gets this season, he will still be able to improve significantly.

The Irish Rover and PalmettoSpur repped this.
  20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Why? Watch the foot. Watch the ball. It's not a supersonic object.

ebbro repped this.
  21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    If you say so. But still. Keeper is looking for the over ball. They will never see one that gets under a jumping defender. Not sure it's the high % play on a ball that close in.

22. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Joker is the card (originally The Fool in the Tarot).

Its meaning changes with the card game most popular in the culture using the term. In English, the joker in poker is a wild card that can take any value. So a joker is someone unpredictable, a bit crazy.

In German, the Joker is the last stand card, the one you use to save yourself when all other alternatives don't work, in games like Euchre.

In Spanish, the joker is the comodin, a card that is used to replace any other card in games like canasta, where it can replace any other card in plays, with the emphasis on that versatility.

So a joker in English is the unpredictable, in German the expected savior, and in Spanish the Jack-of-all-trades.

appwrangler, TarHeels17, orcrist and 3 others repped this.
  24. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joker can also be a person, like the court jester. Hence the dancing guy on the joker playing card.

At any rate, maybe in German soccer-talk is does mean "last sub", not just "sub". But I think it is just any sub (and not specific to a Pumuckl sub).

Gorky, hava and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Hmmm. I only played in college so maybe things have changed since then.

Somehow, looking at the knee to ball approach and whether chest was open or closed, I was able to figure out wether it was going high or low... but maybe college players were easier to read.