The Red Baron: Josh Sargent at Norwich City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to disagree with that. He made runs in the final third that his teammates didn't find. He turned the ball over once when he wasn't aware there was a defender closing him in from behind. Then, he tried to play an attacker through but it was cut out. Also, he had one pass to Klaassen that Klaassen should have got to but wasn't quick enough. Pretty good performance for me.

2. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And here's the all-touches to back that up:

3. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    sequence at 20 seconds mmmmmmmmmm

wixson7 repped this.
  4. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jojo really didn’t do any favors for Sargent. He could have set him up a couple of times. Tbf, he tried. He’s just less than impressive.

I thought Pizarro made a poor decision to away from Josh once, as well.

I think Josh was fine. And if Jojo is the standard for a starter, they’d be better off with Josh, imo.

5. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I’m glad others had a better impression than I did.

6. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Going by the all touches, 1st touch is great, body awareness and shielding, hold up play.. everything is so very tasty.

Blown away by how technically sound he is.

7. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fun to see him play today (as mentioned, it's been a bad weekend for yanks' minutes in the BL). He was OK. Nothing special it seemed, but not bad.

striker repped this.
  8. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Thought he was okay. He had a few nice sequences but showed his age in others.

Could have had an assist later in the game.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was good, did his job. Good hold up play, some nice touches in tight space, a couple good runs that weren't rewarded and a flub or two and one poor turnover. Fine performance given the frantic nature of the game.

Think it's time for a start though. Think he's ready.

10. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He was good.

11. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I just don't get people watching the all touch clip and thinking he had a poor or middling game. Not a superstar performance but he was on the field for what, 25 minutes, and it was largely clean touches, smart plays and a few really sweet decisions/passes/combinations etc. So damn excited for this guy. It's amazing how much has transpired since I (and probably many others) first saw him in the winter of '16-'17.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #1862 Suyuntuy, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    At the very least we can say that so far he's the best Yank player in European first-division soccer this weekend.

And it's likely to stay that way because, let's be honest, who cares what Bornstein does with Netanya?

PS: Adams is starting, so there's a challenger to the title!

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have been eating leftover hamburger for so long in YA that we forgot what it’s like to have steak.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    2016-17 we had Bobby Wood to savor over :cry:

The Irish Rover repped this.
  15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm having PTSD flashing back to Jozy at Sunderland.

16. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    In this case, Sargent has already scored more.

17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He's great when you add in his off the ball play.

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hype profile:

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/1/28/18194994/josh-sargent-usmnt-striker-future-werder-bremen

Pulisic will be expected to live up to the production of Donovan, and he’s already better at the club level than Donovan ever was. McKennie will be expected to match or surpass the career of Michael Bradley, and he’s already reached a similar status at club level. Sargent will be a bitter disappointment if he ends up matching the career of McBride or Altidore. To be considered someone who lived up to his potential, Sargent will need to be the best striker to ever play for the United States.

I’m betting on him to pull it off because beyond his skill, Sargent also has the right mentality. He has been deliberate about putting himself in the right situations to develop.

19. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    lol the author of that SB nation article tweeted a while back something to the effect of, she "doesn't see it with sargent."

a lot of American soccer media act like their previous takes never happened.

***another example, Matt Doyle REPEATEDLY saying tyler adams should be a rb**

Winoman repped this.
  20. kumuyc

kumuyc Member

Nov 7, 2016
    I think the reaction is to this sequence:
    https://streamable.com/5zq79

When Augustinsson is looking for an outlay Sargent isn't even an option and when the play stops he immediately puts his hands on knees seemingly exhausted.

bballshawn repped this.
  21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Eggstein passes to Sargent and that's a goal. That's not exhaustion, that's frustration gesture.

onefineesq, Excellency and appwrangler repped this.
  22. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i think its doubly frustrating for sargent because hes the kind of forward that makes that pass. not sure perpetually shooting isnt the right mentality, but hes clearly someone that takes a broader perspective of the position

Zinkoff repped this.
  23. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Such a typical american trash article. Disrespectful to our retired players. Increadibly arrogant about the projected path of unproven teenagers. This sort of shite really destroys progress and realistic expectations.

onefineesq, Zinkoff, Dirt McGirt and 2 others repped this.
  24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He has time on his side. Another 10-15 years. He should be the record goalscorer of any Yank in Europe.

25. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a lot of faith in him at this point, but I’m not really comfortable with projecting greatness. I think if you’re going to do that, he’s as good of a candidate as any. But injuries happen, bad coaches get jobs, bad transfers, there are also a lot of other prospects coming up and any of them could prove to be better than him.

But in the immediate future, I think it’s perfectly fine to praise him and be excited about how good he could be. The Adu thing is just dumb at this point cuz comparing these kids to him completely disrespects the judgement of the top leagues and teams that are scouting and playing our kids now.