The Red Baron: Josh Sargent at Norwich City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    This may be anathema but I think Sargent is smarter than Pulisic, hence harder to predict. Still, gotta see more of him.

2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, but that clearance must've tightened a few sphincters on that Bremen sideline. Also, he's got to be a little cleaner with his headers. A couple of better touches off his head would've allowed Bremen a couple of more dangerous opportunities. He does hold the ball up very well and force the opponents to take him down which wins his team some time.

3. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1803 mace, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    I tuned in for the reply and watched his minutes. I loved how during his first minutes at one point he received the ball under pressure, moved towards center and got off a completed pass while getting hacked and drawing a yellow. He looked sharp overall in his limited minutes.

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    An 18 year old CF...how many are there in the top 4 leagues that are getting playing time?

Very, very few.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josh was indirectly mentioned in a Kicker article about Harnick. Concerning the last game the article mentioned that the starting 11 wasn’t and is not set in stone, that Harnick does not have a starting position locked up. (JoJo is injured and probably would have started). Kohfeldt is quoted as saying “it was a decision between him and Sargent. Harnick was very, very good at training all week. Also, in this game (against Han96) it was about showing something. Sargent can of course also do that. But to be a player who can lead, that was another argument for Harnick”.

Sooo....it looks like Sargent is really getting in the mix of the first 11. Of note though is JoJo was also injured, which is why Sargent was considered to start last game (according to the article).

In Hannover übernahm Werders Martin Harnik als Rechtsaußen den Platz von Johannes Eggestein, der wegen Sprunggelenksproblemen ausfiel. Beim Auswärtserfolg (1:0) gegen seinen Ex-Verein legte er das Siegtor von Milot Rashica auf. Zum perfekten Tag fehlte dem 31-Jährigen dann aber doch etwas. http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/...ikel_was-harnik-zum-perfekten-tag-fehlte.html

6. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016

Josh is 21 months younger than "JoJo" and has one more goal in 14 less first team appearances.....

Werder is lucky he picked them.

Hell he's 7 months younger than Alexander Isak and has two more Bundesliga goals.... And Isak cost Dortmund 9 million Euros.

And yes, I know his goals are a super small sample size....But in that small sample he's produced more than Bundesliga talents that are slightly older and seemingly more well regarded.

Zinkoff and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious how Josh's position with his team would look if he was at Dortmund instead. It's not like they have a large surplus of striking options, and I think most on here would rate him higher than Isak.

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Thanks for the mugshots. Pizarro is 40 and (presumably) aging out. Who are the real competitors for playing time next season (of the above group, assuming no standout additions next summer)?

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josh has to do something with that hair. He's starting to look like the son of Carrot Top. :D

DHC1, KenC, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  10. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    He really looks so clean and tidy on the ball. For a guy with some size and ability to play back to goal, his control is really impressive. Pretty sure that clip at the end was him apologizing to Bobby Wood for being about to take over all his national team minutes.

Zinkoff repped this.
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    You're right. He's representing millions of redheads. Needs to adopt a more professional look.

12. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Jozy might have something to say a out that. Lmao

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Considering they sent Isak back to the Regionalliga West, that's not exactly a high bar.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    he does have a tough mountain to climb. But I do wonder how much of it is HYPE?

15. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my. I love our boy, but he does look to be the goofiest of the lot in this line-up. I'm glad look can be deceiving. Can't wait to see him make even more of impact at Werder.

16. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think too much. Movement, performance, physicality, technique, smarts. Results. Sargent.

17. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JoJo. Osako. Rashica. Bartels will also (maybe) be healthy and back to his form. Some rumors that JoJo may be moving as he is renegotiating his contract soon.

TimB4Last repped this.
  18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Keep the hair, it makes easier to follow him on the tiny screens.

Zinkoff, orcrist, quolo and 4 others repped this.
  19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I was referring to Isak.

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Weird discussion of Sargent's appearance on this thread. He looks fine. In fact, my advice is don't change. He looks like a lion among cockroaches.
    Yeah, I'm tired of players who all look the same.

orcrist, mace, Starman* and 1 other person repped this.
  21. nikeboots

nikeboots Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Ohio/Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TxEx, mace, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing wrong with looking goofy.

23. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    I have a weird feeling he gets a start this weekend.

24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I feel we've pushed the post count here high enough to justify that.