The Red Baron: Josh Sargent at Norwich City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bunde...g-florian-kohfeldt-at-werder-bremen-2918-1515

2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That quote does suggest there might be some starts in his near future.

3. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    “He is not going to start every week”. Pretty strong implication that he is going to start some weeks. Of course it could be something lost in translation, assuming that was in German.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, in the Kicker German article it straight up says in the intro paragraph "Sargent continues his rise and should expect a start or two in the back half of the season. However, his trainer continues, as always, to keep the expectations realistic." (interpretation, not literaral translation)

"Joshua Sargent setzt seinen Aufwärtstrend fort und dürfte im Verlauf der Rückrunde auch noch zum einen oder anderen Startelf-Einsatz für Werder Bremen kommen. Allerdings rückt sein Trainer auch gewohnt realistisch die Maßstäbe zurecht."

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Paul Stalteri, who coached the Canadian U-17 when they faced the USA U-17 with Sargent, has been around Werder lately (coaching the "traditional" Bremen team, that took part of the indoor tournament for "tradtional" -that is, former- BuLi players in, funnily enough, Oldenburg; he may have a further role with Bremen this coming season) and Deich Stube interviewed him. He gave some candid opinions about our guy:

DS: Now you got Josh Sargent, from the USA. How well do you know him?
    PS: Well, I do not know him personally, but I've known him as a player for a while, because he was in the U-17 USA NT, and we played against him during that time.

DS: Were you a coach or an assistant coach? What was your role there?
    PS: Coach.

DS: The Canadian U-17?
    PS: The Canadian, we saw him often there, also in the qualifying tournament we played in Panama. At that time he was, as I said, one of the most dangerous players with the USA. They had a good team and he was one of the best. A very dangerous player, a true central number nine, and at the time we noted he was very good.

DS: Can he do it at Werder? Establish himself permanently?
    PS: It's not easy to say. I mean, he was one of the best at the U-17 team. When he plays in Germany now you have to remember he's only 18. He can have a good future, but he won't be scoring two goals in two games always. He will not be scoring in every game, everybody must realize that.

It comes to a point in league play when the other players, the other teams know him better. It comes that difficult point for him now. It won't be as easy as it was at first. In the beginning it tends to be easier than it is later, once the player is well-known.

But still he has one... what I know of him as an opposing coach and have seen myself... he's a good player with a clear mind. I believe he will do it. And hopefully he's following the right path.

---

"Clear mind" as in "guter kopf" (good head) has to do with focus. What he's saying is that he's one of those guys who completely focuses in-game. I think we all noticed how good his attacking off-the-ball movement was for a newbie. That's a sign of top notch focus.

It's what Stalteri is saying.

Zinkoff, Deeneaus, gunnerfan7 and 9 others repped this.
  6. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Sounds like the weather man when he is being coy and saying it's partly cloudy with a chance of rain. It's also partly sunny with a chance of beer at the beach, just not as dramatic in its presentation. I'm sure he is killing it in training and they don't want to blow the horn too loud. Would you if you had a gem?

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    What kinda wages is ole Josh on?

Three and Three repped this.
  8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Near-literally it translates to "is expected to make one or more starts" and can be translated as "should expect a start or two", "should get some starts" or similar. "Won't start every game " is a bit of a stretch, but is still within reason.

Bottom line is he's going to get PT, probably including starts, but IMO the meat is at the end of the sentence. "Allerdings rückt sein Trainer auch gewohnt realistisch die Maßstäbe zurecht" translates as "but his coach is also adjusting the standards as usual" (Google translate is improving! :thumbsup:).

Bottom line, he's going to get more PT and some starts before season's end and that PT will not include (many) garbage minutes

10. gruenweiss87

gruenweiss87 Member

Werder Bremen
    Germany
    Sep 9, 2018
    #1785 gruenweiss87, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Jo Eggestein picked up an injury and won’t be fit for tomorrow’s game at Hannover. With Osako still playing at the Asian Cup for Japan, Sargent is likely to see at least some playing time. Judging by the photos Harnik was on the first team during the training match but he, Rashica, Pizarro, and Sargent are the candidates for the 2 starting spots alongside Kruse.
    Update: When asked today how Harnik has been performing in training recently, Kohfeldt just replied “extremely well”.

11. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman, TxEx, Tom Collingsworth and 3 others repped this.
  14. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    He's only been on for 5 mins so far but his movement has been great

15. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Wouldve had 2 goal scoring chances with better passes

16. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Namdynamo, EruditeHobo, comoesa and 29 others repped this.
  17. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    freisland, kba4life1 and ShaftBrewer repped this.
  18. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im surprised they didnt swap jerseys

19. brjohnson

brjohnson Member

May 30, 2015
    indiana
    your work is incredibly appreciated.

freisland, gunnerfan7, Winoman and 7 others repped this.
  20. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Sargent plays like a much older player. A lot of young attackers get around the 18, and they start trying to force things. If the play isn't there, Sargent holds the ball up, or finds a simple pass to an open teammate, or dribbles toward the center of the field and switches the point of attack. On top of that, he makes incredibly dangerous runs, and genuinely had 3 good scoring chances in 10 minutes (if his teammates could've crossed it accurately).

I'm excited, and I like the way they're using him. Hopefully, they'll give him another 15-20 in their next match.

comoesa, gunnerfan7, Winoman and 5 others repped this.
  21. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    This should be one of the central tenets of Big Soccer boosterism. We've seen it hold true with a certain other Yank in Germany.

22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Thank you, but after watching the loop a few times I'm feeling a little bruised and battered myself.

ttrevett repped this.
  23. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Other than his clearance that resulted in a shot, looks like his decision making and movement was pretty good.

24. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Thanks!

I always come away surprised at how skillful he is. Don't expect that from some so tall and lanky.

He's quite good

25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see him with some good old fashioned hold up play. He was fouled twice, won some headers, and helped secure the narrow win. Mature and valuable performance by an 18 year old.