The Red Baron: Josh Sargent at Norwich City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Man if you take the soccer context out of this, this post is all full of sexual innuendo :ROFLMAO:

neems, USA-Zebuel and lmorin repped this.
  2. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think you might need to have an incognito session lol

frankburgers repped this.
  3. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While you might ultimately be right, I would argue that the EPL is a much tougher league than the Bundesliga these days, and to say that Sunderland/Hull were poor fits for getting the most out of Jozy's skill set would be a massive understatement. Jozy has done a lot of impressive things in his club career and for the national team. I will be happy if Sargent can do that well, though I think he has the upside to be better.

Winoman repped this.
  4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think the culprit was an old one: When the opposition has a 2-0 goal advantage and they let you have the ball, you get really comfortable with it and stop playing defense in your own end. They stopped playing (defense) and stood stock still while Leipzig played around them and thru them.

5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    They brought him along perfectly. Still are. Bremen have a very good reputation for that as I understand it from others.

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Let's see how he does when they start paying attention to him.

But Bremen has a great front three scheme that should give him opportunities. I'm hoping they continue using him as a sub for the rest of the year.

7. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe me, I'm in the "coach knows what he is doing" camp. But, I had to double check your stats (thought they were exaggerated) but holy crap, Bremen's offense sucks. When the goal leaders (M. Eggestein, Kruse) have only 4 goals a piece half way through the season, that sucks for you as a coach and team. Third is Osako with 3. Josh is the 4th most profilic goal scorer after 50 minutes. Let that sink in. After 17 games, Josh has played 50 minutes and is the 4th most prolific goalscorer.

Now, as that sinks in, I could feel the pull of the "coach has had his head in the sand" camp. But, Kohfeldt has spoken highly of Josh all along, I think coach knows what's up and understands Josh's potential. So, these good results for Josh are likely a result of the patience and maturing in becoming a pro over the summer and fall. i.e., good talent combined with good coaching.

Man, I can't wait for die Rückrunde. IMHO, this is a golden generation of U23s (heck, U20s). I've never seen anything like this, nothing close to this. Even if some fade with time, this is a really solid group. They can't all fade away.

8. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1683 mace, Dec 22, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    And....Josh is the only goalscorer at Werder without a Kicker rating. In other words, he hasn't played enough to get rated in a game. The kid has been extremely effective. Yes, the sample size is super small (50 minutes, 3 games). But, I'd much rather see 2 goals vs. no production. Exciting. And yes, his soccer IQ seems to be very good off the ball.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Sargent off the ball movement is something you don't see often in a Yank. Always looking for the hole.

I wouldn't give up on Haji yet, either. Those two may become this cycle's strike force.

10. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not when we have players like Soto, Ferreira and Weah. Right now Haji is behind those players IMO.

11. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I hope you’re wrong, but only because I hope Soto blows up as well.

12. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All Josh has done is taken every single opportunity provided to him and capitalized on them.

Dominate the U17 CONCACAF and World Cups, no problem.

U20 World Cup at age 17? Silver boot.

US senior debut? Goal.

Bremen U23s, first pro minutes at age 18...7 goals in 12 appearances.

Bundesliga debut? Goal on his first damn touch.

And now he continues to reward Bremen's patience and confidence in him with another goal and some really excellent hold up play. This kid is special, and I have no issue at all with how Werder have brought him along. Four months ago he had never kicked a ball in a pro environment, and now he's clearly a 1st team Bundesliga player and has the entire winter break to get more settled with the bunch.

He could realistically be an every week starter by March the way this is going, but even a few hundred minutes off the bench would be an excellent start to his career there.

13. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not see the game but saw the German highlight show. They mentioned that he has two shots and two goals in his BL career. Nice.

14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Need to get that crystal ball cleaned :p

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Christmas always comes early for some. Congrats to Josh. 2 goals in under 50 minutes of play.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1692 BostonRed, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018

Congratulations, @joshsargent! After his second Bundesliga hit, the US striker was also able to secure our community's Man of the Match crown for the first time. #Werder

FIXED.

17. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    I was going to post a similar response!! Glad I am not the o my dirty mi d here! lol

eliwood repped this.
  18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I thought he only got like 25 minutes in that match. Was he that great in it?

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

20. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Hmm he has really high expectations for our guy

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Didnt Jozy also nick his 1st goal for Villarreal at age 18?

Hopefully, Josh can add to this. If he were to finish the season with 5 league goals; it would say a lot for him going into the off-season.

From what I have seen online; the fans are really digging him.

22. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    I'm generally fine with the way Josh is being brought along. That said, his coach sounds less like someone who is trying to keep Josh hungry and grounded and more like a guy who doesn't want to be second-guessed by the fans for Josh's past/future lack of playing time.

The professional way to handle this sort of thing is to be supportive of the young player in your praise publicly and share your areas for improvement with player privately.

23. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Man that coach is really devoted to the "keep him grounded" plan.

24. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    What a luxury to have a striker who can hold up the ball and finish in the Bundesliga at 18, needing now to focus on tactical improvement.